Lawnmowers

bray2milton

long time vol
I’m in the market for a new lawnmower. My 13 year old Cub Cadet bit the dust last week. My back up which is a 20 year old Craftsman died 1 hour after my Cub Cadet. What are you guys mowing with and what do you recommend?

I recommend paying someone else to do it. :)

I've always had good luck with Craftsman mowers.

Reactions: 1 person
I’m looking at a husqvarna 61 inch zero turn. Or might just set my whole yard on fire and walk away. 50-50 right now.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm currently running a Troybuilt and have been pleasantly surprised so far.

My small 17hp 42" cut John Deere died a few months ago after almost 21 years of service. Darn parts are extremely expensive. How much do you mow? Less than an acre or more? I cut 1 acre and bought the Hustler residential Raptor zero turn 50" cut. It should last me til I'm too old to ride it. Had a slight steering calibration problem at first that had to be corrected, covered under the warrenty. Make sure you have a local service center that can fix any warrenty issues for you.

If anyone needs there mowers worked on. My paw does it. Or he’ll buy it.

My 40 volt Ryobi is the best mower that I've ever owned. But a lot if my yard is wooded rather than grass. The batteries run down faster if the grass gets extra long. Great for up to about a half an acre.

Bought a 5-acre parcel with a couple old steel buildings on it for my business 5 years ago (now has a new steel building with A/C too), and most of it needs mowing. Got a Gravely 52" ZTR and it's a hoss.

My 40 volt Ryobi is the best mower that I've ever owned. But a lot if my yard is wooded rather than grass. The batteries run down faster if the grass gets extra long. Great for up to about a half an acre.

My girlfriend's got a bunch of 40v Ryobi outdoor power, I'm actually pretty impressed with the power it's got.

Batteries have come a long way.

My girlfriend's got a bunch of 40v Ryobi outdoor power, I'm actually pretty impressed with the power it's got.

Batteries have come a long way.

I also have the 40 volt blower, chainsaw, and hedge trimmer. They're all great. The blower loses the charge the quickest, but it runs continually while the other 2 are run for short periods of time.

I’m looking at a husqvarna 61 inch zero turn. Or might just set my whole yard on fire and walk away. 50-50 right now.

I'm a huge Husqvarna fan. I own a RZ5424. It's a residential zero turn. I paid $3K for it in 2010, it the door. Up to now it's been a decent mower. This year I've issues with it not pulling real well especially the left wheel. After some research it appears that my hydrostatic transmissions are going out. This model has non-serviceable transmissions. I've read that you still can try and salvage them but there is a decent chance they have to be replaced. The transmissions alone are $700 each so basically the lawnmower is junk. Now, I do now a decent amount of property, 4-5 acres. Some fairly steep inclines, but the mower has 250 hrs on it. At 3K for the mower and 8 years of use, that equates to over $300/year for the lawnmower not including the upkeep, gas ect... to me that seems high.

If I do replaced it I will not go with a residential model. My thought process at the time was I could buy 2 residential models for the price of one commercial model thinking I would get at least 1/2 The longevity of the commercial model. I'm not sure my thought process was right.

If anyone needs there mowers worked on. My paw does it. Or he’ll buy it.

That ol boy down there working for Bill Cox’s outfit is a regular Eli Whitney on a lawn mower and loves French fries. Son-of-a-***** can eat four larges and not even belch.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back