The Island in P Forge

VOLNPA

Big 10 SUX!
Taking a 4 day trip down to Tennessee for the home opener. Rented a cabin. Plan to do some hiking. Aside from the outdoor stuff we do wanna keep the kids interested.

Has anyone been to The Island in Pigeon Forge? Some of the stuff looks cool but also seems tourist trapish and could be obnoxiously overcrowded.

Also accepting ideas off the beaten path.

TIA

I've not been, but have a lot of friends herein Georgia who go up frequently, and they love it.

Reactions: 1 person
Find the island to be overcrowded for most of the year, the only time we ever go there is when we head up that direction the weekend before Christmas every year (I will say though that our tolerance of crowds is lower than most though). Have you looked into Anakeesta, great area to have a beer and relax with great views but also plenty of kids activities. Both times we have been the crowds have not been too bad either.

Anakeesta - Experience the Magic of the Smoky Mountains

Reactions: 2 people
Have a beer at the bar in jimmys resort
Ride the wheel. Great views and they’re air cooled
Have the nacho at his restaurant
Unless everyone is starving and you’ve got the cash don’t go to Paula Deans restaurant. It’s really just above average breakfast to me.
Go early to avoid the crowds. Believe me you’ll have more fun. It gets really busy around mid day.

Find the island to be overcrowded for most of the year, the only time we ever go there is when we head up that direction the weekend before Christmas every year (I will say though that our tolerance of crowds is lower than most though). Have you looked into Anakeesta, great area to have a beer and relax with great views but also plenty of kids activities. Both times we have been the crowds have not been too bad either.

Anakeesta - Experience the Magic of the Smoky Mountains

Looks pretty sweet. Are you able to choose the red enclosed chondola to get to and from? Wife thinks it looks awesome but isn't a fan of the open air chondolas.

Looks pretty sweet. Are you able to choose the red enclosed chondola to get to and from? Wife thinks it looks awesome but isn't a fan of the open air chondolas.

Yeah, they let you choose, and just stand off to the side until the type that you chose comes up. It seems to be a lot more of the enclosed ones anyways

Have a beer at the bar in jimmys resort
Ride the wheel. Great views and they’re air cooled
Have the nacho at his restaurant
Unless everyone is starving and you’ve got the cash don’t go to Paula Deans restaurant. It’s really just above average breakfast to me.
Go early to avoid the crowds. Believe me you’ll have more fun. It gets really busy around mid day.

Can’t speak for the breakfast there but the dinner was top notch. We went about a year ago and have been dying to get back

Can’t speak for the breakfast there but the dinner was top notch. We went about a year ago and have been dying to get back

I’m sure they both have there high points. I just wasn’t impressed with it. You get a ton of food tho so there’s an upside to it

I've heard very mixed reviews about Paula Deans. "Slightly above average buffet food".

Reactions: 2 people
The island, minus the obnoxious wheel, is actually pretty nice. Definitely not your typical PF cheese fest. If you are looking for air brushed t-shirts or samurai swords you will be disappointed.

The island, minus the obnoxious wheel, is actually pretty nice. Definitely not your typical PF cheese fest. If you are looking for air brushed t-shirts or samurai swords you will be disappointed.

Nice.

Actually trying to avoid sideshows. Wanna relax, find some local goodness and avoid crowds...until Saturday of course.

Think we'll check out Knoxville when we arrive...head to Alcoa to check out Bread of Honor and then head over to our cabin. Do some hiking and Anakeesta 1 night. Island may be an option still...depends on where the days take us.

Nice.

Actually trying to avoid sideshows. Wanna relax, find some local goodness and avoid crowds...until Saturday of course.

Think we'll check out Knoxville when we arrive...head to Alcoa to check out Bread of Honor and then head over to our cabin. Do some hiking and Anakeesta 1 night. Island may be an option still...depends on where the days take us.
How many in your group? Ages?

The Island seemed very tourist trappy to me but was kinda cool for an evening I guess. Agree it’s not as cheesy as most of PF/Gatlinburg.

We did not ride the Ferris Wheel. It was a bit overpriced for my family of 5.

4...2 adult, 2 teens

Play the escape game at the island. All are fun. With a group that size Mars, gold rush, and the terrorist one are all solvable with a 4 some. Prison break and the heist would be more challenging but if u can get in a game with other people then those would be fun too.

Play the escape game at the island. All are fun. With a group that size Mars, gold rush, and the terrorist one are all solvable with a 4 some. Prison break and the heist would be more challenging but if u can get in a game with other people then those would be fun too.

I am actually inspecting a prison next week in State College. Part of the process is devise a viable escape plan.

Now I kinda want to do the Prison Escape Room you mentioned just to see how realistic it is.

Nice.

Bread of Honor?

I am actually inspecting a prison next week in State College. Part of the process is devise a viable escape plan.

Now I kinda want to do the Prison Escape Room you mentioned just to see how realistic it is.

I think those games are based more around solving puzzles and finding clues. It's not about tying sheets together and escaping.

I'm also curious what Bread of Honor is.

Are we sure Bread of Heaven has a restaurant now? Seems like he opened in a new spot a few years ago but it didn't last very long. Last I heard was he just had a food truck in front of Kroger on the main street there in Alcoa. I know his restaurant in Alcoa closed years ago unfortunately. Still good bbq and I've stopped at the truck a few times when in Alcoa.

He also did Sunday lunches for awhile at a place off Magnolia. It was a buffet style lunch with lots of bbq and home made side. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Are we sure Bread of Heaven has a restaurant now? Seems like he opened in a new spot a few years ago but it didn't last very long. Last I heard was he just had a food truck in front of Kroger on the main street there in Alcoa. I know his restaurant in Alcoa closed years ago unfortunately. Still good bbq and I've stopped at the truck a few times when in Alcoa.

He also did Sunday lunches for awhile at a place off Magnolia. It was a buffet style lunch with lots of bbq and home made side. Good stuff.
Not 100% sure either way. Just researched a bunch mentioned at the beginning of the Restaurant thread. Seemed to be pretty popular across the board. Guess I'll further my research. Thanx

Dude, that’s been out of business for a while. He had a food truck going, but not sure that’s still a thing.

Frick...Google listed it as relocated but still open.

OK...where do I wanna eat lunch in Knoxville then? Anything along the river with a view?

VN Store

Back