Total Solar Eclipse - August 21, 2017

Coug

A Total Solar Eclipse is Coming to the United States!

Sweetwater will be one of the optimal viewing spots for the totality of the eclipse at 2:32:35p CDT. Observers there will see (appx.) 2m 37s of totality! They are having their own festival to celebrate the eclipse.

http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/communities/states/TN/Sweetwater_1818.htm

Here is a Google Maps link that will show you the national track of total solar eclipse. You don't HAVE to travel to Sweetwater you just have to be in the shadowed area to see the total eclipse of the sun. Sweetwater simply offers the longest viewing time of the total solar eclipse in this area. Farragut is in the path of totality for the Total Solar Eclipse of August 21, 2017!
Observers there will see (appx.) 1m 20s of totality!

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_page...6014&Lng=-84.4611&Zoom=9&Map='ROADMAP'&OMap=0

You can find safe solar viewing glasses for sale online.

Last edited:
They've already called off school here in Georgia because it's supposed to be dark for a couple of minutes.

I'll be in Nashville. Pulling the kids out of school to go see it.

I bought some good viewing glasses. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to photograph it?
I remember the first eclipse I ever saw our next door neighbor set up a pair of binoculars on a tripod pointed towards the sun with a poster board behind it. It projected a perfect view of the sun and moon crossing it. Just an idea for those so inclined.

I bought some good viewing glasses. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to photograph it?
I remember the first eclipse I ever saw our next door neighbor set up a pair of binoculars on a tripod pointed towards the sun with a poster board behind it. It projected a perfect view of the sun and moon crossing it. Just an idea for those so inclined.

Why is it they say you can't look directly at it? Asking for a friend who is too lazy to google. 😜

Why is it they say you can't look directly at it? Asking for a friend who is too lazy to google. 😜

You can when the sun is completely covered by the moon. If it's not completely covered and you look at the sun, you'll damage your eyes.

You can when the sun is completely covered by the moon. If it's not completely covered and you look at the sun, you'll damage your eyes.

Okay, I remember it had something to do with hurting your eyes, but wasn't sure.

I was planning on viewing the eclipse in Wyoming but the wife's work schedule won't allow. The high plains would have been perfect, low chance of clouds, plus the big sky.

Backup plan is on Tellico lake near Vonore around the SE side of the Toqua area. Weather permitting, I look forward to that shadow racing my way at 2000 mph.

Ultraviolet radiation will give your retina a sunburn of which your eye may or may not recover from.

I was planning on viewing the eclipse in Wyoming but the wife's work schedule won't allow. The high plains would have been perfect, low chance of clouds, plus the big sky.

Backup plan is on Tellico lake near Vonore around the SE side of the Toqua area. Weather permitting, I look forward to that shadow racing my way at 2000 mph.

Husband couldn't get off, otherwise we would have gone to the mountains

You guys know that the next opportunity to see this won't be for another 7 years? You also know that stomach bugs occur year round and are very contagious, yes? :whistling:

Reactions: 1 person
Knox county schools will be out due to the expectation of many parents taking their kids out to view this event

The biggest question here of course is why are kids in school in August? Are these year round schools?

You southerners man, I tell ya......

Dangerous. However, if you use a simple magnifying glass held about 8 inches from your eye, you can watch the whole eclipse.

Dangerous. However, if you use a simple magnifying glass held about 8 inches from your eye, you can watch the whole eclipse.
That will actually turn the light into a laser and burn his eye 🔥🔥🔥🔥

Last edited:
That will actually turn the light into a laser and burn his eye 🔥🔥🔥🔥

If I didn't know any better, I'd think he was setting me up! On second thought, I'm sure of it!

VN Store

Back