Washington, D.C. Travel Advice

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
I am planning on taking my two boys to see the Nation's Capitol. I've been a few times, but it's been many years. I would love to hear suggestions on where to stay (have travel points and not afraid to use them), what to see (aside from the usual monuments, museums, etc), and restaurants.

In particular, I need to book a hotel soon. Better to stay within walking distance to many of the sights, or plan to use the transit options? Specific recommendations?

Thanks for any help. I just don't have any real familiarity with the city, and it's a little overwhelming to plan!

Reactions: 1 person
My wife and I stayed in Alexandria, VA. It was a great choice. Plenty of restaurants, shopping, historical sites and tour, and really close to Arlington. We took an uber or the metro to the city when ever we went in. Overall we had a great time and if we go back I'll be staying there again.

I am planning on taking my two boys to see the Nation's Capitol. I've been a few times, but it's been many years. I would love to hear suggestions on where to stay (have travel points and not afraid to use them), what to see (aside from the usual monuments, museums, etc), and restaurants.

In particular, I need to book a hotel soon. Better to stay within walking distance to many of the sights, or plan to use the transit options? Specific recommendations?

Thanks for any help. I just don't have any real familiarity with the city, and it's a little overwhelming to plan!

I went 1 1/2 years ago and stayed here. Was great location.

http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en...ngton-dc-convention-center-WASCCES/index.html

Free breakfast and happy hour

How old are the boys?

If they're old enough to walk a good bit, the Metro will get you pretty much every where.

Download Arlington's app and spend almost a day there. It is a fascinating place. You're amazed at what you see just wandering around.

Atlas Obscura usually has some decent DC things that aren't usually on a list. Embassy Row can be cool if your kids are interested in the different countries.

Go to your reps and senators offices, especially if they're in town. Cafeterias in the Senate and House office buildings are pretty damn good. Last time we went, I sat next to a One Star that was the general over the Army's budget.

Spend

Crystal city is a good spot to stay. Walking distance to the metro.

Try to get a White House tour. How old are the boys?

Old Ebbitt Grill is good is you're around the white house. We had brunch there.
Ted's Bulletin makes pop-tartsin house and has kick A milkshakes
Medium Rare is a neat take on a steak house in the same area

Mt. Vernon is one of my fave places. You get the historical side, but it's also neat to see the farm (with animals/etc) and there's a really good indoor museum with mini-theaters.

Last edited:
Best advice: Stay away.

Cyrstal City isn't a bad area (its where I stay for the Army Ten Miler). Use the subway. Screw trying to drive in DC

Best advice: Stay away.

Cyrstal City isn't a bad area (its where I stay for the Army Ten Miler). Use the subway. Screw trying to drive in DC

My brother lived there, in Arlington, and in Alexandria,we always have stayed in Crystal City, it's pretty convenient.

Reactions: 1 person
Once you get into the city you can rent/drop off bikes along the way if you want to move around easily w/out having to walk. And don't forget uber. During the inauguration and our christmas trip the year before we utilized it a lot. Unless you just want the experience of using the metro you csn always just look into being picked up and dropped in the city.

Crystal city is a good spot to stay. Walking distance to the metro.

Try to get a White House tour. How old are the boys?

Old Ebbitt Grill is good is you're around the white house. We had brunch there.
Ted's Bulletin makes pop-tartsin house and has kick A milkshakes

Medium Rare is a neat take on a steak house in the same area

Mt. Vernon is one of my fave places. You get the historical side, but it's also neat to see the farm (with animals/etc) and there's a really good indoor museum with mini-theaters.

agree with both. Those pop tarts are off the chain! I also recommend the Occidental. Kinda pricey, but a neat experience. Whats the hotel across the street from the White House with the roof top bar? That's a cool experience as well.

agree with both. Those pop tarts are off the chain! I also recommend the Occidental. Kinda pricey, but a neat experience. Whats the hotel across the street from the White House with the roof top bar? That's a cool experience as well.

Not sure but go to the Willard. Lots of neat things happened there including the introduction of the first mint julep into DC Society. It's also where the term lobbyist originated.

My wife and I went a month ago for the weekend. We're both mid 30's no kids and still like to party some, so your experience might be a bit different. We got a great deal on Trivago for the Henley Park Hotel, which is in walking distance to the White House. Had lunch at the Capitol lounge, which is basically a sports bar a block and half from The Capitol. They have really good wings if you're into that sort of stuff, great beer selection and there were kids there. We did Old Ebbitts also for dinner and it was very good. I would say the highlight of our trip was doing a Ford's Theater tour. It was very good. I highly recommend that, and think the kids would enjoy it as well. It's also very inexpensive. We did the Aerospace museum as well, but the one at Dulles is much better.

Last edited:
National Zoo on the Red Line is a good area, with lots of smaller restaurants, nearby. I stay at the Marriott Wardman Park often; I can usually can get a much better rate there than downtown hotels. About 10 minute metro ride to Gallery Place.

I like the Double Tree in Pentagon City. Very nice hotel, close to metro, malls, etc. Easy to get to and they have their own parking.

When are you going to be there? Are your boys old enough to lift boxes/move furniture? I'm getting stationed at the Pentagon and I move up there on the 7th. No better way to spend a vacation than unloading my Uhaul.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with the suggestions above for Embassy Row and Mount Vernon. I had annual passes to Mount Vernon when I lived in the area and would ride my bike down there to hang out and read. Georgetown is cool, but the kids may not enjoy that. The waterfront is nice and you can check out the Exorcist steps.

Old Ebbitt Grill is a classic and the Crab Cakes are great. I am not sure if kids are allowed to the W rooftop, but you have great views from there. If biking is an option there is a pathway along the Potomac in VA and crossing the Memorial Bridge into DC is cool. Also, they have bike share stations around the city if you want to rent for just a short trip.

Great Falls is very cool and a pretty drive on the Parkway, I prefer the Maryland side.

And check out the Mall at night. The Lincoln, Vietnam Wall and the Korean memorials are spectacular at night. The National Cathedral is a good stop also.

Check out the Spy Museum. Both Rays the Steaks and Rays Hellburger were really good a few years ago the last time I was there. Blackfinn is the local UT alumni sports bar, and they have pretty legit food. Granted there won't be much in the way of watch parties during the summer. Agreed on Crystal City being a nice spot to stay. I've also stayed in Alexandria and liked it.

Thanks for the input. My boys are 13 and 10, good shape, have hiked 12+ miles. I was thinking it would be cool to stay downtown near the big sights, but the thoughts on Arlington are interesting.

We will definitely hit the spy museum.

VN Store

Back