DG's "Bag Over Head" Takeaways after the SC Game

DiderotsGhost

Is it time to start wearing paper bags over our heads?

Butch is done. On one hand, I don’t expect him to get sacked until after Bama. On the other hand, the writing is pretty much on the wall at this point; the only question is timing. Does he get fired this week or next week? Or is Currie a "wait till the end of the season" guy? It really doesn’t make much of a difference IMO, except that I think us fans want the resolution.

Worst UT offense I’ve seen in a long time. This might be worse than 2013. That says something pretty bad about our offensive coaches. The 2013 roster was thin on talent at the skill positions and yet it was probably playing slightly better than this offense. We did hang 52 on Western Kentucky and 31 on South Alabama in 2013. Compare that to the 17 point s#$%show against UMass; and that UMass team is much worse than WKU and USA in 2013.

10 Quarters without a Touchdown. That’s a seriously depressing factoid.

Defense is playing well. Other than the whole wearing-down-because-they-are-constantly-forced-to-be-on-the-field bit, the defense has been playing pretty well recently. We held SC down to 3 points for most of the game. Then Jake Bentley led a drive with several near perfect passes to score a TD. That drive would’ve been tough for even the best D in the nation to stop. We probably only gave up the last TD due to exhaustion. Overall, not a bad day for the defense, but it helps when you have an offense that can score more than 9 points and doesn’t constantly go 3-and-out.

Shoop’s job going unnoticed. It often takes good DCs two years to fully get their system to work. Sort of sad to see it wasted, but I feel like Bob Shoop has been doing a pretty good job this season. It’s going unnoticed because the trainwreck on offense. Defense has improved every game thus far. Defense was the only reason we were even in this game.

Georgia Tech = High Point of Season. This is another depressing thought given that we were quite fortunate to have won that game. It's still easily the best game we've played this year. Butch's record with over 3 weeks to prepare for an opponent is pretty good; Butch's record with 1 or 2 weeks to prepare --- not so much.

It’s not the individual elements of the offense.
This is the weirdest thing to me about this season. I continue to look at our players and think “a lot of these guys look very good”, but that the coaches just can’t figure out how to manage the talent or make them work together. It's definitely not the players IMO.

JG shows promise.
I can see a ton of talent in JG (and in Dormady, as well, for that matter). JG was not a world-beater, but he mostly played within himself and didn’t make too many huge mistakes. He showed a lot of promise during the game; I could potentially see a bright future for him here with improved coaching. When you have a bad scheme, bad coaching, bad playcalling, and wide receivers that don’t get open, it doesn’t really matter much, though, does it?

“The Riverboat Gambler” vs “By the Book Butch”. Any of y’all remember watching Ole Miss games back in the 90’s when Tommy Tuberville was head coach? Tuberville was in the broadcast booth for the game, which draws an interesting contrast. Tuberville was known as “the Mississippi Riverboat Gambler” when he coached Ole Miss, because he liked making adventurous moves. Butch Jones is almost the opposite in that he seems to believe there’s a book on how to do things and you never deviate from it. I’m not saying Tuberville’s style is “right” or that Butch’s is “wrong”, so much as I find it beyond bizarre that even with his job on the line, Butch is still coaching like he’s protecting a 28 point lead. Play-calling was insanely conservative for a guy who knows he’s fired unless he figures something out soon.

Ty Chander Still Underutilized. We underutilized Kamara in 2015 and 2016. We’re underutilizing Chandler now. Sure, John Kelly is one of the best RBs in the SEC, but it’s 2017, and you can use multiple backs. I’d like to see Chandler utilized more in the running game and the passing game. I’d like to see both RBs on the field more and for the defense not to know which one we’re going to use every single play. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Chandler had a massive yard per carry average as opposing defenses have mostly been very focused on stopping John Kelly.

Don’t focus on the small mistakes; focus on the big ones. JG made a mistake not spiking the ball on the 1st down at the end, but new QBs are gonna make mistakes. Some are complaining that we didn't run with John Kelly at the end of the game, but that's a tough move given the clock situation and no timeouts. I don't think we should focus too much on the end of game details. That's not why we lost. I’m more concerned about the big picture, which is that at no point during this game did our offensive coaches seem to have any f@#$ing idea what they were doing.

Recruiting class doesn’t matter anymore. Recruiting class is falling apart, which is the biggest sign that the writing is on the wall for Butch. We’ll likely have a weak recruiting class regardless of what happens at this point.

"I can't watch this!" I don't know how I'm going to sit through the Bama game. I might turn it off after the 2nd Quarter when we're down 24-0.

Ugh. That was depressing. It's painful being a Vols fan, but my blood still runs orange.

GBO!

Reactions: 17 people
Fair on CBS. The defense is improved from last year, at least to my eyes. Haven't checked any stats since GA Tech but there is no way they are dead last in every major category again. Would like to see what the defense looks like without CBJ.

Thanx DG. Another great write-up. I still don't understand why wait til after bummer to fire butch. Hate to say it but we ain't winning either way. Cut him loose.

OP a solid post IMO. I agree about our D, it has been playing better, see USCe's scoring up until yesterday, one TD? Not bad. If our D holds an opponent to 16 total points my expectation is UT wins. I agree overall JG had a solid game. He played within himself, executed the plays as called mostly, no major mistakes other than the spiking thing. That still does not excuse us having a gift second on a dead clock and not giving John Kelly a chance to punch it in, the call should have been student body right because big Trey is over there, toss the ball to Kelly for the win and EVERYBODY blocks including JG. The offensive play calling at the 4 second mark was horrendous, could not believe my eyes they didn't have the kid rolling on a run pass option.

Pretty much agree. Folks need to back off the spike issue. He was looking at the bench the whole time and got no orders. So on the coaches.
BTW still remember watching K Stabler roll right and throw the ball into the Bama cheerleaders to stop the clock. Except it was fourth down- he wasn't a freshman.

Reactions: 1 person
Our d has been playing better?
Better than what, a local HS team?
Do you remember the GA game?

They started out well. When your offense gives you no time to take a blow you wear down very quickly. They are much improved but I'm still very concerned about linebacker play/development.

Our d has been playing better?
Better than what, a local HS team?
Do you remember the GA game?

Better than last year.
Yes they are playing better than local high school teams.
Yes we allowed 378 yards which was less slightly less than last year against a much better Georgia team. Last year the offense was able to move the ball. The defense seems to always be on the field this season. 3 and outs hurt the defense more than the offense.
With the exception of Tech's run game slowly killing us the defense is doing a decent job. Nobody called them world beaters but they have improved IMO.

Did everyone see how Mushrat used the clock at the end of the game and made Jones use his timeouts. That effected how we called plays on the last drive and made it where the clock was working against us. That is exactly what Jones failed to do in the Fla game and that is one of the reasons we lost. i think this is one of Jones biggest short comings is that he doesn't know or doesn't care about clock management. i have watched jones for 5 years and i dont think he pays any attention to the clock at all . its like he doesn't think it matters. What about the drive yesterday that we got the delay of game penalty and ended up having to kick a field go. That screw up alone may have cost us the game. Jones is a horrible game day coach Horrible

Reactions: 3 people
Well said!! Yes it's time. I hope this time we get it right!!!! I just feel Butch is over his head, and I hate it cause the guy really did try his best!! Plus he's a good man and cares about players, but just not SEC type coach. Mid major is his ceiling at this time!! Go VOLS!!!

Thanks for the good OP.

If I can ask a question about minutia of the SC game, did anyone get a good look at the last play? Johnson seems reliable, but the pass went right through his hands. The defender had close coverage. Did the defender's arm get into the play enough to effect the catch?

I think Jones is a used car salesman and a con artist. Jones talks about his offense his system and says its infallible. Here are some facts on Jones as an OC . he basically started his career as an OC at Wilkes and was there 93-94. Where and who the hell is Wilkes!!! His next stop as OC was at Ferris State from 96-97 and then Central Michigan from 01-03. Thats where he developed his infallible offense. Jones is a fraud and we should have never hired him. Its time for the powers that be to decide if we are serous about football or not. Its ridiculous to keep making expensive improvements on a stadium that holds 100000 people if you are going to hire crap coaches and hope we find a diamond in the rough. My dad told me for years the biggest thing holding UT back was poor administration when it came to athletics. He was saying that 40 years ago . It seems that may still be a problem.

Did everyone see how Mushrat used the clock at the end of the game and made Jones use his timeouts. That effected how we called plays on the last drive and made it where the clock was working against us. That is exactly what Jones failed to do in the Fla game and that is one of the reasons we lost. i think this is one of Jones biggest short comings is that he doesn't know or doesn't care about clock management. i have watched jones for 5 years and i dont think he pays any attention to the clock at all . its like he doesn't think it matters. What about the drive yesterday that we got the delay of game penalty and ended up having to kick a field go. That screw up alone may have cost us the game. Jones is a horrible game day coach Horrible

This is damning evidence and just ONE of the reasons Butch has woefully damaged his own brand along with that of the Tennessee Vols. Twice we let the play clock run out, it was like no one noticed, Butch wasnt jumping up and down, begging for a timeout he didnt get or anything like that. It was just like a communal brain fart, but twice.

Butch just disregards the clock in general. And what muschamp did vs us, and what we didnt do vs florida is absolute coaching malpractice. Especially when you throw in the two delay of game penalties and the failure to down the ball. Its insane, and not like these deficiencies just reared their head, they've always plagued Butch.

With the bright SEC spotlight on him, the crows are just now coming home to roost. Butch really should have stayed in mid-major schools, and under the radar, cause, his value as a college head coach has completely bottomed out. Look for more fallout in the bama game, if he is still around.

This is damning evidence and just ONE of the reasons Butch has woefully damaged his own brand along with that of the Tennessee Vols. Twice we let the play clock run out, it was like no one noticed, Butch wasnt jumping up and down, begging for a timeout he didnt get or anything like that. It was just like a communal brain fart, but twice.

Butch just disregards the clock in general. And what muschamp did vs us, and what we didnt do vs florida is absolute coaching malpractice. Especially when you throw in the two delay of game penalties and the failure to down the ball. Its insane, and not like these deficiencies just reared their head, they've always plagued Butch.

With the bright SEC spotlight on him, the crows are just now coming home to roost. Butch really should have stayed in mid-major schools, and under the radar, cause, his value as a college head coach has completely bottomed out. Look for more fallout in the bama game, if he is still around.

Tell it all brother tell it all ! THANK YOU i didn't think people were seeing these things either. It bogles my mind that some of the media has missed alot of these things . Some of this stuff would be considers fundamental coaching. How can you teach kids to wrap up when you tackle and how to read a defense when you fail to understand how to use timouts and the clock to your advantage. Was there two delay off game penalties ? Damn ! i am trying not to hang on everything during a game right now . Its way to frustrating. Jones has drove me crazy with his game day coaching and his infallible offense for 5 years now.

Better than last year.
Yes they are playing better than local high school teams.
Yes we allowed 378 yards which was less slightly less than last year against a much better Georgia team. Last year the offense was able to move the ball. The defense seems to always be on the field this season. 3 and outs hurt the defense more than the offense.
With the exception of Tech's run game slowly killing us the defense is doing a decent job. Nobody called them world beaters but they have improved IMO.
:crazy::banghead2::no::no:

WHAT??? """...Tech's run game SLOWLY killing us, the defense is doing a decent job"""""
HINT: 41-0 is not SLOWLY killing us!! More like, they kicked our asses sideways, every tic of the game clock.
If 41-0 is doing a decent job in your opinion, due to your man crush on jones, then your going to orgasm over what BAMA is going to do to us. They are going to kill us even SLOWER!!!! :hi:

They started out well. When your offense gives you no time to take a blow you wear down very quickly. They are much improved but I'm still very concerned about linebacker play/development.

^^^^^
THIS.....if the offense could stay on the field for anything other than a 3 and out, maybe then the defense wouldn't be out there on their heels every game.

VN Store

Back