What my son said tonight

FootVolFanInFL

Little back story: My son is the #14 RB in the country (according to o-d.com) among 7th & 8th graders (5th among just 7th graders).. his only hopes and dreams in life is to play for Maryville (we live in Orlando), get a scholarship to Tennessee, and be drafted to the NFL...

Well today out of the blue:
Him- "Pops, I'm sorry, but I am not going to Tennessee if Butch Jones is still there"

Me- "he WILL NOT be there in 6 years"

Him- "good, cause he sucks

Me- "I know, i wont let you go there if hes the coach"

He will be a baller (already is) but Tennessee is already screwing with their future..

Here's some of his highlights
#1 Jonathan Adams 12u Highlights w/ better instrumentals - YouTube

Reactions: 24 people
He is adopted, that's why his name is diff on the certificate..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171006-010611.jpg
    Screenshot_20171006-010611.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20171006-010343.jpg
    Screenshot_20171006-010343.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: 7 people
You son’s comments needed it’s own thread on the exact thoughts of this whole board.

Thanks for sharing..... I guess!!! Sheesh

Reactions: 14 people
You. Are. Delightful.

Yes I am! I’m a funny guy in real life but I’m not immature enough to cry constantly on a VN forum. CBJ isn’t the right fit here. I get that but I don’t get kicking a guy while he’s down. Everyone justifies their comments with the fact he makes a lot of money. When I look at CBJ I see a man who cares, who has failed, and who is suffering from it.

The real statement is glass houses and stones! Most on here are to immature to understand respect, appreciation, or moving on saying something nice.

Reactions: 25 people
You son’s comments needed it’s own thread on the exact thoughts of this whole board.

Thanks for sharing..... I guess!!! Sheesh

I’m glad he shared. My son plays football and will playing next year in college. So his post resonates with me. Don’t know why you have to be a jerk. I guess it’s easy to be brave behind a keyboard hidden away somewhere knowing you wouldn’t say that to his face.

We are all frustrated but we are all Vols, or we should be. You know, guys on the same side. It’s a message board and people have the right to post. You have the right to ignore it. No need to try and make yourself feel better by belittling other posters.

Reactions: 14 people
Listen, I'm not kicking Butch Jones while he is down.. my son met Butch Jones this summer and all he talked about was him getting recruited by him.. my point in this post is that my 13 year old son, who WANTS to go to Tennessee, can tell now that Butch Jones would be bad for his future...

I don't believe in kicking someone while they are down, I graduated from Maryville with Alison Fulmer, and I remember the crap she went through our senior year with the attack on her dad.. and I would never start a petition or anything like that.. but my 13 year old already telling he doesn't want to play for someone who wastes talent like CBJ is sad..

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
Yes I am! I’m a funny guy in real life but I’m not immature enough to cry constantly on a VN forum. CBJ isn’t the right fit here. I get that but I don’t get kicking a guy while he’s down. Everyone justifies their comments with the fact he makes a lot of money. When I look at CBJ I see a man who cares, who has failed, and who is suffering from it.

The real statement is glass houses and stones! Most on here are to immature to understand respect, appreciation, or moving on saying something nice.

No, I agree with you! I mean, I don't know if you are funny or not but I'll take your word for it.
Butch has been getting dragged around here like his entire tenure has been a nightmare. It hasn't! I'm tired of his coaching mistakes and the gimmicks but it was a lot of fun when he was turning things around and we were the talk of college football. People forget just how depressing it had gotten under Hamilton, Kiffin and Dooley.
Those days are gone now, though. I feeling dissatisfied like a lot of folks are but he did a great job and provided some excitement for a lot of his time here.

I just thought you were tough on the dad and his kid is all.

Reactions: 9 people
I’m glad he shared. My son plays football and will playing next year in college. So his post resonates with me. Don’t know why you have to be a jerk. I guess it’s easy to be brave behind a keyboard hidden away somewhere knowing you wouldn’t say that to his face.

We are all frustrated but we are all Vols, or we should be. You know, guys on the same side. It’s a message board and people have the right to post. You have the right to ignore it. No need to try and make yourself feel better by belittling other posters.

Lol I’m being a jerk while everyone else is kicking Butch. I can get it if it’s Kiffin but I wouldn’t participate. I know a few facts! 1) He’s not a good fit here anymore 2) He worked very hard till the very last second trying to turn us around. 3) He has always been respectful to any fan from hearing stories. 4) His players have stayed out of the bad news for the most part.

I get it! It’s time to go but finding every reason to bash him by fans is being the jerk in my book. I’m not hiding from anyone. You can look up my golf shop in Charlotte and come talk to me face to face anytime and I’ll say the same thing. I want my kids to treat others with respect and don’t think I’ll correct them as well.

As a matter of fact I’ve had a few VN members come into my shop and played golf with them. No ones hiding here.

You are right about the fact that everyone has a right to post. I am posting because I’m tired of getting on here and reading everyone bashing someone who has given a portion of his life and countless hours trying to win for the fans. And before you say it, no I’m not going to stop coming on here because the immaturity level has risen significantly. Maybe I’m asking for others to let of the guy a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I nor my son was bashing CBJ.. I realize what he has done positive for this program.. and I encourage my son to be respectful to his coaches.. but if your son was a D-1 recruit (I know my son is not), would you let him go play for this coach at this moment?? Not if he had better options.. and my son is adopted from foster care in FL and has free 4 years of college to any state school (FSU, UF, UCF, USF).. he already has better options...

Again, not trying to bash or be disrespectful to him.. just sharing a moment between me and my son (who WILL be playing Saturdays & Sundays one day)

Reactions: 8 people
Lol I’m being a jerk while everyone else is kicking Butch. I can get it if it’s Kiffin but I wouldn’t participate. I know a few facts! 1) He’s not a good fit here anymore 2) He worked very hard till the very last second trying to turn us around. 3) He has always been respectful to any fan from hearing stories. 4) His players have stayed out of the bad news for the most part.

I get it! It’s time to go but finding every reason to bash him by fans is being the jerk in my book. I’m not hiding from anyone. You can look up my golf shop in Charlotte and come talk to me face to face anytime and I’ll say the same thing. I want my kids to treat others with respect and don’t think I’ll correct them as well.

As a matter of fact I’ve had a few VN members come into my shop and played golf with them. No ones hiding here.

I'm glad we have a coach who said "**** all of them" on tv, that's very respectful. And I'm glad to have a coach call a player a traitor and betrayed the team during a sexual assault investigation, also very respectful.

Reactions: 4 people
Well then I guess I should hand you my pitchfork and see my way out. (Blue font)

Fine. Since you can't let anything go I'll say one more thing.

You are right about the fact that everyone has a right to post. I am posting because I’m tired of getting on here and reading everyone bashing someone who has given a portion of his life and countless hours trying to win for the fans. And before you say it, no I’m not going to stop coming on here because the immaturity level has risen significantly. Maybe I’m asking for others to let of the guy a little.

What does this have to do with you coming into a thread and bashing some guy talking about a moment he had with his 7th grader and his thoughts on Butch? You talk about how the "immaturity level has risen here", but the only immaturity I'm seeing right now is someone coming into a thread and attacking another member for no reason. If you're frustrated then fine (I actually agree with you on the Butch comments), but two wrongs don't make a right.

If you want the forum to be a more mature place then you should probably start with yourself. Jesus man, it's just a forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
I nor my son was bashing CBJ.. I realize what he has done positive for this program.. and I encourage my son to be respectful to his coaches.. but if your son was a D-1 recruit (I know my son is not), would you let him go play for this coach at this moment?? Not if he had better options.. and my son is adopted from foster care in FL and has free 4 years of college to any state school (FSU, UF, UCF, USF).. he already has better options...

Again, not trying to bash or be disrespectful to him.. just sharing a moment between me and my son (who WILL be playing Saturdays & Sundays one day)

I get it but you thread has the same feel as the ones I keep seeing. My 3 year old daughter just said... My grandma just said... I’m not here to bash, I’m just asking for people to just let the man leave in peace. Or just turn the volume down a touch.

My daughter is a D-1 recruit for CC (if their offers are good enough). She’s a junior and hasn’t talked to them about offers yet but D-1 schools have asked her to visit. What that said I’m not interested in their wins as much as their character. My job is raise my daughter right and helping her find a coach that will benefit with that instead of hurt it is my main priority. I don’t know if CBJ would be a good coach for your son and he has had development problems so that I understand but I like to think he’s a coach that cares about character development. I don’t know first hand but I like to try to see good in people.

Reactions: 1 person

giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 people
100% agree.. but as a parent, it's our responsibility to make sure they have the character before they go on to be someone else's responsibility.. my son was homeless 2 years ago, sold pot at 11 years old, stole food and clothes to feed his 2 younger and one older sister.. he has been through hell and back and has more character than any 10 people on these boards... no coach is going to take that from him, or even understand what he has been through, but his dream is literally arms length away, and I'll be damned if I let ANY coach be what holds this boy back

and you are right, winning is not everything (I would gladly have my son play for Mark Richt or Philip Fulmer or any other high moral coach), but there is a difference in being high moral and maintaining a players level of play, and having high moral and squandering their ability.. winning was not everything to Richt, but he knew how to balance development, moral and winning.. and he showed where coaching should be

Reactions: 3 people
I get it but you thread has the same feel as the ones I keep seeing. My 3 year old daughter just said... My grandma just said... I’m not here to bash, I’m just asking for people to just let the man leave in peace. Or just turn the volume down a touch.

My daughter is a D-1 recruit for CC (if their offers are good enough). She’s a junior and hasn’t talked to them about offers yet but D-1 schools have asked her to visit. What that said I’m not interested in their wins as much as their character. My job is raise my daughter right and helping her find a coach that will benefit with that instead of hurt it is my main priority. I don’t know if CBJ would be a good coach for your son and he has had development problems so that I understand but I like to think he’s a coach that cares about character development. I don’t know first hand but I like to try to see good in people.

not-sure-if-youre-a-hypocrite-or-just-stupid.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
Just my personal opinion for the OP. If possible I would try to back away from OD and get with a different association. There are tons of great organizations out there which help young players to develop and succeed. Many are actually free and others are cheap. Many times you can even find an academy (even for younger players) and be no more expensive than OD and a few others. It is also feasible to hire a one on one trainer for the price of a camp.

Not trying to be rude or anything just offering some advice. Also as your kid moves up in age take care of everything yourself. There is no need whatsoever for a recruiting service. Most will charge more than a lower recruit will even benefit from. If the kid is a 3 star type or above colleges will know. If they are lower type. He can contact coaches himself and directly send film and build a relationship. The most important thing to know is the actual unbiased ability of the kid. Knowing exactly where he/she is at will allow you and the kid to move forward accordingly.

Do not rely on the schools for filming or distribution. While many do this just fine and again if the kid is a star the coach can prob handle everything; however you and the kid want to be in control of his/her future. Make sure you or someone u know films the kid and never hire someone to so it as that is not needed. Sure the school will do it, but don't you want to have exactly what you guys want in it and send it to exactly were you want it.

Again just some advice. But again if it were me I would walk away from OD.

Can I get the recipe for your chips dip Barb?

Reactions: 4 people

BREAKING NEWS...

Man finds to much negativity about a losing coach on the internet.

Also you're literally complaining that people are complaining.

But come on, I almost feel like... you're trolling or something.

You really want people to just say nice positive things when they are generally upset?

(And don't even say it's the way they say it, the OP wasn't even very rude on any kind of over the line level)

People have the freedom to say whatever they want, and the lines of what is okay and to much is defined by... you I assume?

Sounds like you shouldn't be so sensitive and try to understand how online Internet forums work and operate day to day.

Forums are a place where people can express their opinions openly and freely whatever they may be.

Stick to new articles if posts like this guys are to much for you.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back