What's Everyone Think of The Sports Animal?

volswillrise12

VN Crisis Counselor
I listen here and there to the station. Josh and Will are ok. Ainge's Show is fine at times. Is it any better since the firing of Dearstone?

I don't do much local sports. From what I've heard, I like it.

That said there is barely enough sports on a national level to put together regular programming. How they manage to talk UT all day everyday is beyond me.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't do much local sports. From what I've heard, I like it.

That said there is barely enough sports on a national level to put together regular programming. How they manage to talk UT all day everyday is beyond me.

I'm fairly sure Knoxville has one of the highest sports radio audiences per capita in the US.

I am not a fan, I like Ainge every now and then. I like Fox Sports Knoxville better, especial The Drive, don't really care for the other shows, but I really like the Drive

I'm fairly sure Knoxville has one of the highest sports radio audiences per capita in the US.

I'm certain there is a strong market for it. I just don't need that much UT news in my life. I have actually met a few of the people at the station at a remote they were doing at my old job.

I only listen to two sports shows. Dan Lebatard and Bomani Jones.

Last edited:
I am not a fan, I like Ainge every now and then. I like Fox Sports Knoxville better, especial The Drive, don't really care for the other shows, but I really like the Drive

The Drive has gone downhill since Terry Fair left.

Reactions: 1 person
I listen here and there to the station. Josh and Will are ok. Ainge's Show is fine at times. Is it any better since the firing of Dearstone?

The new lineup is great in my opinion.

Heather and Tyler is a huge improvement over the old show.

Ainge has a really good show.

Josh and Will are one of the better shows.

Sportstalk is the mainstay. Great guests. John and Jimmy are pros.

Anyone ever try to listen to 1180 AM? That station has some of the worst audio quality. It's a shame because I like SB Nation programming.

The Sports Animal is okay, but actual sports discussion seems to be more of a commercial in between extended commercials. Two minutes talk, six minutes Xfinity changed Jimmy Hyams life and someone else vaped instead of smoking while they worked out at so and so's gym.

Reactions: 2 people

I agree, those early afternoon guys are like 2 high schoolers terrible to listen to. Morning show is still a joke. Haven't listened to ainge yet, wasn't that impressed with his other show.

Last edited:
The morning show is still trash. Tyler Ivens is not a lot better than Mickey.

Last edited:
I listen to Swain on 1180 until 9am when Ainge's show starts. Once Ainge's show is off at noon I'll swap over to Basilio. After that, I don't listen to anymore local radio.

I cannot stand the afternoon show with John and Jimmy. I understand that the callers, for the most part, are goobers, but John and Jimmy are condescending and will dismiss anything said that doesn't follow their line of thought.

I didn't realize Russel Smith still had a show.

I listen to Swain on 1180 until 9am when Ainge's show starts. Once Ainge's show is off at noon I'll swap over to Basilio. After that, I don't listen to anymore local radio.

I cannot stand the afternoon show with John and Jimmy. I understand that the callers, for the most part, are goobers, but John and Jimmy are condescending and will dismiss anything said that doesn't follow their line of thought.

Basilio is way worse than John and Jimmy.

Can't stand Tyler thats on with Heather. It's 6:30am and I'm wanting Vol news on my drive in and he's asking "hot dogs or hamburgers, which do you prefer?"

I'm like wtf.

Basilio is way worse than John and Jimmy.

Can't stand Tyler thats on with Heather. It's 6:30am and I'm wanting Vol news on my drive in and he's asking "hot dogs or hamburgers, which do you prefer?"

I'm like wtf.

I get that with Basilio; I guess I'm just able to see the over-the-top diatribe as entertainment, not so much a source of information.

J&J just come across as narcissistic know-it-alls to me, but they've been around forever, so they are obviously doing something right.

The Sports Animal is okay, but actual sports discussion seems to be more of a commercial in between extended commercials. Two minutes talk, six minutes Xfinity changed Jimmy Hyams life and someone else vaped instead of smoking while they worked out at so and so's gym.

That is a the truth!

I listen to Ainge via podcast later in the evening. They segment it into hours and each one starts with literally 5 minutes of commercials. Fortunately I've figured it out and can skip them but still....

I've come close to writing them and saying something like "I know you have to pay the bills but can you not START the show with 5 full minutes of commercials?"

I like John and Jimmy too but don't listen to them that often. I also enough Jimmy's Sunday morning show. I with they would podcast it too.

Josh and Will get on my nerves.

I agree 100%---John and Jimmy's callers are annoying as all get out. Larry, Steve--they are sad characters.

Ainge's show is good. Good combination with Rice.

Swain has insightful viewpoints.

Josh & Will are ok.

John & Jimmy are good but too many commercials.

Havent Listened to Reed much. He has been solid the times I have caught him.

The Drive is growing on me. I'm not a fan of Bear tho.

To many commercials, or should i say infomercials. I mean they literally yacck on and on about how great such and such a product is. I mean i get it, stations need ad revenue to help pay the bills, but this station is overkill with the commercials.

When im not feeling annoyed by the endless drivel and pitch of products ill prolly never use anyway, about the onlynshow i like is sports talk. The other shows are just amatuer hour

Last edited:
Ainge and Rice are the best thing they've had in years. Helps they can competently talk about other sports in transition time frames. Wilkerson is fine, Hyams is still a newspaper guy doing a radio show. It's not a bad thing...just a bit dry at times. Josh and Will are meh. Ward seems to be going down a Rucker path.

Commercials don't bother me, I generally podcast anything i listen to longer than 10 minutes.

VN Store

Back