More cities giving heave ho to Columbus Day

TennFan

Some cities are renaming it "Indigenous Peoples Day."😱 Austin, Texas was the latest city to go that route. What's next? We'll probably have the holiday renamed on our calendars. Funny, but then wouldn't that not be a National holiday and state and Federal workers not get the day off?
Next we'll have Democrats or liberals want anything dealing with the south taken off the calendars.

Reactions: 1 person
Trying to argue FOR Columbus Day doesn’t look very well on you regardless of political views or affiliation

Reactions: 5 people
They did this in Nashville last week. Ironic thing was that the prior Monday was American Indian Day for the entire state and none of those council persons did jack to recognize or honor American Indians on that date and my guess is none of them even knew about it.

Neither does judging people from the 15th century based on modern worldview

Because only in modern worldview have we decided that it's bad to require everyone to collect certain amounts of gold, and if they don't, systematically chop their hands off and let them bleed to death. Can't blame 'em, right?

Reactions: 3 people
The Queen told him not to harm the natives (a 1490s "worldview") and he and his men hunted them for sport.

Reactions: 2 people
Trying to argue FOR Columbus Day doesn’t look very well on you regardless of political views or affiliation
We don't even acknowledge it in most of the South. It's a Yankee holiday. I save it for July 13, which is Nathan Bedford Forrest Day in Tennessee.

It's nice to get a court holiday, regardless of what its for. I don't care what its called

It's nice to get a court holiday, regardless of what its for. I don't care what its called
When I was a baby lawyer, there was one judge in Bedford County who made a thing about holding court on the Friday after Thanksgiving Day. I was in Nashville, but got assigned to that docket call a few years in a row because all of my fellow associates had to travel out of state to visit their families and I was ignorant enough to disclose that all of my family was in the area. My second job, I started making up stories about where I was going for holidays.

Reactions: 1 person
Columbus was a P.O.S. of course all Euro explorers were, backed by their crowns to legally rape and pillage.

I’m pretty far from being a liberal. I believe most of their ideas are non-sensical. But Columbus Day is stupid.

And while I’m here, day light savings time is stupid, too.

I’m pretty far from being a liberal. I believe most of their ideas are non-sensical. But Columbus Day is stupid.

And while I’m here, day light savings time is stupid, too.

Seconded. I just learned on Jeopardy last week that it was created due to the fuel shortage of the 70's.

wait what?

At least that is what I thought I heard.

The oil embargo was lifted in March 1974, but oil prices remained high, and the effects of the energy crisis lingered throughout the decade. In addition to price controls and gasoline rationing, a national speed limit was imposed and daylight saving time was adopted year-round for the period of 1974-75.

At least that is what I thought I heard.

The oil embargo was lifted in March 1974, but oil prices remained high, and the effects of the energy crisis lingered throughout the decade. In addition to price controls and gasoline rationing, a national speed limit was imposed and daylight saving time was adopted year-round for the period of 1974-75.

I thought there was no way that was correct. I always thought it had something to do with farming and dates back to well before WWII.

A quick wiki scan and sure enough it was widely adopted in North American dues to the 1970s energy crisis. Although it had been proposed much much earlier by Benjamin Franklin and used then abandoned for various reason up until the 1970s.

Anyway.. regarding Columbus Day...

Is this really a hill conservatives are going to die on to fight for a guy who didn’t even really discover the Continental US? Or even North America for that matter? As far as I’m concerned it can just fade away into obscurity. The govt and banks don’t need the extra day off. They aren’t lacking for those as is.

Reactions: 6 people
What about the Hollywood director, Chris Columbus? Does he get the heave ho like ESPN did with Korean commentator Bob Lee?

VN Store

Back