Herniated disc treatments, pain management, etc...

bignewt

The Scoffer Kid
Lab Rat
Hey kids

Found myself in the ER last Saturday after straining my lower back a couple of days before. It started seizing up on me and the pain was maybe the most intense I have ever experienced. Anyway the MRI came back and I have a herniated disc in L4/L5. They recommended a neurologist who may recommend surgery. As I have an HSA insurance plan and in no way do I want to have anyone cutting into my back I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and what you have done to remedy it. Its almost been a week and with steroids and anti inflammatory meds its gotten a lot better but I still feel it and the pain is getting old. I am considering acupuncture also. Thoughts?

thanks!

Hey kids

Found myself in the ER last Saturday after straining my lower back a couple of days before. It started seizing up on me and the pain was maybe the most intense I have ever experienced. Anyway the MRI came back and I have a herniated disc in L4/L5. They recommended a neurologist who may recommend surgery. As I have an HSA insurance plan and in no way do I want to have anyone cutting into my back I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and what you have done to remedy it. Its almost been a week and with steroids and anti inflammatory meds its gotten a lot better but I still feel it and the pain is getting old. I am considering acupuncture also. Thoughts?

thanks!
I have lived with the same thing for 45 years. Sometimes, I would get lower back spasms which would prevent me from getting out of the floor. I would lay flat on my back with my legs elevated on a chair. That is the only way I could get relief.

I tried Vax-D therapy in Knoxville, and that helped me about 70%. I would look into that or an inversion table. Surgery would be a LAST resort for me. Most people that I know who have had surgery may get some temporary relief, and then later scar tissue encapsulates a nerve, and they have different pain later. They fix one problem and cause another.

It seems to me that once you have back problems, you always have back problems. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Reactions: 1 person
I have lived with the same thing for 45 years. Sometimes, I would get lower back spasms which would prevent me from getting out of the floor. I would lay flat on my back with my legs elevated on a chair. That is the only way I could get relief.

I tried Vax-D therapy in Knoxville, and that helped me about 70%. I would look into that or an inversion table. Surgery would be a LAST resort for me. Most people that I know who have had surgery may get some temporary relief, and then later scar tissue encapsulates a nerve, and they have different pain later. They fix one problem and cause another.

It seems to me that once you have back problems, you always have back problems. I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Thanks I have heard from some that it something that a lot of men go through in their 40s and 50s and then it seems to right itself later in life. I hope that is the case. I will look into an inversion table I was actually thinking about that last time this happened of course then it wasn't as bad as this one.

Thanks I have heard from some that it something that a lot of men go through in their 40s and 50s and then it seems to right itself later in life. I hope that is the case. I will look into an inversion table I was actually thinking about that last time this happened of course then it wasn't as bad as this one.
I need to get one myself. The inversion table should do about the same thing as the Vax-D therapy. It takes pressure off the discs to allow healing. My problems started in my 20's, and have never really ended. It takes me several steps to get straightened up after sitting for a while. Luckily, I haven't been immobilized with back spasms for some time, just a constant lower back pain.

The doc may recommend spinal epidural injections. Read up on those. They are temporary if they work at all, and carry a small risk.

I've had a weak lower back for a long time. slipped a disc a year ago really badly and then did it again 3 weeks later. I have a desk job and my doctor prescribed I sit on a workout ball for part of the day and also get a desk that raises up and down. I now stand at my desk for about 12-15 hours a week and I've had a pretty good year. I have to be careful. I can feel that I'm still vulnerable, but I've basically been pain free.

I've had a weak lower back for a long time. slipped a disc a year ago really badly and then did it again 3 weeks later. I have a desk job and my doctor prescribed I sit on a workout ball for part of the day and also get a desk that raises up and down. I now stand at my desk for about 12-15 hours a week and I've had a pretty good year. I have to be careful. I can feel that I'm still vulnerable, but I've basically been pain free.

I just asked my boss today for a standing desk, I feel like that would help a lot as I get stiff as hell sitting at my desk for more than an hour.

Surgery can be scary but I wouldn't discount it completely. You definitely don't want to be on oral steroids long term. Typically surgeons try up to 2 rounds of epidural steroid injections before even considering a surgical approach.

I just asked my boss today for a standing desk, I feel like that would help a lot as I get stiff as hell sitting at my desk for more than an hour.

I know the workout ball is a nuisance but that actually does more to correct any twinges i might be feeling. I stand more, but if i feel weird, i sit on the ball for 30 and it helps a lot. Standing is more preventive.

I had a disc completely rupture when I was 22. My PCP wanted me to try physical therapy and refused to refer me for an MRI. I walked around like that for 2 months. Couldn't sleep. Alsmot lost my job because I couldnt finish my shifts. I basically walked to the neurologists office in tears from pain and said listen you have to help me. MRI shows disc was completely out. He said he didnt see how I could even walk. I was in surgery the next week. Pain was gone and I was walking as soon as I woke up. Never had a problem since and im 28 now.

I could not imagine going through life dealing with that pain. I recommend surgery. Its not invasive and recovery is quick. I have about 2 inch scar on my lower back.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Why live like this when you could have a relatively low risk surgery to completely correct it? Nope, not me.

Why live like this when you could have a relatively low risk surgery to completely correct it? Nope, not me.

Like i said, i'm pain free. Not all surgeries go as well as yours and my doctor didn't even bring it up. His recommendations are working.

Even if i had a healthy back, sitting at a desk 50 hours a week is not healthy. It's not in our nature to be so sedentary.

Like i said, i'm pain free. Not all surgeries go as well as yours and my doctor didn't even bring it up. His recommendations are working.

Even if i had a healthy back, sitting at a desk 50 hours a week is not healthy. It's not in our nature to be so sedentary.
I guess our situations are different. My disc was pushing in my sciatic nerve and there is no drug that can ease that pain. I didnt really have a choice in my situation. Its good you have pain free days. Be thankful for them!

I guess our situations are different. My disc was pushing in my sciatic nerve and there is no drug that can ease that pain. I didnt really have a choice in my situation. Its good you have pain free days. Be thankful for them!

My back problems are numerous. I have a bit of Scoliosis in my upper back which isn't painful, but I think the fact that it makes me lean just a little bit of weight one way all the time is hard on my lower back.

Then in HS football I tackled a guy by dragging him down and I landed in a seated position and somebody jumped on my shoulders and my back did like an accordion. I couldn't play any sports the rest of the school year, but all I was diagnosed with was "contusions" on the spine.

This and a few other things have contributed to my weakened back, and I don't know that there is a surgery that can make a difference for me.

I slipped a disc simply by stepping in a hole making a catch in turkey bowl football last year. It's so stupid.

The good news is as long as I am careful and stay in control, I'm fine. I lift weights consistently and haven't had an injury in the gym in 7 years.

My back problems are numerous. I have a bit of Scoliosis in my upper back which isn't painful, but I think the fact that it makes me lean just a little bit of weight one way all the time is hard on my lower back.

Then in HS football I tackled a guy by dragging him down and I landed in a seated position and somebody jumped on my shoulders and my back did like an accordion. I couldn't play any sports the rest of the school year, but all I was diagnosed with was "contusions" on the spine.

This and a few other things have contributed to my weakened back, and I don't know that there is a surgery that can make a difference for me.

I slipped a disc simply by stepping in a hole making a catch in turkey bowl football last year. It's so stupid.

The good news is as long as I am careful and stay in control, I'm fine. I lift weights consistently and haven't had an injury in the gym in 7 years.

I ruptured my disc passing football with my friend in the driveway. Lmao. Landed just the right way.

I ruptured my disc passing football with my friend in the driveway. Lmao. Landed just the right way.

When I reinjured it 3 weeks after the turkey bowl injury, I felt 90% and was shoveling dog ****. I lost all power and involuntarily went down to a knee. It was excruciating, way worse than the initial injury... from shoveling a 13 lb poodle's poop. So ridiculous.

Im 48 and I also have a herniated disc, s1. I have had this issue for around 10 years.

This is going to sound nuts but I rarely have problems with mine because I keep the muscles around it strong which helps suport and keep everything aligned.

I have a very physical jib, lots of lifting, bending, and on my feet all day. Routinely lift over 100 pounds. No problems.

When I have issues is when I take a few days off and things start to relax.

Just my .02cents but may be worth a try. Just start with stretches and a light workout, trying to strengthen the muscles and progress from there according to how your body feels and reacts.

Good luck

Hey kids

thanks!

My husband had the same issue. Disc problem in the same location. He did the meds, the shots, rest, even saw a chiropractor( which made it worse)

Ended up doing the surgery in 2007, and has been pretty much pain free since. Same day surgery and missed 2 months of work.

Yikes I can't miss two months of work. Update it feels a lot better I am scheduling an acupuncture session this week to see how it feels. I exercise 3-4 days a week running and lifting pretty heavy so the muscles are there. I was a powerlifter as a teen early twenties and have had a lot of weight on my back which I think hasn't helped me later in life.

FYI, I don't think science supports accupuncture (same goes for chiropractic care) as a solution, tho I'm not sure that means it won't give you any temporary relief.

5 years ago, I wasted time (thankfully not money, I didn't have to pay because I helped the guy out with his business) getting chiropractic care before I did the research and found out it was BS. The PT I got from the clinic was helpful, though. They teach you some really good stretches.

Acupuncture Does Not Work for Back Pain – Science-Based Medicine

FYI, I don't think science supports accupuncture (same goes for chiropractic care) as a solution, tho I'm not sure that means it won't give you any temporary relief.

5 years ago, I wasted time (thankfully not money, I didn't have to pay because I helped the guy out with his business) getting chiropractic care before I did the research and found out it was BS. The PT I got from the clinic was helpful, though. They teach you some really good stretches.

Acupuncture Does Not Work for Back Pain – Science-Based Medicine

yeah I dont trust chiropractors. I feel like they "adjust" you just so you will have to come back and get "adjusted" again. I've never tried acupuncture so Im going to give it a whilr. 1000 years of eastern medicine must know something right?

yeah I dont trust chiropractors. I feel like they "adjust" you just so you will have to come back and get "adjusted" again. I've never tried acupuncture so Im going to give it a whilr. 1000 years of eastern medicine must know something right?

Statistical significance aside, my friend played safety for BYU and had one of the most swollen sprained ankles I've ever seen and he treated it with acupuncture. It was like something out of Karate Kid. This Korean guy was our martial arts instructor (it was a college class) and offered to do the acupuncture for free. 24 hours later, all the swelling was gone. He wasn't 100%, but he was ready to play. BYU asked him to help out on the sidelines the rest of the year.

Wife is having surgery for 2 herniated discs tomorrow. The MRI showed that one was basically completely out and compressing the nerve root. She wanted to do surgery as a last resort but she was getting a dropped foot and we were afraid she would do permanent damage. Getting a microdiscectomy with a hemilaminectomy in the morning. 4 to 6 week recovery. Supposed to go to Disney in 3.5 weeks and the surgeon said if she is doing good he would release her to go.

Bignewt, I would definately see a neurologist and not an orthopedic. Definately look at all possible solutions. I had a complete rupture at C5, C6 in my neck about 9 years ago. I had the best neurologist in NAshville thank GOD. I had lost over 75% of the feeling in my left arm from my fingers to my elbow in a matter of two weeks. After the surgery by the Grace of GOD I now have most of the feeling back in that arm. I have a few spots that are numb and I drop things a lot without any control. Herniated discs can rupture. So please read up on procedures and discuss all the pros and cons with your doctor. As far as the pain goes, one of the things I used to do was to use ice bags directly on the area that was hurting. I would also take small styrofoam cups and fill them with water and freeze them. My wife would cut off the top edge of the cup and give me ice massages with it.
Most of your pain is the bad disc pushing or digging into the nerves. Ice can shrink that inflamation of the nerves and help curve the pain. If you can stand the cold it helps. I was terribly afraid of getting addicted to the pain meds, so when I had bad pains and coudn't have any more medicine I went for the ice bags. After a while they where a normal part of my day and night. When i went back for my five week checkup after my surgery, my Doctor asked me why I have only asked for one prescription refill and I explained the ice therapy to him.

Hey Newt. I don’t know what you have tried at this point and I will bias this by saying I’m a physical therapist. I would definitely recommend a conservative approach (physical therapy) before jumping to the surgery route. That’s not to say surgery is always a bad option, if the pain isn’t tolerable it is sometimes unavoidable but my suggestion to people is always to give conservative treatment a try before going under the knife (especially when it involves the spine). Give some therapy a try for 3-4 weeks and then reevaluate the situation. Like I said, I’m of course biased, but just my two cents.

Last edited:
I've got two herniated discs and have had them for seven years. Got an inversion table and it helps a lot. Won't cure you, but once you get regular with it, it really will dramatically reduce the frequency of pain.

VN Store

Back