Knoxville is losing another corporate HQ

To my knowledge all are still in Knoxville.

As divisions of corporations headquartered elsewhere.

Brunswick Boat Group is in Knoxville, but is a division of Brunswick. They've closed a manufacturing facility or two.

Scripps Networks has only had the corporate HQ in Knoxville for about 10 years. They were a division of EW Scripps (Cincinnati HQ) and quickly grew far bigger than the newspaper and network affiliate TV divisions.

Regal Cinema is building their HQ at the old Baptist Hospital site.

Discovery might be better off growing their Knoxville footprint instead of their DC area presence.

Berkshire's philosophy is to leave their acquisitions as autonomous operations,

So Knoxville losing rather than attracting corporate headquarters may not be as devastating as it might have been.

Also, last I paid attention, Ruby Tuesday was looking for a buyer.

Scripps is almost certainly downsizing in Knoxville due to the acquisition, no?

As divisions of corporations headquartered elsewhere.

Brunswick Boat Group is in Knoxville, but is a division of Brunswick. They've closed a manufacturing facility or two.

Scripps Networks has only had the corporate HQ in Knoxville for about 10 years. They were a division of EW Scripps (Cincinnati HQ) and quickly grew far bigger than the newspaper and network affiliate TV divisions.

Regal Cinema is building their HQ at the old Baptist Hospital site.

Discovery might be better off growing their Knoxville footprint instead of their DC area presence.

Berkshire's philosophy is to leave their acquisitions as autonomous operations,

So Knoxville losing rather than attracting corporate headquarters may not be as devastating as it might have been.

Also, last I paid attention, Ruby Tuesday was looking for a buyer.

But they’re still in Knoxville, so nothing is being lost.

Reshuffled, yes, but let’s not pretend those building are going to be left empty, or they’re going to stop working on the Regal project downtown.

I suppose it possible some people could lose their jobs, so “Knoxville could be losing more jobs” would have been an acceptable headline.

Scripps is almost certainly downsizing in Knoxville due to the acquisition, no?

They employees haven't been told anything yet. The transaction has been approved, but hasn't closed.

Discovery can't easily expand in Silver Springs, MD.

But they’re still in Knoxville, so nothing is being lost.

Reshuffled, yes, but let’s not pretend those building are going to be left empty, or they’re going to stop working on the Regal project downtown.

I suppose it possible some people could lose their jobs, so “Knoxville could be losing more jobs” would have been an acceptable headline.

The highest paying jobs are at corporate headquarters. Corporate jobs are high skill jobs. In the case of Regal, I'm not seeing the need for the duplication.

It's hard to see how movie theater chain can utilize an extra headquarters. A movie theater is pretty much a movie theater, At Scripps duplicate sets of entire programming, IS, IT, finance, human resources, and legal departments really aren't necessary. It's hard to say how the sales departments would be affected, but both companies pretty much share the same customer base, especially the affiliate sales (cable systems). Post production in Knoxville could actually grow. Regular production had already been scaled way back. There aren't as many producers, directors, and production jobs in Knoxville.

Scripps and Regal employees in Knoxville should be more concerned than Pilot/FJ employees.

The acquirer only has 2,000 screens and Regal has over 7,000. That's kind of odd and could be good news to the Knoxville employees.

It's also good for the Regal employees that Cineworld is UK based. They'll have to maintain a US headquarters.

Last edited:
The acquirer only has 2,000 screens and Regal has over 7,000. That's kind of odd and could be good news to the Knoxville employees.

It's also good for the Regal employees that Cineworld is UK based. They'll have to maintain a US headquarters.

Geez, I remember when those ambitious fellas bought the AMC theater that had closed down on Downtown West, along with the Litchfield theater out at East Towne Crossing, to go with the one they had in Halls, and a chain was born. They've come a long way for sure.

The movie industry is crazy. Hard to believe that you can get a flat screen 32" HD television for the amount it costs me to take my family to a single movie night at the theater.

Reactions: 1 person
The highest paying jobs are at corporate headquarters. Corporate jobs are high skill jobs. In the case of Regal, I'm not seeing the need for the duplication.

It's hard to see how movie theater chain can utilize an extra headquarters. A movie theater is pretty much a movie theater, At Scripps duplicate sets of entire programming, IS, IT, finance, human resources, and legal departments really aren't necessary. It's hard to say how the sales departments would be affected, but both companies pretty much share the same customer base, especially the affiliate sales (cable systems). Post production in Knoxville could actually grow. Regular production had already been scaled way back. There aren't as many producers, directors, and production jobs in Knoxville.

Scripps and Regal employees in Knoxville should be more concerned than Pilot/FJ employees.

You realize it's a foreign based company? If you really think payroll, real estate acquisitions, etc., Aren't going to be managed state side, then you don't know much about business.

VN Store

Back