The Entitlement Generation

volinbham

VN GURU
Saw this post and it struck me as a solid example of the entitlement generation. Maybe it's not a generation - it's more of society today. What say you?

As I understand it, bowls are invitations and assignments based on conference affiliation and position.

Let me start off by saying that I am so happy for the UAB Football team for making it to a bowl game. The coaches and the players have worked extremely hard and deserve this opportunity. However, as a blazer fan and a senior at the university I am disappointed that most fans, like myself, will be unable to afford to make the trip. My family and I attended and tailgated at every home game. We even made the trip to the Southern Miss game. When UAB earned bowl eligibility, we started looking at the finances in hopes of attending the game and supporting the Blazers. I believe that the fans, students, and all those who fought for and funded the return of UAB football were not considered in this decision.

not sure what the issue is? college kid complains about lack of money, nothing new there.

I mean I want to go to every Formula 1, Indycar and NASCAR race possible. Unfortunately I don’t have much money. I’m not mad at the sanctioning bodies for that, it’s motivation for me to sell more.

Actually that’s a lie, I’ve moaned to whoever will listen about the F1 race in Austin Texas. I’ve wanted to go since the started at the venue in 2012. With airfare, tickets and food it would probably cost about $1200 to make it happen. It’s a shame because back when it was at Indianapolis, it was about $1200 for a family of four to attend with room and board(being in driving distance helps). That said I haven’t complained to anyone in charge.

Where is the line between entitlement and encouraging your customer to let the company know what they think?

how often do we hear that bread should be 10cents a loaf from the old timers? same stuff goes on everywhere

I guess he could think about all the family members of players that will get to go to the Bahamas who most likely couldn’t afford it otherwise instead of crying like a titty baby that he can’t put a few hundred bucks together to go.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess he would have b***ched if they had been invited to the Hawaii Bowl too. :rolleyes:
If it was possible for the Vols to get invited to Bahamas or Hawaii, I would have had my ticket booked before they finished the sentence "we're going to....."

I'll cut the kid a little slack. Being its out of country it would be virtually impossible to get a passport before leaving. Still, who doesnt have a passport these days....

Mediocrity merits a bowl? Everybody gets a trophy! A bowl appearance used to mean you had a good season.

C'mon man, it's about money not entitlement. Players didn't decide to have more bowl games to make themselves feel better. Administrators and advertisers didn't decide to have more bowl games to make themselves feel better. It's about money.

Reactions: 1 person
C'mon man, it's about money not entitlement. Players didn't decide to have more bowl games to make themselves feel better. Administrators and advertisers didn't decide to have more bowl games to make themselves feel better. It's about money.

It exists because fans are happy to accept a bowl game after a mediocre season. They don't get money. They fork out money...just like the parents of an 0-10 soccer team paying for a pizza party and trophies at the end of the season.

It exists because fans are happy to accept a bowl game after a mediocre season. They don't get money. They fork out money...just like the parents of an 0-10 soccer team paying for a pizza party and trophies at the end of the season.

uh, except here it is the corporation forking over money for the participation trophy. Ticket sales almost never equal out, especially for these long away games.

the fans are paying for more product they otherwise wouldn't get.

Louder gets it. School gets bowl money and practice time. TV gets more programming during an otherwise dead period over the holidays. Fans get to see their team 1 more time. It's all money.

Equating those motives to entitlement generation is just a stretch. I'm really surprised by this take from you, huff.

We're just having a semantic battle, essentially. The point is that bowl games have become a joke because we are willing to celebrate bad football.

Mediocrity merits a bowl? Everybody gets a trophy! A bowl appearance used to mean you had a good season.

A simple solution would be to play an odd number of regular season games. You either have a winning record or you don't. If you don't, you're not bowl eligible. Period.

A simple solution would be to play an odd number of regular season games. You either have a winning record or you don't. If you don't, you're not bowl eligible. Period.

Except does 6-5 merit a bowl? Does 8-4 necessarily merit a bowl?

I think they need to double the playoff teams and cut the bowl games in half.

****, some 5-7 teams make bowl games in years when there aren't enough 6-6 or better teams eligible.

VN Store

Back