Ditching the MiniVan

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
So, looking at 6-7 seater SUVs, avoiding monster trucks and $50k+ options, we have listed the Traverse, Durango, Atlas, XC90 as contenders. I just don't care for the Pilot.

Any suggestions/input (other than "get another van" -- my wife is ready to move on)?

I rented a traverse a couple years ago and was very impressed. A lot of room and very comfortable ride. Relatively good fuel mileage based on what I can recall too

I also test drove the Durango a couple years ago and almost went w it, but it was right after the redesign and wasn’t sure about expected reliability.

We stopped and looked at a few today, and the VW is finished very nicely for the price point. The middle-grade model we liked felt much nicer at $38k than the mid/upper $40s Traverse models.

The Infiniti QX60 might fit the bill. Sticker starts at 43k or 45 for AWD.

So, looking at 6-7 seater SUVs, avoiding monster trucks and $50k+ options, we have listed the Traverse, Durango, Atlas, XC90 as contenders. I just don't care for the Pilot.

Any suggestions/input (other than "get another van" -- my wife is ready to move on)?

Wife has an Acadia and loves it. 3 row seating.

I'm nervous about cargo space, with 3 kids and being spoiled by the van for 6 years...

Looks like Traverse and Atlas have the most, followed by the Durango. Acadia, Volvo, and QX60 are a good bit smaller.

I bought a 7 year old suburban. Seats 8. Drives great (it’s our second burb) and the only vehicle my wife will drive now because of its size and the fact it can take punishment in the case of a wreck (she has two family members who have been in serious wrecks in a suburban and both walked away compared to the smaller vehicles). It had 72 k on it when we bought it. Paid 21k for it. I love the suburban.

I'm nervous about cargo space, with 3 kids and being spoiled by the van for 6 years...

Looks like Traverse and Atlas have the most, followed by the Durango. Acadia, Volvo, and QX60 are a good bit smaller.
On our second Buick Enclave, which is the same as the Traverse or Acadia. Never a problem....................except for hitting 3 deer in a herd with the first one.

Subaru is coming out with a new one in July. The Ascend (can seat 7 or 8 depending on the model). My wife wants one. I think some dealers are getting them to display next week

Last edited:
I bought a 7 year old suburban. Seats 8. Drives great (it’s our second burb) and the only vehicle my wife will drive now because of its size and the fact it can take punishment in the case of a wreck (she has two family members who have been in serious wrecks in a suburban and both walked away compared to the smaller vehicles). It had 72 k on it when we bought it. Paid 21k for it. I love the suburban.

We had an Excursion and you cannot get more roomy that that. Wish I never sold it.

Suburbans fall into my "avoiding monster trucks." We are looking for something new and neither of us like to drive trucks that big. We have friends that say they like theirs, though... Glad you do too.

On our second Buick Enclave, which is the same as the Traverse or Acadia. Never a problem....................except for hitting 3 deer in a herd with the first one.

The Acadia/Enclave now have significantly less cargo space than the Traverse. Ex: 12.8 vs 23 cubic feet behind the third row.

The Acadia/Enclave now have significantly less cargo space than the Traverse. Ex: 12.8 vs 23 cubic feet behind the third row.

Yeah there is crap for space in the wife’s Acadia with the 3rd row up.

I dunno, doc. I think if you go midsize SUV, you're going to be disappointed in how much passenger room or how much storage/transport capability you're going to have when compared to the minivan, regardless of what you choose.

Reactions: 2 people
You have different specs than I have found.

Buick Enclave : 204.3 in long
Chev Traverse: 204.3 in long

Enclave: 120.9 wheelbase
Traverse: 120.9 wheelbase

Luggage space: Behind 3rd row

Enclave 23.6 cu. ft
Traverse: 23.0 cu ft

Behind 2nd row:

Enclave 58.0 cu ft
Traverse 57.8 cu ft

Behind 1st row:
Enclave 97.6 cu ft
Traverse 98.2 cu ft

You must have looked up something else. Those 3 (Enclave, Acadia, and Traverse) are the same vehicle.

VN Store

Back