Austin TX

Jmyers1033

The wife and I will be going to Austin in the middle of July. Any must dos while were there? Whats some fun things for mid 20s young couple?

What do you like to do? Sixth Street (bars and music), South Congress Ave (shops and restaurants), Barton Springs Pool, Circuit of the Americas (no races in July though), lots of concerts, bats at sunset from the Congress Ave bridge, State Capitol, and the Bullock Texas State History Museum in town. Lots of breweries/cideries?/distilleries/wineries nearby. If you're mobile try Fredericksburg, Wimberely, Dripping Springs, or New Braunfels (Schlitterbahn - one of the top water parks in the country). Lot's of good barbecue in Austin and nearby. Lot's of places nearby as well to tube a river, go hiking, or mountain biking.

The wife and I will be going to Austin in the middle of July. Any must dos while were there? Whats some fun things for mid 20s young couple?

A group of us went for the Texas A&M game last October and the best night life we found was on Rainey St. off of Cesar Chavez st. The capital is not bad either, a lot of Davy Crockett and Sam Houston memorabilia.

Depends on what yall are into. Lots of great nature to see in and around austin. Barton creek, zilker park, mckinney falls, hamilton's pool are all worth visiting. Barton Springs pool is worth visiting as well - natural spring fed pool keeps it cool - perfect during the summer. Mount Bonnell is nice little overlook with a fun hike to get there, best to go for sunsets. Mid july is actually a good time to go see the bats since the babies will be out by then. Go to Congress bridge during sunset and follow the crowds.

BBQ, there are a ton of options - you dont have to wait 2 hours just to experience lunch at Franklin's. Salt Lick, Kerlin, La BBQ, Ruby's, or Stiles Switch will do if you just want good BBQ within a reasonable amount of time. Rubys is best for convenience and Salt Lick is a great casual atmosphere, it is also BYOB so thats nice.

Bars - You can bar hop all night. 6th street is world famous but there are other great areas - I prefer bars on South Congress & Rainey St but thats just because I grow tired of 6th street. Up north is quite a bit more relaxed but there are still some good places - North by Northwest is pretty great.

Volunteer Kirby what other restaurants do you recommend? We get up that way sometimes and are always looking for good places to try. Last time it was Hopdoddys.

Volunteer Kirby what other restaurants do you recommend? We get up that way sometimes and are always looking for good places to try. Last time it was Hopdoddys.

Hey 3rd degree. Are you from San Antonio?

For convenience I stick to a few places; Chuy's, Torchy's tacos, Homeslice pizza, Gus's fried chicken, shady grove, plus the many street trucks and various Asian restaurants always do me well - Google is your friend there. Whole Food (downtown) also has a great buffet selection, along with a bar in the store- my favorite choice after a night of drinking. Ramen tatsu-ya, 888, & shu shus are some of my favorite asian places - lots of great pho places as well. Austin has a ton of international food - lots of great middle eastern, Caribbean and african choices but I wont get into that. Stick to the ones that are well reviewed as these places pop up all the time and can be hit or miss.

Then theres some nicer places like Trulucks, Perry's steakhouse and various sushi places like Uchi, Hanabi, Tomodachi & Mikado ryotei - good quality but a little expensive. Bouldin creek cafe is nice and it's more middle of the road, same with Moonshine Grill, Salty Sow and Shady Grove - the last 3 have great outdoor settings.

Hope that helps!

Ok... you need to hit one of these places, Baby A's (Baby Acapulco's). Best Mex fare I think in Austin. I know of two there... one south and one north.

Let us know what you think of the traffic there... plan accordingly if you are on the roads in morning and again at 4-6 PM.

I'm in New Braunfels so sometimes we're in San Antonio and sometimes Austin depending on what's going on. I was stationed in San Antonio in the past so I'm much more familiar with that city. Trying to explore Austin more. You've definitely given us some great options for the next time we're there, like tomorrow for a swim meet at the faux UT.

VN Store

Back