Family might get billed after kid topples $132K sculpture

VolFaninFla

Family might get billed after kid topples $132K sculpture

“Our kids were well-supervised and well-behaved,” she said. “We were just standing down the hallway following the bride and groom out.”

Child was obviously not being supervised at the time. I do think that if a child toppled it on another person and injured them, the community center may have been held liable.

Reactions: 1 person
It wasnt insured - therefore the value is questionable -- a HS kid could make one in art class for all anyone knows

It wasnt insured - therefore the value is questionable -- a HS kid could make one in art class for all anyone knows

That’s a very valid point. If I were the family, I’d threaten to counter sue and claim the child suffered trauma from what happened.

I think this is a situation where it should be chalked up to an accident and leave it be.

The video shows the kid basically man handling the statue with obviously no parent around. I'd send them that bill for sure.

Reactions: 5 people
I saw a kid scratch some painting at the National Museum of Art (Smithsonian). Alarms went off and security came over, kid about dropped a deuce in his drawers

If a five year old can destroy a 6 figure piece of art, then it was not properly secured.

I watched it and the kid could hsve been badly hurt...but the center and the parents share responsibility for this accident IMO. Someone could have tripped into that thing and knocked it over..it was not secured worth a dang.

I agree, if I’m the insurance rep first thing I wanna know is why a six year old kid could access it. Not even roped off, then again what parents turn their kids loose at functions to be a bother to everyone and everything around them.

I agree, if I’m the insurance rep first thing I wanna know is why a six year old kid could access it. Not even roped off, then again what parents turn their kids loose at functions to be a bother to everyone and everything around them.

Bad parents. The answer is bad parents.

I dunno why parents would do that, probably the same type parents that let their kid scream incessantly at a restaurant.

If a five year old can destroy a 6 figure piece of art, then it was not properly secured.

Possibly difficult given the sculpture was glass. Anchoring it to the pedestal could damage it or create an issue that visually is not what the artist intended. According to the letter that part of the gallery was closed so the kids should never have been there to start with. I don’t know why you wouldn’t have that piece insured, and I don’t know if that’s the gallery’s responsibility or the artist’s. The whole thing sounds like something you read in a business law class.

Aphrodite of Kansas city, sounds like it's worth closer to $1.32 than the $132k the artist claims its worth to him

I dunno why parents would do that, probably the same type parents that let their kid scream incessantly at a restaurant.

So true!!! parents If your kids are wild and out of control.. go to fast food or Chuck E. Cheese until they learn where they are and respect other people experience

The video shows the kid basically man handling the statue with obviously no parent around. I'd send them that bill for sure.

You place a "valuable" fragile glass piece of "art" in an airport public space (therefore becoming an 'attractive nuisance-because it's dangerous if toppled and it is easily toppled by a young child) and you do not protect it, which the artist AND the airport management did no do, and it gets broke, by a child, who by God's grace wasn't injured as you see him fall with it.

No...I'd counter sue the idiot artist and the airport authority.

Damned if I'd pay a dime.

So true!!! parents If your kids are wild and out of control.. go to fast food or Chuck E. Cheese until they learn where they are and respect other people experience

Come on guys - I'm all for disciplined children and expect that of my own. But the child was 5 not 2 or 3 that requires constant supervision. I'm sure the parents were talking to someone and the child was wondering around. This child was not wild and out of control but curious.

Should the parents have been paying closer attention, sure. But I fault the venue for having a valuable piece of art that was: a. not insured, b. not secured in any way, c. not roped off. If they ever expect children to be in that room - and they obviously did - then they failed to take steps to ensure it wouldn't get broken. At a minimum, it should have been on a larger / taller pedestal to prevent small children from touching it.

They should chalk that up to a lesson learned. I'm sure if they proceed with a lawsuit there will be dozens of lawyers lined up to represent the family for a counter suit. Nobody will win in this scenario.

Family's homeowners insurance would pay and they'd likely try to subrogate against the community center's insurance citing contributory negligence. They'll settle for pennies on the dollar. The attorneys will be handsomely rewarded.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back