Volnation Christmas charity work.

EastTNVol6240

I’m pretty new here, so this may already be a thing. If not then maybe we can get it started. I try to do some sort of something every year for a family or two for Christmas. I thought maybe we could do something collectively and maybe even get a meet and greet out of it for the board.

Maybe someone here or someone’s church knows a few families that would enjoy us taking them to a nice dinner somewhere and providing gifts for their family? Maybe that would embarrass some families so maybe we just come together for a dinner and everyone contribute and that money be taken to a church or food bank, etc. I’m open for anything but I’m sure we could come together for a good cause and some of us get to meet up that haven’t yet.

Let’s hear some ideas.

Reactions: 9 people
I’m pretty new here, so this may already be a thing. If not then maybe we can get it started. I try to do some sort of something every year for a family or two for Christmas. I thought maybe we could do something collectively and maybe even get a meet and greet out of it for the board.

Maybe someone here or someone’s church knows a few families that would enjoy us taking them to a nice dinner somewhere and providing gifts for their family? Maybe that would embarrass some families so maybe we just come together for a dinner and everyone contribute and that money be taken to a church or food bank, etc. I’m open for anything but I’m sure we could come together for a good cause and some of us get to meet up that haven’t yet.

Let’s hear some ideas.

Salvation Army Angel Tree is a great program.

Maybe a trusted Mod could set up a Go FundMe account and we split whats contributed b/w Food Banks in West, Middle and East TN.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't reinvent the wheel. There are charities tripping over themselves to give stuff away.

I know donations are down at mission of hope, and rural Appalachia makes the inner city look like Rodeo Drive.

Last edited:
Don't reinvent the wheel. There are charities tripping over themselves to give stuff away.

I know donations are down at mission of hope, and rural Appalachia makes the inner city look like rodeo drive.

So your saying there is no one out there in need at this moment? The ones you’ve mentioned have everything covered? Absolutely no families hurting for anything?

You must not get out much. I apologize in advance if I took that the wrong way, but I’m gonna use my very first GTFO on your post.

Is there a way to set up a “team” fundraising page for a charity like the food bank or mission of hope? See what we could collectively raise?

As the old adage reminds us, "Charity begins at home."

So I'll be doling out Christmas treats to stray dogs in my van down by the river.

This sounds like a great cause. Any way you can pick me and my children up in your van? We want to help.

So your saying there is no one out there in need at this moment? The ones you’ve mentioned have everything covered? Absolutely no families hurting for anything?

You must not get out much. I apologize in advance if I took that the wrong way, but I’m gonna use my very first GTFO on your post.

I chair a 501c3, and know persobally, most of the people running the major organizations in the Knoxville area. There is a TON of overlap and duplication of services. So much, that many of the groups like KARM have recognized the issue. Ever wonder why we have a disproportionate number of homeless in Knoxville?

I suggested, don't reinvent the wheel. Get involved with an established group and one that best targets and helps without duplicating services. I even suggested one.

Anytime you want to come down to the inner city and do some real work, just let me know.

My church supports the Angel Tree and Operation Christmas Child. My company supports Adopt a Family. I think all of these are wonderful outreaches.

I chair a 501c3, and know persobally, most of the people running the major organizations in the Knoxville area. There is a TON of overlap and duplication of services. So much, that many of the groups like KARM have recognized the issue. Ever wonder why we have a disproportionate number of homeless in Knoxville?

I suggested, don't reinvent the wheel. Get involved with an established group and one that best targets and helps without duplicating services. I even suggested one.

Anytime you want to come down to the inner city and do some real work, just let me know.

Don’t think I mentioned starting a charity organization. I will not give my money to some big outfit that sends themselves on lavish vacays and spends the other 50% on the people in need. That’s why I suggested finding families that needed the help, whether it be through churches or already established organizations.

Ahh, heated arguments on how best to serve the deserving underserved. Merry Christmas to one and all.

Reactions: 3 people
Carl Perkins Center for abused children has opportunities to adopt a child for Christmas. A close friend runs the center here and I would be happy to connect anyone interested.

Not sure if you call it charity. But I worked at our local Children's Hospital and at times I'll dress up as different characters on days off for the kids.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1496556816994.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496556816994.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1512612624510-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512612624510-1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1512612823597-1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1512612823597-1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Carl Perkins Center for abused children has opportunities to adopt a child for Christmas. A close friend runs the center here and I would be happy to connect anyone interested.

Jackson? I'm assuming you mean adoption as in pick a kid to provide them a Christmas?

Donate to the human fund

I just made a donation in your name :)

But in all seriousness I've been involved in Big Brothers for over 45 years...first as the traditional big brother, 1 on 1 and now in a school helping out with whatever their needs are...IE remedial reading, math...anyway rather than giving money to an organization, where there may be some uncertainty as to how its spent, go to a school of your choice ans ask to talk to a teacher, better yet sit in....

Last edited:
The Angel Tree program is great for folks in and around Knoxville. Most of the requests are really modest and some will break your heart. These kids don't ask for much and it doesn't take much to give them a really great Christmas.

Check them out: The Angel Tree

For the last 13 years, I have volunteered at Christmas For All, in Wilson County Tennessee. We also take applications for food and give them to a local church to distribute. It is approximately three weeks, (my part) from the end of Thanksgiving to Dec. 16th. (this year). We have served over 2,000 children covering almost 1,100 families. Takes all my time, but once you see a single parent receive gifts and are appreciative, it makes it all worthwhile.

VN Store

Back