It's Been The Darkest Time In My Life

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Sorry for my absence these last three weeks Nation. It's been the hardest time of my 37 years on Earth. My wife Laura started feeling under the weather around Dec 20th. We thought she had the flu at first and wasn't too worried. She felt weak, had body aches, and a small fever but that was all.

Fast forward to Dec 27th and she was suddenly became so weak she was having trouble walking. She also suddenly started having an insanely heavy period with gum bleeding and swollen Lymph Nodes

On the morning of Dec 28 my oldest son came running to me saying she fell and passed out heading to the bathroom. I picked her up, put her in the car and drove her to the ER.

After we were there an hour the Doc came in and said she would have to be air lifted to either Methodist in Memphis or Vanderbilt Medical. We live very close to Jackson so I asked them what's going on and why couldn't Jackson General take her. He said that her blood showed signs of Leukemia. As the words were coming out of his mouth it sounded that he was walking away down a tunnel. They could have told me she had Ebola and I think I wouldn't have been as shocked.

They air lifted her to Vanderbilt and on the way she had an heart attack and barely survived the night. She did stabilize and the next day I got the news I'd been dreading most. She was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and 4 days later we found out she also was Philadelphia Chromosome positive. It was the worst case scenario. It attacked her spine, brain, and kidneys so she had to be put on dialysis and she can't walk.

All hope is not lost however. So far she has responded well to the chemo and she can sit up on her on now. She can move her legs and even was able to use a wheelchair yesterday. Her latest spinal tap showed that it's now out of her brain and kidneys and they took her off dialysis earlier this week.

We have 4 kids. Dennis who is 15, Isaac 10, Ruth 5 and Brooklyn 3. To say it's been hell on them is the understatement. She's still in critical care so they can't visit. They do Skype with her and that helps, but they want their momma home. I tell her everyday that she has to fight and win because she ain't leaving me to raise 4 kids on my own lol.

She's fighting with a will that amazes me. I know the long term outlook is grim but if I can just get her home and her healthy again for even a year that would be a dream come true.

Physically, emotionally and financially it has drained everything I've had but I'll be damned if I let this beat me. My wife and my kids need me now more than ever and you can bet your last dime I'm up for this fight.

My sister in law started a Go Fund Me and if it's okay with Freak I'll link it. I've never been one to ask for help, but I have learned to swallow my foolish pride.

I tell you Nation I don't know what I'm going to do if I loose her. She has been by my side for 17 years and she is the love of my life. These last 3 plus weeks have felt like a long nightmare.

Tell the ones you love just what they mean to you, and let petty disagreements and grudges go. Life is too fragile and short Nation. Live life to the fullest and treat everyday like it may be your last. Let go of negativity and focus on the good.

Here are some pics of me with Laura and some of my children. They are the reason I'm alive today and the reason I carry on. They make life worth living.

I love you all Nation and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Volnation is a second home to me and I've made many friends here over the years. You guys our my family to me. The internet would be a sorry place without this site.

Fundraiser by Erin Leigh Maynard : Laura’s fight against Leukemia

Attachments

• 20953826_10154816165529080_7193751598791232800_n.jpg
    20953826_10154816165529080_7193751598791232800_n.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 12096532_10153117733724080_14758472830443386_n.jpg
    12096532_10153117733724080_14758472830443386_n.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,812
  • 1005699_10151485751024080_1080491884_n.jpg
    1005699_10151485751024080_1080491884_n.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 12309999_10153210153189080_1123418946156044311_o.jpg
    12309999_10153210153189080_1123418946156044311_o.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 308188_10150396573809584_1147285772_n.jpg
    308188_10150396573809584_1147285772_n.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 74 people
That sucks man :(
Praying for you
Not the lame ass Facebook fake praying but legit talking to the Healer

I wish i had money man
I'm sorry

Reactions: 10 people
I lost someone very close to me recently. It was a sudden heart attack to an otherwise 100% healthy person. Healthier than me, I'd wager, and yet here I am, and they are not.

As tough as I know this must be for you, you are lucky to have such a wonderful family, and to have such a profound understanding of showing love to those that matter, when it matters. Good luck, my friend. I know everyone here will be rooting for you guys.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh my goodness, I can’t imagine what you or your wife or your children are going through right now. I’m so sorry and scared and sad and heartbroken for all of you. Be strong for her, because she needs you too. So do your kids. They’re looking to you for guidance right now. Everyone here knows you as a smart, reasonable, good poster, so we’re on your side, but I wouldn’t wish this on even my worst enemy. God bless all of you.

Reactions: 3 people
Duncan their is no need trying to say something impactful here, you know like the rest of us we will all face our time to leave this world. I will mention her in my prayers for the next several days, she may outlive us all... Enjoy your time with her.

Reactions: 1 person
Prayers to you, your wife, your family, and maybe most importantly the doctors and medical professionals that will be treating your wife.

There is strength through prayers my friend.

Keep your prayers going and rest assured that thousands of others are joining you with their prayers going up too.

May God bless, comfort and heal your wife and return her to full health.

God bless you all my friend.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
God bless you, your kids and above all else here your wife. Praying now for your wife’s improved health and for you and your kids. I’ll gladly contribute.

I’ve wondered where you were my friend. This absolutely rips my heart out. I understand watching your spouse hurt, and go through chemo and feeling helpless. There’s no words to describe it, and I’m glad you opened up on here cause it does help. I tried holding all my emotions in when my wife was going through chemo, and it physically and emotionally almost destroyed me. You know where I stand, and I believe you know I’ll start praying right now. Much love to you big guy, you’re one of my favorites.

Reactions: 5 people
Do you have access to a P.O. Box or something like that? Even an address to send something directly to? Maybe some would prefer to have it go directly to you instead of through the fundraiser site? We'll all be praying but I have been through something rough and only by the generosity of others were we able to get through it. The thing I learned was to just say "thank you" because there is no repaying help during your darkest hour.

Reactions: 3 people
Sorry to hear that man, but I can say from past experiences that she couldn't be at a better place than Vanderbilt Hospital. I've had go there a few times for some surgeries and that place is top notch.

Hopefully she'll get through this and not have any complications.

I’ve wondered where you were my friend. This absolutely rips my heart out. I understand watching your spouse hurt, and go through chemo and feeling helpless. There’s no words to describe it, and I’m glad you opened up on here cause it does help. I tried holding all my emotions in when my wife was going through chemo, and it physically and emotionally almost destroyed me. You know where I stand, and I believe you know I’ll start praying right now. Much love to you big guy, you’re one of my favorites.
Thank you so much my friend. I may no longer be religious but you don't know how bad I want to be wrong. I want to find my faith again I truly do. Joe even though we've never met you feel like a brother I've never had. I've never been this scared and lost in my entire life and you'll never know what your support means to me brother.

Do you have access to a P.O. Box or something like that? Even an address to send something directly to? Maybe some would prefer to have it go directly to you instead of through the fundraiser site? We'll all be praying but I have been through something rough and only by the generosity of others were we able to get through it. The thing I learned was to just say "thank you" because there is no repaying help during your darkest hour.
My address is 300 Ayers Street in Lexington TN, 38351. Thank you so much for the kind words.

I am so sorry. I will surely pray, I can't and don't want to imagine what you are going through. If God blesses me with a job soon, I will surely help all I can.

VN Store

Back