Equifax hack

I've heard it's not a good idea to sign up for the free monitoring. Something about not being able to join a class action suit against them if you do.

Anyone know for sure?

I've heard it's not a good idea to sign up for the free monitoring. Something about not being able to join a class action suit against them if you do.

Anyone know for sure?

They have this on the FAQ:

5) Adjusted the TrustedID Premier and Clarified Equifax.com
We’ve added an FAQ to our website to confirm that enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not waive any rights to take legal action. We removed that language from the Terms of Use on the website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The Terms of Use on www.equifax.com do not apply to the TrustedID Premier product being offered to consumers as a result of the cybersecurity incident.

Reactions: 1 person
They have this on the FAQ:

5) Adjusted the TrustedID Premier and Clarified Equifax.com
We’ve added an FAQ to our website to confirm that enrolling in the free credit file monitoring and identity theft protection that we are offering as part of this cybersecurity incident does not waive any rights to take legal action. We removed that language from the Terms of Use on the website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com. The Terms of Use on www.equifax.com do not apply to the TrustedID Premier product being offered to consumers as a result of the cybersecurity incident.

That's what I was wondering, can we also hold the creditors who report to them accountable?

I put my info into their website and they came back with the subtle message that my information may have been compromised. Since half of the country has some sort of credit, I'm pretty sure that everyone was compromised, way to go Equifax.

What I find crappy is they charge to put a lock on your credit report per month for each of the credit agencies. Apparently you can report a fraud alert to Equifax for no charge and they are required to report it to the other credit companies. This gives you some measure of protection as lenders are required to ask for more information before they grant credit which I think I'll do.

The thing that sucks, is that this may not affect you until years from now. Who knows when your info will get bought up on the dark web somewhere.

I put my info into their website and they came back with the subtle message that my information may have been compromised. Since half of the country has some sort of credit, I'm pretty sure that everyone was compromised, way to go Equifax.

What I find crappy is they charge to put a lock on your credit report per month for each of the credit agencies. Apparently you can report a fraud alert to Equifax for no charge and they are required to report it to the other credit companies. This gives you some measure of protection as lenders are required to ask for more information before they grant credit which I think I'll do.

I got an all clear from them. Not sure that means anything.

I've had the Zander ID Theft Insurance for years for just this very reason. Hope that I don't have to use it, but glad its there if I do.

It is headline news. I've seen all kinds of stories about it.

It wasn't a few days ago. Now that people are starting to realize how bad this is it's getting more coverage. Also, it sounds like they were aware of the hack back in the summer.

I checked the other day when it first happened and it said I hadn't been impacted. I went back today to sign up for credit monitoring and it said that I had been impacted. FYI

I checked the other day when it first happened and it said I hadn't been impacted. I went back today to sign up for credit monitoring and it said that I had been impacted. FYI

They probably hadn't gone through all the data that was hacked when you first checked.

The Equifax check seems to be just a basic thing that doesn't actually check the impact.

Also, if you try to freeze your credit good luck. Each of the three companies are making it incredibly difficult, and TransUnion is trying to sell you their own credit monitoring software if you try to freeze your credit with them. People should be jailed over this.

Wonder how their security got compromised. Seem to have a crack staff

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1505525566841.jpg
    FB_IMG_1505525566841.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 2 people
A friend of mine suggested a theory that the people who did it probably have no intention of using the info they simply did it to prove a point or try and tank the company.

Any thoughts on that?

VN Store

Back