Active Shooter at High School in Parkland, FL

Orange Blazer

You serious Clark?
20-50 injuries. Shooter at large. No reports of casualties at this time.

Last edited:
Why..oh why can we not have a few armed guards and trained teachers to protect people? It is like shooting fish in a barrel to these psychos.

My thoughts:

- This kid displayed all of the classic signs of an active shooter, and yet somehow slipped through the cracks. The FBI has some questions to answer here. They knew about his online posts. They should be made to answer those questions, and held accountable for those answers. Maybe it's time to stop looking for Russian election influence, and start looking for the next school / mall / church / pick a spot shooter.

- One entry point. So where was the SRO? More than one building? Should be one SRO per any building where students are. Minimum.

- One entry point. So how did he get in and activate the fire alarm without anyone seeing him, or assuming someone did see him, not see the soft case (gun) and maybe get suspicious?

- Might be time to rethink the ages-old fire alarm protocols. It was used here to create chaos, and a target rich environment. Modern buildings are built to more stringent codes these days. Fire drills? Yes. But any alarm activation might now need to be subject to an initial response by staff before an evacuation is ordered. Would it have saved lives here? Don't know, but all those moving students certainly made things easier for the shooter.

- One more time: where was the SRO during the 3 to 4 minutes it took for all of this to start unfolding. The Broward County Sheriff has some questions to answer too.

- It's easy to sit back once the smoke has cleared and point out where we or they went wrong, or ask the hard questions like I did here. But mass shootings continue to occur, and we don't seem to be getting any better at preventing them, or stopping them when they occur. It's usually the shooter who decides when its over. We have to do more. The guns are out there, and there's no getting them back. And we've had AR's and "assault weapons" in public hands since the late 60's / early 70's, so stop with that crap. This is not a "gun control" issue, this is a "people control" issue. I own enough guns and ammo to fight a small war, and I'm no more of a threat to the public than the Easter Bunny.

Maybe it's time to look at the proliferation of video games where dead people equals points and leveling up to "DeathMaster" status. Maybe it's time to revisit the governments role in mental health...or more importantly...mental illness. Sorry, but this kid and others have a demon in them. No one with any semblance of humanity ever thinks about shooting kids, or anyone else for that matter.

Maybe it's time to do what the Israelis did, and do, when you never know where the next active threat will show up. Israel is the most "armed" nation I ever saw. I remember standing on a street corner in Haifa, and watching a guy in a suit walk by with a briefcase, and an M-4 over his shoulder. That takes getting used to, and would never work here, but maybe it's time to make every school, church, mall, stadium, and high-density area a hard target. Put armed, trained, and dedicated assets there. Odds are, they'll never be needed.

I don't know what the right answer is. These are just my immediate thoughts. But we have to do something, and soon. Enough is enough, and IMO we passed that point a long time ago. As an LEO, I am sickened by the thought of that happening in my community. As a human being, I cannot understand how someone could be so evil. As a responsible gun owner, my initial reaction is to fight fire with fire. I am not blind to the fact that...hear me out here...pawn shops rarely get robbed. Banks, convenience stores, liquor stores, cell phone stores, etc., all get robbed daily. Not pawn shops, which are cash-rich. Why, you ask? Walk in to one. The entire staff is armed. There's a lesson there.

Okay, rant over. Thanks for giving me a venue to vent in.

Reactions: 3 people
My thoughts:

- This kid displayed all of the classic signs of an active shooter, and yet somehow slipped through the cracks. The FBI has some questions to answer here. They knew about his online posts. They should be made to answer those questions, and held accountable for those answers. Maybe it's time to stop looking for Russian election influence, and start looking for the next school / mall / church / pick a spot shooter.

- One entry point. So where was the SRO? More than one building? Should be one SRO per any building where students are. Minimum.

- One entry point. So how did he get in and activate the fire alarm without anyone seeing him, or assuming someone did see him, not see the soft case (gun) and maybe get suspicious?

- Might be time to rethink the ages-old fire alarm protocols. It was used here to create chaos, and a target rich environment. Modern buildings are built to more stringent codes these days. Fire drills? Yes. But any alarm activation might now need to be subject to an initial response by staff before an evacuation is ordered. Would it have saved lives here? Don't know, but all those moving students certainly made things easier for the shooter.

- One more time: where was the SRO during the 3 to 4 minutes it took for all of this to start unfolding. The Broward County Sheriff has some questions to answer too.

- It's easy to sit back once the smoke has cleared and point out where we or they went wrong, or ask the hard questions like I did here. But mass shootings continue to occur, and we don't seem to be getting any better at preventing them, or stopping them when they occur. It's usually the shooter who decides when its over. We have to do more. The guns are out there, and there's no getting them back. And we've had AR's and "assault weapons" in public hands since the late 60's / early 70's, so stop with that crap. This is not a "gun control" issue, this is a "people control" issue. I own enough guns and ammo to fight a small war, and I'm no more of a threat to the public than the Easter Bunny.

Maybe it's time to look at the proliferation of video games where dead people equals points and leveling up to "DeathMaster" status. Maybe it's time to revisit the governments role in mental health...or more importantly...mental illness. Sorry, but this kid and others have a demon in them. No one with any semblance of humanity ever thinks about shooting kids, or anyone else for that matter.

Maybe it's time to do what the Israelis did, and do, when you never know where the next active threat will show up. Israel is the most "armed" nation I ever saw. I remember standing on a street corner in Haifa, and watching a guy in a suit walk by with a briefcase, and an M-4 over his shoulder. That takes getting used to, and would never work here, but maybe it's time to make every school, church, mall, stadium, and high-density area a hard target. Put armed, trained, and dedicated assets there. Odds are, they'll never be needed.

I don't know what the right answer is. These are just my immediate thoughts. But we have to do something, and soon. Enough is enough, and IMO we passed that point a long time ago. As an LEO, I am sickened by the thought of that happening in my community. As a human being, I cannot understand how someone could be so evil. As a responsible gun owner, my initial reaction is to fight fire with fire. I am not blind to the fact that...hear me out here...pawn shops rarely get robbed. Banks, convenience stores, liquor stores, cell phone stores, etc., all get robbed daily. Not pawn shops, which are cash-rich. Why, you ask? Walk in to one. The entire staff is armed. There's a lesson there.

So, if the shooter only had a knife, how many victims would be involved. Assault weapons don't belong in the hands of citizens. And, we once had a law that those with mental problems would have no access to firearms of any kind. No guns are the problem here. We're on the road to have more murders of this kind for 2018 than ever before.

Reactions: 1 person
My thoughts:

Video games aren't the problem here. I'd be more inclined along the mental health avenue as that seems to be the common theme among these type of situations.

I'm sure there are plenty of veterans who would be willing to be armed guards at schools to protect children (or just decent human beings in general. You gotta pay better than minimum wage though) .

So, if the shooter only had a knife, how many victims would be involved. Assault weapons don't belong in the hands of citizens. And, we once had a law that those with mental problems would have no access to firearms of any kind. No guns are the problem here. We're on the road to have more murders of this kind for 2018 than ever before.

Ask Great Britain about their gun free society, and the number of edged weapon assaults / murders / mass attacks they have had since Columbine, which is the default starting point for counting mass casualty attacks. Are 500 assaults with 2 or 3 victims each better than 50 assaults with 10 victims each? Just wondering.

Can you define "assault weapon" for me? Does it have to be semi-automatic? Pump shot guns can do tremendous damage. High capacity? I can empty a 7-round magazine on my .45 and reload in just a fraction more than it takes to empty a 20-round AR magazine. Pistol grip? All pistols have one. If it's black, does that make it an assault weapon? Is a black Corvette an "assault car"? Fact is, an "assault weapon" is any weapon used in an assault. It can be an AR, a knife, a car, or a flashlight.

Guns are not the problem here, but you'll never get it. People are. But do this for me, please: pull up the number of people who are killed by drunk drivers every year (NHTSA), and the number of people who are killed by "active shooters" every year (FBI). Just pick a year. Now tell me why cars are not outlawed. Obviously, we need "car control". Cars don't belong in the hands of civilians.

We do have a mental health crisis, but we also have an element of pure evil in todays society. You can outlaw or legislatively restrict "things" all you want, but you cannot eliminate evil, or those who are bound to do it, that way.

A bully only understands one thing. Fear. And evil only fears one thing. Justice. Sadly, we have forgotten and long-since departed the lessons of our forefathers. And we are paying for it, dearly.

I know you think I'm wrong, so let me know the next time your local pawn shop gets robbed, or someone shoots up the local VFW. I'll hang up and listen.

Reactions: 4 people
Ask Great Britain about their gun free society, and the number of edged weapon assaults / murders / mass attacks they have had since Columbine, which is the default starting point for counting mass casualty attacks. Are 500 assaults with 2 or 3 victims each better than 50 assaults with 10 victims each? Just wondering.

Can you define "assault weapon" for me? Does it have to be semi-automatic? Pump shot guns can do tremendous damage. High capacity? I can empty a 7-round magazine on my .45 and reload in just a fraction more than it takes to empty a 20-round AR magazine. Pistol grip? All pistols have one. If it's black, does that make it an assault weapon? Is a black Corvette an "assault car"? Fact is, an "assault weapon" is any weapon used in an assault. It can be an AR, a knife, a car, or a flashlight.

Guns are not the problem here, but you'll never get it. People are. But do this for me, please: pull up the number of people who are killed by drunk drivers every year (NHTSA), and the number of people who are killed by "active shooters" every year (FBI). Just pick a year. Now tell me why cars are not outlawed. Obviously, we need "car control". Cars don't belong in the hands of civilians.

We do have a mental health crisis, but we also have an element of pure evil in todays society. You can outlaw or legislatively restrict "things" all you want, but you cannot eliminate evil, or those who are bound to do it, that way.

A bully only understands one thing. Fear. And evil only fears one thing. Justice. Sadly, we have forgotten and long-since departed the lessons of our forefathers. And we are paying for it, dearly.

I know you think I'm wrong, so let me know the next time your local pawn shop gets robbed, or someone shoots up the local VFW. I'll hang up and listen.

This data is old, but we crush the UK in homicides with or without a gun.

gun-death-rates-chart.jpg

For a developed nation we kill each other a ton and it is super easy to kill in this country.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-u-s-gun-deaths-compare-to-other-countries/

Last edited:

VN Store

Back