Self-Driving Uber Kills Pedestrian

As safe a "You knew it would happen eventually." bet as you could find. Self-driving liability is one of the questions I'd always wondered about when this tech came out.

Yeah liability could become crazy, even as motor vehicle deaths are reduced

Yeah liability could become crazy, even as motor vehicle deaths are drastically reduced

Not much you or I or a computer can do if someone jumps in front of a car. Unfortunately, this article doesn't really say what went down other than the person was not in a crosswalk.

What I'm not understanding:

The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the Tempe police said in a statement.

My question is WTH was this "safety driver" doing?

I thought this was interesting:

Self-driving Uber car kills Arizona pedestrian, police say | Fox News

The U.S. Department of Transportation is considering other voluntary guidelines that it says will help foster innovation. But Transportation Secretary Elaine Chaos also has said technology and automobile companies need to allay public fears of self-driving vehicles, citing a poll showing that 78 percent of people fear riding in autonomous vehicles

My guess is this woman jumped out or was in the road some way. How else do you defeat the computer and a human driver? But of course people are going to picture a woman crossing the road at a red light and the car just plowing through while the driver plays on his phone.

A single death from this should not derail the adoption of the technology. There will of course be hiccups and accidents but if we can reduce vehicle deaths by even 10-20% it will far outweigh these types of events.

A single death from this should not derail the adoption of the technology. There will of course be hiccups and accidents but if we can reduce vehicle deaths by even 10-20% it will far outweigh these types of events.

I think you are seriously underestimating the percentage here. It will probably be 80-90% of lives saved once we take humans out of the driving equation.

I think you are seriously underestimating the percentage here. It will probably be 80-90% of lives saved once we take humans out of the driving equation.

Until the systems get hacked or simply fail. (I've already seen a couple shows based on that scenario)

Until the systems get hacked or simply fail. (I've already seen a couple shows based on that scenario)

skynet_700.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Is the OP post saying sucks because someone died or sucks because it will set back adoption/create suspicion of autonomous cars?

I’m being very conservative on it, you will still see a lot of people who won’t adopt. The point remains it has the potential to vastly decrease expenses and lives lost, so hopefully people won’t overract to these incidences. I imagine when the first cars came out there were plenty of horse and buggy people who thought they were simply death machines.

VN Store

Back