Disney Buys most of 21st Century Fox for $52 Billion

The details of the TV part is interesting. So Murdoch keeps the broadcast channel but Disney now owns all the IP? What about future shows?

I get there was a conflict since Disney already owns ABC. Just seems strange.

Hopefully we get a kick ass Fantastic Four movie now.

Disney will still be a fraction of the size of Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, and Microsoft. They will lose.

Disney is trying to hold on to their large position in content.

They now have a distribution method for their vast content library, and just bought a pile more. That will give them leverage to either renegotiate with Netflix or take their ball and go to Hulu.

They now have a distribution method for their vast content library, and just bought a pile more. That will give them leverage to either renegotiate with Netflix or take their ball and go to Hulu.

They're betting on sports, which has been bleeding them lately. ESPN's ability to demand enormous fees from the distributors has been heavily damaged. They're going to have to rely more on advertising revenue going forward... and they'll squeeze the NCAA and pro leagues when those deals are up for renewals. Those 5 will push back with threats/offerings of their own streaming subscription offerings. I'd expect to see Netflix go after content deals from the NCAA and the 4 major pro leagues. Soccer too.

The Feds are going to have to be convinced that Disney won't be anti-competitive by growing their content footprint. They actually need Netflix and the remnants of Fox/NewsCorp to remain healthy competitors in the short run.

They’re already pulling their stuff from netflix after 2018. The only thing that will be left will be the Netflix Original Marvel shows.

The details of the TV part is interesting. So Murdoch keeps the broadcast channel but Disney now owns all the IP? What about future shows?

I get there was a conflict since Disney already owns ABC. Just seems strange.

Hopefully we get a kick ass Fantastic Four movie now.

I hope so. The 2005/2007 movies were a giant meh, and the last one was DCEU terrible.

I thought the Marvel movies were moving towards their conclusion. Same with Star Wars.

Lol yeah I’m sure they’ll shut down those money presses any day now. There are so many marvel characters even obscure lame ones will make a profit on international sales. Star Wars has an entire universe to expand within. They could keep it going forever.

It will be nice to get a good F4 movie now and Hugh Jackman said he will come out of retirement from Wolverine to be in the MCU. Now that will be awesome to see. I also read some where that they are getting the full rights too the Hulk back also

I thought the Marvel movies were moving towards their conclusion. Same with Star Wars.

This incarnation of Marvel movies is but they will probably just reboot the MCU, or at the least start recasting the roles. I know for sure Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans are ready to move on and Chris Hemsworth has said he’s likely done as Thor after Avengers 4. RDJ especially has been Iron Man for a decade now.

Marvel is just moving to a new phase in which the core Avengers will be less of a focus. Probably just to give the some breathing room before recasting the characters. There will still be 2-3 Marvel movies a year.

They’ve barely begun the annual Star Wars movies. In 6 months we have the Han Solo movie then Ep 9, a planned Obiwan movie, and another trilogy helmed by the Last Jedi Director.

Combine that with Disney’s regular animated releases, Pixar, and their live action remakes... It’s not slowing down. It’s ramping up.

Marvel is just moving to a new phase in which the core Avengers will be less of a focus. Probably just to give the some breathing room before recasting the characters. There will still be 2-3 Marvel movies a year.

They’ve barely begun the annual Star Wars movies. In 6 months we have the Han Solo movie then Ep 9, a planned Obiwan movie, and another trilogy helmed by the Last Jedi Director.

Combine that with Disney’s regular animated releases, Pixar, and their live action remakes... It’s not slowing down. It’s ramping up.

Also a planned Star Wars TV/streaming series and likely more animated shows planned after Rebels.

What would likely be the cost of a Disney streaming service which includes ESPN?

Probably $15-$20. ESPN already costs $10-$15/month which isn't itemized on the providers' statements to households. They charge cable companies by far the highest affiliate fees of any content provider.

So all those badass X-men and Deadpool movies will be PC and PG in the future with self identity roles.

In the end as long as it doesent get espn bad I’ll watch it

So all those badass X-men and Deadpool movies will be PC and PG in the future with self identity roles.

In the end as long as it doesent get espn bad I’ll watch it

Bob Iger has said Deadpool will remain rated R.

Marvel’s Netflix shows are R rated so they aren’t completely adverse to mature themed superheros.

There are going to be some perks headed ESPN's way over this as well. Not sure of the details but it was mentioned on national news.

I hope this means Fox will finally stop screwing around with their On Demand offerings. For years they wouldn't allow their content to be shown On Demand on either AT&T or Comcast. Something about contract disputes and what not. It's gotten more laxed over the years though.

Probably $15-$20. ESPN already costs $10-$15/month which isn't itemized on the providers' statements to households. They charge cable companies by far the highest affiliate fees of any content provider.

Thanks. If it's in that range, I'm on board with them and cut my cable. If it's much higher, I cut my cable and go with some other streaming service.

Hope this gives them more weight to throw around to pull in the x-men universe.

VN Store

Back