Turbo Tax

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
Have always taken our taxes to a CPA but after getting raped last year enough was enough. Anyone use services like Turbo Tax or the others? How pricey are they and are they pretty easy to use?

Have always taken our taxes to a CPA but after getting raped last year enough was enough. Anyone use services like Turbo Tax or the others? How pricey are they and are they pretty easy to use?

I went to H&R Block once back in 2013. I felt like I was being scammed as the person just punched my info into a computer and it did the rest.

I’ve used turbo tax ever since then. So easy and straightforward. Unless your taxes are really complex, I wouldn’t hesitate to refer turbo tax to a friend.

Turbo tax all the way. I’ve been using it for 15+ years.
My dad is a cpa and recommends it. He helped me the first few years doing my business taxes.

It’s the only way to go imo.

I've used tax act the last few years, and I usually pay around $40.00. Very easy to use. I'm sure turbo is similar

Any product made by Intuit I would personally recommend. That includes TurboTax.

I learned years ago that with a little research on tax laws and Turbo Tax/H&R Block online, that I was foolishly paying a CPA to do my taxes every year. My taxes aren't really simple either.

I’ve been using turbo tax the past few years and I love it. Keeps your info from previous years just makes it really simple.

Not any more...just one simple W2

You probably don't even have to pay for Turbo Tax if you only have a W-2. Go to their website. If you have to get a few more features, Tax Act is hard to beat for what it costs.

H&R Block won't give an itemized invoice. They feed in the info and then want a couple hundred dollars without letting you know the details. But if they screw up the return they'll cover the penalties, interest, and answer to the IRS for the client.

I recommend TurboTax for straightforward returns. My finances have gotten a little more complex so it's caused me to have to spend a lot of time answering all the questions, combing through and double checking the return. So instead I'm now going w a CPA I know.

I’ve been using turbo tax the past few years and I love it. Keeps your info from previous years just makes it really simple.

Same - I dont itemize though -- looks like next year alot of people wont be itemizing anymore either

Been using TurboTax for years. It handles everything I throw at it.

I went to H&R Block once back in 2013. I felt like I was being scammed as the person just punched my info into a computer and it did the rest.

I’ve used turbo tax ever since then. So easy and straightforward. Unless your taxes are really complex, I wouldn’t hesitate to refer turbo tax to a friend.

Other than the H&R Block experience, I can attest to the rest of this. I’ve used Turbo Tax for W-2, investment income (not super complex, as Nerd alluded to), and Schedule A/C for sole prop. It’s always worked well for me. For anything with a more complex corporate structure I’d hire a CPA.

Do you itemize (I assume you do if you got raped by a CPA).
Did you buy/sell lots of real estate? Do lots of stock transactions? Have out of state/country income?

If none of those apply, and you can follow directions, TurboTax should be great for you. There are several different versions. Don't try to save by buying a version not related to your situation (if you own a home-based business, don't try personal, etc.) It'll actually walk you through the process. You just have to know the answers and have your documents/numbers in front of you.

I've used different versions of Turbo Tax for the past 20 years depending on how I had to file. I'll be using it again this year.

Do you itemize (I assume you do if you got raped by a CPA).
Did you buy/sell lots of real estate? Do lots of stock transactions? Have out of state/country income?

If none of those apply, and you can follow directions, TurboTax should be great for you. There are several different versions. Don't try to save by buying a version not related to your situation (if you own a home-based business, don't try personal, etc.) It'll actually walk you through the process. You just have to know the answers and have your documents/numbers in front of you.

Even if you itemize, TurboTax works fine. It's pretty close to idiot proof as long as you're confident in your ability to be truthful. You're right though about the version. Don't cheap out.

VN Store

Back