Hip replacement

VolFaninFla

After almost three years of avoiding the inevitable and limping, I will have a hip replacement on 4/4.

Anyone here undergone this procedure? Any tips? Recovery time? Did you have it done in a hospital or an outside clinic?

Last edited:
My wife fractured her hip in January and had a rod inserted. That was four weeks ago and she is doing well, using a cane but can get around. I don't know what the difference would be with a replacement.

Ask your surgeon if he uses an anterior approach or posterior approach. Anterior has advantages in the early phase of recovery. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 person
Ask your surgeon if he uses an anterior approach or posterior approach. Anterior has advantages in the early phase of recovery. Good luck.

Anterior approach...less tissue disruption, faster rehabilitation, fewer restrictions during recovery, less pain, and better mobility, I am told.

Thank you!

Reactions: 2 people
Anterior approach...less tissue disruption, faster rehabilitation, fewer restrictions during recovery, less pain, and better mobility, I am told.

Thank you!

All correct. It’s a tougher procedure to master, but is much better for the patient’s early rehab. Good luck.

Thank you!

My father, and uncle had one done within the last 3 years. A good friend of ours also just had one done. All 3 were in far more pain BEFORE the surgery. It doesn't seem like it now but you'll be a new person. To my knowledge all 3 were done in a hospital. Stick with the rehab and therapy.

My wife had the anterior method done a few years ago. She was doing laps around the floor within three hours. extremely religious about her therapy, all is well. She is so happy she had it done.

After almost three years of avoiding the inevitable and limping, I will have a hip replacement on 4/4.

Anyone here undergone this procedure? Any tips? Recovery time? Did you have it done in a hospital or an outside clinic?

I've not had hip replacement but I've had a partial knee and a full knee replacement. I cant comment on the recovery or location but I am familiar with the post sx fun you will have. Best I can tell you is do exactly as your dr and PT tell you. Do not try to be Billy BadAzz thinking you can overcome the pain or worry that you'll get addicted to pain killers. The doctor will not let you. Take your medication EXACTLY as direction on the times it say. If its every 4 hrs, set your clock and pop the pill. The worst thing you can do is rollercoaster the pain. Once the pain hits and you decide you need the med, it'll still take time to dissolve and kick in all while the pain intensifies. As time goes on and you improve your dr will ween you off of them. And be sure you take a pain med before you go to PT not after. Trust me on this one. I did it once. Only once.

Good luck. You can do it. It wont be fun for a bit but the end will justify the way.

Reactions: 2 people
I had left hip replaced three years ago northern anterior method. I was up on a walker 3 hours after surgery. PT had me going up three steps that night. Spent two days in the hospital surgery on Wednesday home on Friday. Only way to go in my opinion.

Good Luck fellow Vol you will be in my prayers!

Going in at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning for my hip replacement at a surgery center in New Port Richey.

Operation should start at approximately 7:30 and I should be walking out to go home by 1:00 in the afternoon.

I will post an update when I am able to post.

Thank you for all your input & advice.

Going in at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning for my hip replacement at a surgery center in New Port Richey.

Operation should start at approximately 7:30 and I should be walking out to go home by 1:00 in the afternoon.

I will post an update when I am able to post.

Thank you for all your input & advice.

My wife has a consult on Thursday morning. Good luck and t&p your way.

Good afternoon.
Had my hip replacement done on Wednesday morning. Arrived at Longleaf Surgery Center in New Port Richey at 6:00 AM and was heading back home at 12:30.

I was surprised at how little pain I felt. I actually had more pain before walking in.

I now have taken more pills in less than three days than I have taken in the past five years. I've had some side affects like constipation and have had a terrible case of hiccups. Getting a prescription right now which will hopefully help.

The coordination between the surgeons office, the surgery center, nurse, and therapist has been impressive.

Doing my exercises which do hurt a bit but overall this has been better than I imagined.

Thank you again for your suggestions and good wishes.

Reactions: 3 people
Good afternoon.
Had my hip replacement done on Wednesday morning. Arrived at Longleaf Surgery Center in New Port Richey at 6:00 AM and was heading back home at 12:30.

I was surprised at how little pain I felt. I actually had more pain before walking in.

I now have taken more pills in less than three days than I have taken in the past five years. I've had some side affects like constipation and have had a terrible case of hiccups. Getting a prescription right now which will hopefully help.

The coordination between the surgeons office, the surgery center, nurse, and therapist has been impressive.

Doing my exercises which do hurt a bit but overall this has been better than I imagined.

Awesome. So glad you are doing well. My wife had her consult yesterday. We've decided to wait till the fall. She got her first cortisone shot. Hopefully that will give her a little relief. Keep us informed as to how you're doing.

Unreal how fast they get patients ready to go home now. Glad things are going so well for you @

Awesome. So glad you are doing well. My wife had her consult yesterday. We've decided to wait till the fall. She got her first cortisone shot. Hopefully that will give her a little relief. Keep us informed as to how you're doing.

Keep an eye on her blood pressure and any signs of circulation problems. A bad hip can cause complications beyond just trouble walking.

Keep an eye on her blood pressure and any signs of circulation problems. A bad hip can cause complications beyond just trouble walking.

Her blood pressure is fine as long as I'm not around :).

J/K, nah her blood pressure is in check and her circulation seems to be fine. She's relatively young for a hip replacement at 55. She's an identical twin and her sister has already had one. The cortisone shot doesn't seem to be doing her much good.

Thanks for the heads up!:good!:

Good afternoon.

hope it's still going well

VN Store

Back