I have throat cancer,need help finding a surgeon

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
as most of ya'll know I have been diagnosed with it,I posted about it in the Lady Vols forum

I was talking with my oncologist today and found out due to having Ankylosing spondylitis (arthritis) that there is a very high probability that I will lose my larynx after the radiation treatment,I asked higher than 70% or 80% and he said higher than that

they have told me that it has been found very early, so far that has been the only good thing about it

there aren't many options about what to do about it,either do the radiation treatments and lose it for sure or opt for surgery and do a partial laryngectomy and hope they get the cancer,which is what I'm leaning toward,my thinking is the worst thing that would happen,is doing the radiation therapy anyway

my Ear Nose and Throat doctor is checking on if it can be done at Wake Forrest or not,I'm looking to see if I can find someone that can do the partial laryngectomy , with the arthritis being a major issue

I'm trying to find someone that can do it on my own,just encase my ENT can't find some one to do it

is there anybody good at UT med ? or else where ? some help would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Is there no alternative for the radiation treatment ? Vanderbilt Med seems like the best after seeing the fantastic job they did for Weezer -- long way from your home, but Northwestern in Evanston Il is really good also

the surgery is the only thing that has been discussed with me so,if they can't do that,then the radiation treatments

I may be off on the name of the surgery,they threw so much stuff at me today,that I was lost

I have a close friend who beat throat cancer and is now cancer free and can talk as well as ever. He had robotic surgery and used skin and muscle grafts to repair the affected areas.

Reactions: 1 person
as most of ya'll know I have been diagnosed with it,I posted about it in the Lady Vols forum

I was talking with my oncologist today and found out due to having Ankylosing spondylitis (arthritis) that there is a very high probability that I will lose my larynx after the radiation treatment,I asked higher than 70% or 80% and he said higher than that

they have told me that it has been found very early, so far that has been the only good thing about it

there aren't many options about what to do about it,either do the radiation treatments and lose it for sure or opt for surgery and do a partial laryngectomy and hope they get the cancer,which is what I'm leaning toward,my thinking is the worst thing that would happen,is doing the radiation therapy anyway

my Ear Nose and Throat doctor is checking on if it can be done at Wake Forrest or not,I'm looking to see if I can find someone that can do the partial laryngectomy , with the arthritis being a major issue

I'm trying to find someone that can do it on my own,just encase my ENT can't find some one to do it

is there anybody good at UT med ? or else where ? some help would be greatly appreciated :)

Keep your head up. My uncle fought throats cancer for 30 years. Kept his voice and lived a normal life

Last edited:
What is it about the AS that impacts the larynx?

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer GM.... thoughts and prayers.

How long have you been dealing with AS?

I don't have anything to offer, except prayers and support. You've got a phenomenal group here on Volnation.

Reactions: 2 people

I would talk to someone in proton therapy. From my understanding a lot of doctors don't like it, because they can't get paid on it like surgery and chemo. I had a friend cured of cancer from it.

I can help, dude. Have I ever told you about this real sharp shinny knife that I have? :cool:

Reactions: 2 people
I have a good friend in Maryville that is a fantastic ENT surgeon. Would you want to see him?

Broke my heart reading the thread title. So sorry you're having to go through this gm. They caught it early so that's a promising thing. Thoughts and prayers to you good man!

Eric R. Carlson DMD, MD, FACS
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Cancer Institute
UT Hospital
1930 Alcoa Highway, Suite A-335
Knoxville, TN 37920

In my thoughts and prayers, mule!

My mother had breast cancer surgery, luckily they caught it early and got it all. The oncologist gave her the option of chemo and radiation or just radiation. She opted for the latter and thus far, she is ok.

Dang - hate to hear this! Lots of us here will be pulling for you and keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Wish I knew someone to recommend.

What is it about the AS that impacts the larynx?

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer GM.... thoughts and prayers.

How long have you been dealing with AS?

the oncologist told me that they use to treat AS with radiation therapy and that it locked up the joints as hard as a rock,that is what will happen to my larynx after the treatment and that the odds of that happening are very high,he did say greater than 80%

and throw in the fact that AS will make the surgery more difficult,due to my neck not bending hardly at all

and I've dealt with the AS probably around 25 years or so

I have a good friend in Maryville that is a fantastic ENT surgeon. Would you want to see him?

I would be interested in contacting them and see if they can help :hi:

the Arthritis is the kicker,I had to go to UT Med due to the anesthesiologist in Morristown being unable to get a breathing tube in during a procedure before,any help would be greatly appreciated

ask Freak to give you my email address ,thanks for the help :)

I would be interested in contacting them and see if they can help :hi:

the Arthritis is the kicker,I had to go to UT Med due to the anesthesiologist in Morristown being unable to get a breathing tube in during a procedure before,any help would be greatly appreciated

ask Freak to give you my email address ,thanks for the help :)

Dr. Bryan Tigner
Foothills ENT
(865) 983-4090

VN Store

Back