Windows 10 version 1709

Coug

I see Windows 10 update version 1709 is rolling out.

Anyone have any info on it? What's new, what's changed?

Can you better control updates through it now?

Are they still forcing the startup splash screen like they did in 1607 or can you actually disable it again now?

Are they still forcing the startup splash screen like they did in 1607 or can you actually disable it again now?

It really hate how Microsoft is doing these updates now. Its a complete ripoff from Ubuntu/Debian based distros and their update platform. It also breaks just an much as it fixes. I can't think of any real improvements in 1709.

It really hate how Microsoft is doing these updates now. Its a complete ripoff from Ubuntu/Debian based distros and their update platform. It also breaks just an much as it fixes. I can't think of any real improvements in 1709.

I was about to say that I wish there were no more updates for Windows 10.

Every one that rolls out screws up something else in my computer, on top of taking up an enormous amount of space that I then have to manually delete.

How so? I’m familiar with Linux updates but haven’t been back around Windows long enough to notice.

I don't recall having any issues with updates recently. What are these problems I've been dodging?

How so? I’m familiar with Linux updates but haven’t been back around Windows long enough to notice.

Windows 10 is now implementing large scale updates for the installation around 6 months of each other, which just so happens to be like what Ubuntu/Debian does. They have even moved towards more Powershell commands to do installs on Server based installs as well.

yes I get that stupid splash screen every day - how do you make it stop ?

I don't recall having any issues with updates recently. What are these problems I've been dodging?

mine keeps saying cant install security updates - apparently they want me to delete any virus protection apps that arent Windows and I am not doing it

yes I get that stupid splash screen every day - how do you make it stop ?

I should be more specific. When I said splash screen I mean the redundant "lock screen". The screen that appears BEFORE the login screen.

img_587f10cbe90eb.jpg

In builds before 1607(the horrible anniversary addition) a method for removing it was easy to find online. When you installed 1607 it removed the capability to stop the splash screen and Microsoft forced it on you. I don't know if any updates after 1607 allow you to disable it.

Reactions: 1 person
no idea coug,still running win7 pro, I may get you to help me reboot it though,it may need a murdering,wipe it's as s slick :) I'll catch you later about it in the night owls thread

soon :)

no idea coug,still running win7 pro, I may get you to help me reboot it though,it may need a murdering,wipe it's as s slick :) I'll catch you later about it in the night owls thread

soon :)

I was thinking about you gm! if you've still got that old dinosaur desktop I wouldn't try putting Windows 10 on it. :)

Does anyone have any issues with the Windows Updater and/or Windows Modules Installer ramping up and eating all computing power constantly?

I had to disable the tool's automatic setting to keep this from happening. It kills my small travel laptop every time, and it's started up on my much more powerful home laptop. I don't understand how Microsoft keeps pushing out this leaky crap.

Does anyone have any issues with the Windows Updater and/or Windows Modules Installer ramping up and eating all computing power constantly?

I had to disable the tool's automatic setting to keep this from happening. It kills my small travel laptop every time, and it's started up on my much more powerful home laptop. I don't understand how Microsoft keeps pushing out this leaky crap.

They need to go back to the Patch Tuesday model.

You basically have to go in to network settings, click on the SSID that you are connecting to and set it to "metered connection". This will stop all updates. If you connect to a different wifi connections/SSID then you have to repeat the same steps or it will automatically start downloading updates.

Windows is now rolling out update 1909. Anyone see any down sides to the latest update?

Windows is now rolling out update 1909. Anyone see any down sides to the latest update?

Make an image and go ahead and apply the update.

You will know pretty soon if it kills anything you need. This one is more like a small cumulative release, than it is a major release like 1809 or 1903.

That being said, since I've been working with Windows 10 in a lot of different environments, most of them are pretty stable. Don't really have a lot of blow back on the updates, but some of our clients want us to keep them one version behind the current major release due to their software vendors not keeping up with their code.

VN Store

Back