Super Hot Peppers

Behr

RIP Toby.
Anyone else growing any? I know cali vol is. How's your doing Cali?

I've got two Ghost pepper plants, one not doing real well but the other is very healthy and has 4 peppers right now. I bought them in January and they were about 4 inches tall.

I also just received my Carolina Reaper and Chocolate Scorpion seeds and have two each germinating. I started them the 12th of this month. They say germination for super hots can take up to 3 weeks. I'm using the paper towel method and a heat pad hoping to cut down on the germination time.

Anyway, I'm just learning these are more difficult to grow than other peppers and vegetables. I've learned quite a bit, but still have many questions. Any tips are welcomed.

Here's my Ghost that's doing good.

View attachment 132578.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Me no likey hot peppers.

I like growing things and other than pictures, I've never seen any of theses super hot peppers. I think they look wicked and I want to grow some. I plan to create an awesome BBQ sauce too.

Oh, gotta do some ice cream just for Ill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I can't bring myself to do the super hots. I want to grow some Datil, and that's probably as about as hot as I'll go. Once it gets do hot, it loses flavor, and all it does is make me hiccup.

Of course, if I knew that the squirrels would eat some reapers or ghosts, I would in a heartbeat for pure entertainment.

One squirrel already said he doesn't like them. :)

I've heard they have a really good flavor as well as being really hot. That's the thing with me, I've only heard and seen pictures, I want to experience them hands on. I'm also going to enjoy the growing process.

Reactions: 3 people
One squirrel already said he doesn't like them. :)

I've heard they have a really good flavor as well as being really hot. That's the thing with me, I've only heard and seen pictures, I want to experience them hands on. I'm also going to enjoy the growing process.
I know right! hamilton needs to pay attention.

Reactions: 2 people
Let me think about that a minute. Don't say anything else so you don't give it away now.

Hahaha :) they're good over-all just a little behind where I'd like them to be. The weather just didn't cooperate. I'll take something pics and share.

I used to eat hot things more frequently until hard core indigestion caught up with me. I only dab a little now and then but definitely won't be trying to grow them.

That looks fantastic

Thanks.

There's no way for me to tell you how much I've read and watched videos on these things. There's a lot of info out there and some contradictions. Several things I've learned from experience.

They don't like full sun all day. The one doing the best gets morning sun from sunrise til about 11, then filtered til about 3, then about an hour of full afternoon sun, and indirect until dark.

It's not uncommon for them not to produce a lot of peppers the first year.

They are very temperamental. (Easily stressed). They seem to hate wind and heavy rain.

They require attention and patience. Like a woman.:)

It's definitely turned into a project/hobby. It's more work than I had planned, but it's really enjoyable.

Still haven't received the first seeds I ordered back in April, what a freaking frustrating mess, but I do hope/expect to. The seeds I did receive are germinating and Im excited about them.

Reactions: 2 people
You showed me where I screwed up last year. Planted 2 and didn't believe the yield to be enough for the trouble.
Didn't even think about them being a second-year plant even though I'm well aware many plants are.

Oh well, there's always next time I guess.

Thanks.

There's no way for me to tell you how much I've read and watched videos on these things. There's a lot of info out there and some contradictions. Several things I've learned from experience.

They don't like full sun all day. The one doing the best gets morning sun from sunrise til about 11, then filtered til about 3, then about an hour of full afternoon sun, and indirect until dark.

It's not uncommon for them not to produce a lot of peppers the first year.

They are very temperamental. (Easily stressed). They seem to hate wind and heavy rain.

They require attention and patience. Like a woman.:)

It's definitely turned into a project/hobby. It's more work than I had planned, but it's really enjoyable.

Still haven't received the first seeds I ordered back in April, what a freaking frustrating mess, but I do hope/expect to. The seeds I did receive are germinating and Im excited about them.

One other thing I've noticed is that peppers like to touch. If you plant them where they will touch each other, they seem to produce more.

One other thing I've noticed is that peppers like to touch. If you plant them where they will touch each other, they seem to produce more.

That might be true with most peppers, I haven't heard anything about that with super hots. Not arguing, just saying I haven't heard. I will investigate this now for sure though.

I do know, I had these two next to each other and they were touching and it didn't seem to matter. Now, one is doing good, the other one is not.

Also, watching numerous videos of people with just one or even multiple plants, didn't have them touching and their second year plants produced as many as 300+ peppers, compared to single digit peppers the first year.

These are very different from other pepper plants.

You showed me where I screwed up last year. Planted 2 and didn't believe the yield to be enough for the trouble.
Didn't even think about them being a second-year plant even though I'm well aware many plants are.

Oh well, there's always next time I guess.

Where do you live?

The two you had, did you get any peppers at all? What did you do with them (plants)?

Here's some of the hotter peppers. Hopefully I've got these lined up right.

1. Ghost
2. Habanero
3. Scorpion
4. Scorpion and Habanero

I've used nitrogen based fertilizer sticks (tomato) and apply monthly. They get about 4-5 hours of afternoon sun. It's been really hot lately so they've been watered twice a day at times.

The milder peppers are already producing fruit (bells, Anaheim, jalapeno, pablano, cayenne, and inferno). The super hots have lot's of flowers but no peppers to date.

Note that the yellow on the scorpion is just the camera being weird. Lol

Attachments

• Ghost.jpg
    Ghost.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Hab 1.jpg
    Hab 1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Scorpion 1.jpg
    Scorpion 1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Scorpion and Hab.jpg
    Scorpion and Hab.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Where do you live?

The two you had, did you get any peppers at all? What did you do with them (plants)?

Dandridge

Yes, don't remember how many they produced just that it didn't seem worth the trouble compared to market price

'They gone'

Nice!

Your super hots have lots of flowers, are a bunch falling off? The reason I ask is both of mine had over a hundred flowers and I've only had 10 peppers total. 6 of the 10 fell off before they ripened. The 2 reasons that could apply with mine are, they experienced temps below 50 degrees and overwatering. If you are having the same issue, you might want to do a little research and see if overwatering might be a problem. Maybe it's not, just a thought.

Nice!

Your super hots have lots of flowers, are a bunch falling off? The reason I ask is both of mine had over a hundred flowers and I've only had 10 peppers total. 6 of the 10 fell off before they ripened. The 2 reasons that could apply with mine are, they experienced temps below 50 degrees and overwatering. If you are having the same issue, you might want to do a little research and see if overwatering might be a problem. Maybe it's not, just a thought.

I've not seen a lot Fall off yet but I think you're right. It's a delicate balance right now with lows at night in the 70's.

VN Store

Back