Housing for grad student?

jamaicanvol

Long time lurker here on VN. My daughter is graduating from UT in May and will continue graduate studies in the fall. She currently lives in a student apartment but wants to move to a quieter area. Any suggestions as to good condos/apartment complexes that are more geared to grad students/young professionals? Also, areas of town to stay away from? Thanks!

Long time lurker here on VN. My daughter is graduating from UT in May and will continue graduate studies in the fall. She currently lives in a student apartment but wants to move to a quieter area. Any suggestions as to good condos/apartment complexes that are more geared to grad students/young professionals? Also, areas of town to stay away from? Thanks!

this is where my son is currently living...no complaints.

Home - Greenbrier Ridge Apartments

The 100 block of gay street and downtown rentals in general seem geared to the young professionals and grad students. Can be a bit pricey but very convenient.
As long as your not on market square it’s quiet.
I’m a downtown resident and I’ll say it’s the quietest neighbourhood I’ve lived in.

Lived in steeplechase while in grad school. It's cheaper and sufficiently nice for the life stage I was in. Best part was the commute in from North Knoxville was super easy to campus. I would stay away from going too far West. It can get expensive, the commute is atrocious with the traffic out that way. East and Central Knoxville can often have a reputation of being unsafe that in many cases is a tad bit true. Lived across the river in South Knoxville Junior and senior year, but there is less out that way and that was also around the time Henley Street bridge got shut down for repairs which made the commute terrible.

Lived in steeplechase while in grad school. It's cheaper and sufficiently nice for the life stage I was in. Best part was the commute in from North Knoxville was super easy to campus. I would stay away from going too far West. It can get expensive, the commute is atrocious with the traffic out that way. East and Central Knoxville can often have a reputation of being unsafe that in many cases is a tad bit true. Lived across the river in South Knoxville Junior and senior year, but there is less out that way and that was also around the time Henley Street bridge got shut down for repairs which made the commute terrible.

I've read some reports that North Knoxville has also become unsafe, but I'm unsure as to where exactly in "north Knoxville" they are referring.

Also, thanks to everyone for the replies.

VN Store

Back