East Tennessee Weather II

I don't like posting this, but here's the latest drought monitor for East TN. While it's only abnormally dry for a portion of northeast TN, a moderate La Nina could worsen conditions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-13-15-40-06.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-13-15-40-06.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 1
Freezing rain next weekend? What? It's a possibility! Stay tuned!

Definitely a period of cooler weather coming soon, but there will be another warmup sometime in early November. Also looking at some of the very long range models, we could see what winter lovers don't want to see in east TN, which is a lot of app runners. An app runner is when a low pressure system coming out of the south tracks over or very close to the Appalachian mountains. When that happens, we typically see a "warm nose" or "horseshoe effect" where the valley gets mostly rain and the higher elevations see the good snow amounts.

Below is a graphic of an app runner:

Apps+Runner.jpg

P.S. This is not an official forecast, so take the info with a grain of salt. I'm hoping this won't be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Personally, I'm liking the app runners on the LRM. Shows me that it won't be a dry winter. I'm mostly paying attention the te troughs and where the blocking ridges are setting up. App runners typically don't bold well for us but if we get enough there will be a chance where cold air will be in place and we could get dumped with lots of snow.

Also, we could just see a cold winter and see more snow or all rain. All in all, this will be a different winter than we've had in years past.

VK always bringing it though! Glad you're still around brotha!

Reactions: 1 person
VK,

We all love our local news stations but I have to get this out there.

My go to in Severe weather is Todd Howell but soon as Winter hits I'm all in for David Aldrich. He details and doesn't pump it up but he does give you hope!

What you say?

Coug! Where you be? Waiting on you to call me out my dude! Seriously though, You okay? Haven't saw you post in the threads lately.

VK,

We all love our local news stations but I have to get this out there.

My go to in Severe weather is Todd Howell but soon as Winter hits I'm all in for David Aldrich. He details and doesn't pump it up but he does give you hope!

What you say?

My favorite in severe weather is actually Ken Weathers and Matt Hinkin from WATE.

Coug! Where you be? Waiting on you to call me out my dude! Seriously though, You okay? Haven't saw you post in the threads lately.

Lol! I'm sitting here wondering why you guys started this thread? There are still like 900 posts left in the first East Tennessee weather thread.

Lol! I'm sitting here wondering why you guys started this thread? There are still like 900 posts left in the first East Tennessee weather thread.

Freak did, My post was in a new thread?

Next weekend highs in the 40s lows in the 20s? Dang

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1534.jpg
    IMG_1534.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
Just one model, but yes there's 3 systems moving in. I don't think we will see a deep artic push but I'll keep my eye on it.

I like this pattern though. Be interesting to monitor moving forward

VN Store

Back