Pest Control Discussion Thread

Coug

Any pest control people around?

So I've had a recurring problem with ants. When I say recurring it's every year, the same ants, the same pathways. I'm fairly sure they're Argentine ants. I've bought professional ant baits online, Advion Ant Gel(sweet bait) as well as Advance 375A(protein bait). Sometimes colonies are in the mood for sweet and sometimes they're looking for protein. I put the bait out, they love it, the numbers dwindle, then I don't see them. This might last for days or weeks. I check back and the ants are back again. I figure either new ants are constantly moving into old nests or I'm having no luck actually killing the queen.

So I've had a recurring problem with ants. When I say recurring it's every year, the same ants, the same pathways. I'm fairly sure they're Argentine ants. I've bought professional ant baits online, Advion Ant Gel(sweet bait) as well as Advance 375A(protein bait). Sometimes colonies are in the mood for sweet and sometimes they're looking for protein. I put the bait out, they love it, the numbers dwindle, then I don't see them. This might last for days or weeks. I check back and the ants are back again. I figure either new ants are constantly moving into old nests or I'm having no luck actually killing the queen.

As a Biologist, finding the nest is the best advice I can give you. Anything harsh to those ants on that would make them move, if they survive. But they are very resilient (Butch-isms anyone?). Terro is a good product for most but if you have a real infestation, you're going to have to be more thorough. Find the soft spots in your land (I hope it isn't big) and start there first. Insects have been around for hundreds of millions of years so understand you'll have to be vigilant to get rid of them. As in, no open trash, food, drinks, etc. Plus, eventually rooting them out.

Insects breathe through the openings in their exoskeleton so soap and water is a good, safe mix for the environment to suffocate them if you actually find the nest (great for stinging insects). Tracing the source is always the most thorough option. It could be anywhere but remember the two rules of Biology; Survive and Reproduce. Chances are they're near to a food source and they've chosen an optimal place for reproduction. Hope this helps.

Are you using any kind of product to spray around the perimeter of your home?

Terro is a good bait, I've used it before. I'm not sure why some ants just die inside the bait station.

Over concentration of bait to attractant probably. When mixing my own baits, if they die inside it tells me to mix it with more sugar and less borax. So they survive long enough to take it back

Last edited:
Bifen XT

Mix 2 ounces per gallon of water.

Safe for your pets as well.

Ever use borax to make your own baits?

I tried this and it works. Honey and borax mixed and put in milk caps. The ants were all over it in minutes and gone the next day. Also Bifen seems to destroy everything, but with the almost daily rain we've had it's worn off. I got the 25% concentration, 2 tsp per gallon for outside spraying up to 3 feet up the foundation. Should use at least 5 gallons per 1000sft.

Springtails are a pain.

Anyone successfully defeated them when appearing in windows/bathroom? I'd see a couple in the kitchen window/sink every once in a while and never gave them much concern, but the past 4 months after all the rain we had I was killing 60-80 a day over 4 rooms in the house.

I've bought the stuff you pour down drains to eat up all the organic stuff that builds up in pipes. Also got PT Cy-Kick to spray down the drains to kill any living there. I've gotten bifen granules to spread in the yard from the house out 5 feet. Cyonara RTS to spray over the granules. Next step for me will be some Bifen XTS, a 5 gallon sprayer, and more granules.

As a Biologist, finding the nest is the best advice I can give you. Anything harsh to those ants on that would make them move, if they survive. But they are very resilient (Butch-isms anyone?). Terro is a good product for most but if you have a real infestation, you're going to have to be more thorough. Find the soft spots in your land (I hope it isn't big) and start there first. Insects have been around for hundreds of millions of years so understand you'll have to be vigilant to get rid of them. As in, no open trash, food, drinks, etc. Plus, eventually rooting them out.

Insects breathe through the openings in their exoskeleton so soap and water is a good, safe mix for the environment to suffocate them if you actually find the nest (great for stinging insects). Tracing the source is always the most thorough option. It could be anywhere but remember the two rules of Biology; Survive and Reproduce. Chances are they're near to a food source and they've chosen an optimal place for reproduction. Hope this helps.

Champions of Life?

Reactions: 1 person

Our house in CA was built on an anthill, or so it seems. We were constantly fighting a losing battle against the little focks for almost 20 years. Tried everything including Terro. Then an exterminator in TN told us about Taurus. Sprayed around the perimeter of the house and garage once (ONCE!) and a few days later there were no ants. Not one ant. Not one. We spray once every six months or so and haven't had one single ant for years now.

Amazon.com : Taurus SC Termite Insecticide - 1 Each : Garden & Outdoor

Are you using any kind of product to spray around the perimeter of your home?

I have in the past but not recently. Ortho Home Defense Max.

Bifen XT

Mix 2 ounces per gallon of water.

Safe for your pets as well.

Apparently Ortho Home Defense Max contains Bifen but in a much smaller dosage than the actual Bifen XT concentration.

Our house in CA was built on an anthill, or so it seems. We were constantly fighting a losing battle against the little focks for almost 20 years. Tried everything including Terro. Then an exterminator in TN told us about Taurus. Sprayed around the perimeter of the house and garage once (ONCE!) and a few days later there were no ants. Not one ant. Not one. We spray once every six months or so and haven't had one single ant for years now.

Now that's interesting. Active ingredient is Fipronil. That's what's in Frontline Plus that you treat dogs and cats with.

Going to try this. Constantly fighting friggin ants as well. Nothing has worked for more than a week or so.

For fire ants, I found that Ambro works very well.

For all other creepy crawlers, like Coug said, Home Defense is awesome!

Going to try this. Constantly fighting friggin ants as well. Nothing has worked for more than a week or so.

I think it will work very well for you for ants. I can't believe all the grief we had with ants for years and years. It was almost unbearable at times.

We had a major ant problem when we moved in to our home. We started a quarterly spray schedule with a local company. No problems since we started that. Leave it to the professionals.

You can buy the Terro in spout bottles on Amazon. Little streams or dots on the shaded areas of your windowsills. The source for the little rover ants could be in a neighbor’s yard as they travel but look at the base of trees and shrubs. I order Temperin or Tempo on Amazon (lil pricey but a little lasts a good while) and mix it strong. I spray the base areas of a source and the foundation of the wall where you’re experiencing activity. Fire ants are actually easy. Their mounds are obvious. Spray the mounds (they’re glaring), wreck it (sharp stick with two or three figure 8 motions) and bait areas around it with a mixture of advion and niban. You can substitute less strong products you can find at Lowe’s or Home Depot in less severe cases. Diatomaceous earth spread in your yard is another good option.

Reactions: chargervol
I've greatly diminished the colony but haven't killed the queen(s) yet. One big thing I learned was I think the colony is in fact coming from my neighbor's yard which is blocked by a 6 foot privacy fence. This colony must have been/still is gigantic. I also learned you're apparently supposed to store all of these chemicals in climate controlled areas and not your garage. I found some random Amdro indoor/outdoor traps that I put along the fence line. I've seen evidence that they've taken that bait as well. For now, I'm apprehensive about mixing industrial strength pesticides I buy on amazon. That may change. I may toss out some Terro indoor baits just for the hell of it while I wait for the fresh new baits to arrive.

Reactions: butchna
Does anyone else have spiders everywhere outside of the house ?

They live in the soffet and they are everywhere. The black droppings get all over my railings, siding, and concrete on my front porch.

Is there a spray anyone suggests ?

Does anyone else have spiders everywhere outside of the house ?

They live in the soffet and they are everywhere. The black droppings get all over my railings, siding, and concrete on my front porch.

Is there a spray anyone suggests ?

Ortho Home Defense will take care of those easily. It also contain Bifen which is a plus.

Reactions: TN_Transplant

VN Store

Back