Echo (Alexa), Google Home, Apple HomePod

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
I had an echo dot. Worked fine.

I’m thinking about getting the HomePod (seeing as how I have Apple everything).

Anybody else use any?

We use an Echo. It's kind of fun. If you've installed any of the Wemo light switches it can control those as well, like front and backyard lights.

I was going to get a Google home but my phone and Google assistant does everything it does. I have a few rooms with smart lights and a couple thermostats all hooked up with Google Assistant. Kind of neat to speak the temp you want or light levels/colors/on/off.

Alexa was worth it just to be able to speak to shopping lists that the wife gets on her phone.

You leave your phone outside in the mailbox?

I just noticed you became a Mod, congrats for that.

A phone and Alexa/ Echo are not comparable in their ***tion (at least how I use it). I have no voice activated apps on my phone, and I do not interact with it as if it were a person.

A phone and Alexa/ Echo are not comparable in their ***tion (at least how I use it). I have no voice activated apps on my phone, and I do not interact with it as if it were a person.

What you use is only part of it. If someone wants to listen, they are listening.

Reactions: 1 person
Have yall heard the Alexa spoof commercial for old people? Pretty funny, i heard it on the radio last week.

Unless you’re rocking an old brick phone, it’s cute that you think your phone is all that different

Also, at this year's Consumer Electronics Show, Samsung was teasing their version, which should be available later this year.

LG and a few other TV brands are looking to installing them into their SmartTVs. This will allow similar functions to the Echo/Home Pod/Google Home, as well as allowing for specific profile settings for your TV

I have a couple Alexa's throughout the house and while I mostly like them, they freak me out. I've had mine randomly start playing music, answer questions, and search for things. My wifi network is protected, but I've not seen a way to make my Alexa's Bluetooth protected. So a couple times somebody has connected to my Alexa and started playing music. Alexa has continued to get better, but I still don't use them enough so if I did it again I'd just hold off.

I have a couple Alexa's throughout the house and while I mostly like them, they freak me out. I've had mine randomly start playing music, answer questions, and search for things. My wifi network is protected, but I've not seen a way to make my Alexa's Bluetooth protected. So a couple times somebody has connected to my Alexa and started playing music. Alexa has continued to get better, but I still don't use them enough so if I did it again I'd just hold off.

When the Alexa commercial came on during the superbowl it triggered the one in the living room. She randomly said, "sorry, I can't find that".

I was watching Finebuam on tv one time and it triggered her. I rewound and finally figured out he was saying the words "and let's uh, move onto another caller".

I’m an Apple person but unless you have money burning hole in your pocket I would hold off. By all accounts it’s got great sound but lacks functionality. For instance it will only play Apple Music. No Spotify, no pandora, no anything 3rd party. And Siri, which lags behind Alexa and Google Assistant already, has been paired down on the home pod.

I’m an Apple person but unless you have money burning hole in your pocket I would hold off. By all accounts it’s got great sound but lacks functionality. For instance it will only play Apple Music. No Spotify, no pandora, no anything 3rd party. And Siri, which lags behind Alexa and Google Assistant already, has been paired down on the home pod.

After reading early reviews I’m holding off on the HomePod

:crazy:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180307-135744_1520449206065.jpg
    Screenshot_20180307-135744_1520449206065.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1
We use Google Home and absolutely love it. The speaker is really good with it and have it connected with my Spotify, so I just name a song, playlist, or genre, and can enjoy it throughout the house. Also it is connected with our heat/air for the house and can control that verbally. Only issue I have is when the Google commercials come on tv, it activates the home.....my phone....and everything else lol.

VN Store

Back