Exploring Tennessee

GVF

Talk Dirty To Me
OK locals, and well traveled. Looking for weekend "adventures" and things to do in Middle/East Tennessee and Central KY. Days trips, inexpensive, enjoyable. Can include fishing destinations, parks, exploring, towns, etc. Just looking for fun family or couple excursions, outdoorsy or tourist. And again, affordable. What've you done?

To kick it off, we are doing the Cades Cove trip Sunday with picnic and a stop in Pigeon Forge on the way back. It's been several years on that one, but it gets us out of the house and easily done on a day trek, as hotel expenses are not normally an option.

You live in Cookeville so I'm assuming you've been to Fall Creek Falls State Park. If not give it a look.

Reactions: 2 people
It would be a long day from from Cookeville but a weekend float down the Hiwassee River in Polk county would be an option. Easy whitewater and some amazing scenery.

To kick it off, we are doing the Cades Cove trip Sunday with picnic and a stop in Pigeon Forge on the way back. It's been several years on that one, but it gets us out of the house and easily done on a day trek, as hotel expenses are not normally an option.

Weather permitting, you should seriously consider the Gregory Bald hike from Cades Cove off Parsons Branch Rd. Mid/late June is when the fields of azaleas bloom there, a spectacle that attracts hikers from all over the Southeast.

Reactions: 1 person
The Little River in Townsend is in prime tubing shape right now. The float from Smoky Mountain Outdoor Center takes just over an hour and is both relaxing and scenic. Cool gear at the store, too.

Other recommended hikes (there is a dedicated thread for details): Mt LeConte via Alum Cave trail, Rocky Top (Thunderhead Mtn), Mt Cammerer, Honey Creek Loop and Outlook at Big South Fork, Middle Prong Trail (waterfalls, oh my!), and Abrams Falls.

If you can go to the GSM during the mid week there's a much higher chance of seeing wildlife. Also, I second the tubing down Little River great fun for kids and adults.

Big South Fork national river and recreation area is a outdoors Mecca. And Mammoth Cave National park and the other caves in that area in Kentucky. There are so many cool state parks in middle Tennessee and Kentucky it's ridiculous.

Window Cliffs is a cool hike that isn't far from Cookeville.

There is lots of cool stuff around Big South Fork. Stone Door is pretty interesting.

In addition to the GSMNP hikes that have been mentioned, I would add Mt. Cammerer and Ramsey's Cascade.

You live in Cookeville so I'm assuming you've been to Fall Creek Falls State Park. If not give it a look.

I haven't been to Fall Creek Falls since grad school. I live on top of Cummins Falls, but I do enjoy others. I am a GA native, but we moved up here two years ago to the family place.

Weather permitting, you should seriously consider the Gregory Bald hike from Cades Cove off Parsons Branch Rd. Mid/late June is when the fields of azaleas bloom there, a spectacle that attracts hikers from all over the Southeast.

how long /strenuous is that hike. that sounds good since we will already be there. My wife would require easy to easy plus on hikes. Up to moderate maybe.

how long /strenuous is that hike. that sounds good since we will already be there. My wife would require easy to easy plus on hikes. Up to moderate maybe.

I don't think Gregory bald is anywhere near what a casual hiker would call "easy" or "moderate"

Reactions: 1 person
Big South Fork national river and recreation area is a outdoors Mecca. And Mammoth Cave National park and the other caves in that area in Kentucky. There are so many cool state parks in middle Tennessee and Kentucky it's ridiculous.

That is true. I love middle tennessee. Spent many years coming here because of the farm and family. Now, we live here, and need to get out in it and enjoy it. In my younger single days i would have never seen the indoors here except during work hours. Kept a sleeping bag and backpacking tent and golf clubs behind the seat of truck. Have acquired alum. boat for me and my son. Getting some use of that. I like fly fishing and trout fishing. He's gotten the bass bug, so i am entertaining that for him since that used to be a habit of mine.

Keep 'em coming. I'm taking notes to find these places. Big south fork not far from Cookeville, so definitely on list. The wife is not a seasoned outdoor hiker, so those ventures would have to be moderate to light hiking. And on the shorter side. Don't know how vigorous it would be but Roane Mtn. looks awesome in the pics as well.

I hit Ozone falls last weekend such a cool spot for being right off the road.

I also floated the Clinch river below Norris dam. Was going good till the water slowed, finally portaged at the highway 61 bridge five hours later, I was getting worried lol.

A little over 4 miles each way, 2300 ft of elevation gain. I would considerate it "moderate," but that depends on your level of fitness/experience. LeConte and Cammerer are much more strenuous and my boys have done both (aged 9 and 12). Rocky Top is the toughest I've tackled around here.

A little over 4 miles each way, 2300 ft of elevation gain. I would considerate it "moderate," but that depends on your level of fitness/experience. LeConte and Cammerer are much more strenuous and my boys have done both (aged 9 and 12). Rocky Top is the toughest I've tackled around here.

My son would be fine (14 yr old multi sport athlete, but needs to abandon xbox). I'm an experienced day hiker, with some light backpacking. Passed my prime, but can still do well enough to handle a Gregory Bald type trek. Wife would be a beginner, but if she wants to get out of the house and do cheap budget stuff, walking and day hiking is pretty free. :) She has done Cummins Falls trail. Has expressed desire to get out and start doing that couple times week. For a short walk, it's not necessarily easy for alot of folks.

Last edited:
My wife started hiking this summer and wants to do nothing but waterfall hikes lol. I'm just glad she wants to hike with me now.

Go explore Cummings Falls State Park and report back. I believe it is a new park that was recently purchased from an owner whose family had held it for generations.

Tubing the Caney Fork river looks nice.

VN Store

Back