Concerned about my 5-year-old daughter

peyton4heisman

Senior Lurker New Member
Today was her first day of Kindergarten. She came home and said a girl punched her in the face twice. At first I got mad but then she continued and before it was over, she had accused everyone from her entire class to the principal of hitting her.
She has always been 100% honest and this is way out of character for her. But that's just the beginning. It took a DARK turn later this afternoon:
She was talking to my wife while drawing after dinner and out of nowhere told my wife (her mom) that one day I locked her in the bedroom and she heard me "kill somebody with a knife and then drag the body to the woods and then came back to clean up the blood before letting her out of the bedroom!"

I am completely shocked that she would say such dark things and even further shocked that she'd say them about me. I've always been careful to monitor what she watches on TV as much as possible and my wife and I shower her and her little sister with more love than you could imagine!

Basically what I want to know is 1.) any of you ever experience something similar with your child? and 2.) IYO, should I bring this up with her doctor and dig further with maybe a child psychologist, or am I completely overreacting?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I have a 5 year old and although every kid is different, what you've stated is very concerning. I would definitely have her speak with someone

Reactions: 3 people
I would probably take her to a doctor, better safe than sorry. I will be praying for her.

Reactions: 2 people
I would go with the child psychiatrist as you thought, before it gets out of hand -- never know if/when cops might get involved esp with the murder story if she tells that to a teacher --- probably just wanting attention but going about the wrong way of getting it

Thank you guys for your time and thoughtful replies. I'm praying that this is a one-off thing and that the source of the subject matter is merely something she saw on TV that slipped past me. We will be monitoring her very closely and I will be calling her pediatrician tomorrow to see if an appointment can be made for a referral to a child psychologist.

It's like I said in the OP, she has never shown any signs of this disturbing behavior until today, so hopefully she will be back to herself from now on. But again, you guys taking time to reply means a lot! Thanks and thank you for your prayers!

Did you confront her about these stories? Before you go to a doctor do some online research.

Hopefully it's nothing. Is she on any kinds of medications? Has she been exposed to other children where she might have picked up some ideas like older siblings? Do you have a baby sitter?

Take her to the Dr. It could have been something as simple as separation anxiety but don't take the chance. Take it from me get ahead of it now

I don't have a kid but I work in early childhood education 4-5 year olds to be exact. Have you spoke with the teacher and found out if he/she seen anything in the classroom? It's possible she may be picking this up from another child at the school. If it were to continue then I would talk to a doctor and see if they can recommend you a child psychologist.

Reactions: 4 people
Did you confront her about these stories? Before you go to a doctor do some online research.

What? Sure, self diagnose.

The child is demonstrating paranoid delusions.

OP, do you have anyone else watch your child when you are not around?

Hopefully it's nothing. Is she on any kinds of medications? Has she been exposed to other children where she might have picked up some ideas like older siblings? Do you have a baby sitter?

No meds. She has a 3yo sister. She went to pre-k last year and no baby sitter.
I must admit, even though she's only been to the school one day, I suspect there is a connection. It's just too coincidental for it to start the same day she started school. I hope she heard it from another child (because that is something that can be addressed relatively simply)

Last edited:
What? Sure, self diagnose.

The child is demonstrating paranoid delusions.

OP, do you have anyone else watch your child when you are not around?

Only my wife and my parents. All trusted, sound-minded people. I'm touched that you guys are displaying such genuine concern! That's why I love our community! Y'all are the best!

Last edited:
I must admit, even though she's only been to the school one day, I suspect there is a connection. It's just too coincidental for it to start the same day she started school. I hope she heard it from another child (because that is something that can be addressed relatively simply)

I have a 6 year old boy in first grade. It amazes me what some of his classmates have been exposed to. Things I hear other kids saying during drop off and pick up makes the cynic in me weep for the future and it's the parents fault.

I haven't heard anything quite as dark as your tale but it really wouldn't surprise me.

This behavior coincides with her starting school then it there is some sort of trigger. Whether it is the bigger class environment, a bully, different cultural behaviors, child acting out around her or just not being the center of attention in such a large environment. Something triggered this day one to a concerning level.

I would talk with her about what is new to her or troubling her about this new experience. Also others have provided sound advice concerning seeking a doctor's opinion.

Good luck with this and we will be praying for you and the family.

CH_V

Last edited:

That would be my first assumption considering she was in a Pre-k room last year and this behavior wasn't occurring. You would be amazed some of the things I see parents thinking are okay for their children to see and hear. I had a 4 year old last year tell another child he was going to "shoot their mother and watch her guts fall out." I can't say for certain, but I would really expect she has heard this from someone there. Why she is repeating it could be a different issue, maybe she saw a child doing this and getting more attention, maybe its anxiety related being at a new school and she thinks it can keep her from having to go.

It's such a scary world that we live in. Not singling out your daughter; just the world in general. I don't have any professional answers for you but I will keep you and your situation in my prayers.

Basically what I want to know is 1.) any of you ever experience something similar with your child?

I agree with what everyone above has said regarding talking with teacher and taking your daughter to medical professionals. In regards to this question, yes, my own daughter said similar wild things when she was around 5.

Just so all bases are covered, has your daughter brought home any strange new toys? Dolls, antique boxes of strange design, books?

And, if my attempt at a little levity offends, I apologize.

You have kids? No? Then you have no idea what it's like as a parent.

The emotions you feel as a parent are not an accurate reflection of how safe the world is. If the world isn't "safe" in 2017 America, then when and where was it safe? There is significantly less violence, teen pregnancy, and teen drug use than when I was a kid, and we have the best medical care in history. My Uncle died of polio. My mentally disabled Aunt grew up in a world that had a ton of trouble accommodating her. It's a great time to be a kid.

The emotions you feel as a parent are not an accurate reflection of how safe the world is. If the world isn't "safe" in 2017 America, then when and where was it safe? There is significantly less violence, teen pregnancy, and teen drug use than when I was a kid, and we have the best medical care in history. My Uncle died of polio. My mentally disabled Aunt grew up in a world that had a ton of trouble accommodating her. It's a great time to be a kid.

Kids can't ride their bikes more than 20 yards in a straight line. Stop it.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back