Calgary, Banff, and Jasper

Any pointers on fun places to visit or things to do?

I've only been in the winter and it was fantastic then. Make sure to check out the Banff village and Chateau Lake Louise. There is great hiking and mountaineering, also a lot of waterfalls. The summer is their prime time. I would get a trails illustrated map of the area.

I'm looking at going here as well. Looks amazing, and direct flights from Nashville are pretty cheap.

I'm also interested in any recommendations. Ms Danl and I are driving our camper to Banff this summer.

Plano Vol, do you have a specific timeframe already scheduled or are you just doing some preliminary reconnaissance?

If there is any way possible, I would add Yoho National Park, specifically the area around Lake O'Hara, Mount Assiniboine and Mount Robson Provincial Parks to any visit to the Canadian Rockies.

Kananaskis country is also very nice, it is near Canmore on the way to Banff. Front range of the Canadian Rockies.

Kananaskis country is also very nice, it is near Canmore on the way to Banff. Front range of the Canadian Rockies.

Yes, it is. In recent years, a number of westerns, including Open Range and Last of the Dogmen, have been filmed in that general area. Kananaskis country is probably less well known and, thus, less heavily visited than Banff or Jasper National Parks.

Canmore is also directly in the path of the fall migration pattern for golden eagles heading south from points in Alaska and the Yukon (see The Eagle Migration | Rocky Mountain Eagle Research Foundation). According to this webpage, "in good migrating weather, the movement tends to build up during the morning and reach a maximum in mid afternoon. . . . Some years ago eagle enthusiasts from Japan came to see the unique migration. Every day the mountains were shrouded by cloud but about noon on their last day the wind shifted, the clouds lifted and that afternoon over 500 Golden Eagles flowed through. It was almost as if a dam had burst."

Canmore hosts an annual Festival of Eagles (WILD 2017 | Canmore Event to celebrate and connect to wild through interactions, experiences, art and creativity. | Tourism Canmore Kananaskis), which typically coincides with the middle of October.

The trip was AWESOME!!! The scenery was spectacular and the weather was sublime. It's a crying shame that Alexander Keith's IPA is not available down here!

Just heard about this place for the first time 2 weeks ago. I thought my friend was exaggerating the beauty. Your pics are even better than his description. Thank you.

It was a mama bear. She had two cubs with her and was twenty yards away. We weren't about to get out the car to inspect her activities. The say they have to eat roughly 200,000 buffalo berries a day during berry session to help get fat for the cold weather. With that kind of roughage they probably do it a lot whereever and whenever the mood hits.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

VN Store

Back