Slow day - favorite sports quote thread

AdoptedVOL

Guys... I see it's a slow day on VolNation. Not sure this has been done before but how 'bout sharing a favorite sports quote. I'll start with one I heard recently...

After Michael Jordan had scored a play-off record 69 points - "I'll always remember this as the night Michael and I combined to score 70 points."
- Stacey King

Reactions: 2 people
"With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high."

- Ayrton Senna

Also MJ:

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Reactions: 1 person
You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you? Larry!

Lollygaggers!

Lollygaggers.

If you are willing to include quotes from great sports movies, there is a brief conversation in The Natural between Roy Hobbs and his once fiancée, Iris. Roy is lamenting the fact that, for 16 years, he has lived with the premise that he could have broken every record in the book. This segues into the following exchange:

Iris Gaines: You know, I believe we have two lives.

Roy Hobbs: How... what do you mean?

Iris Gaines: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that. With or without the records, they'll remember you. Think of all those young boys you've influenced; there are so many of them.

There is a lot of truth in Iris' comments regarding the psychological maturation process, i.e. the distinction between that portion of our lives that is lived before the adult personality that will characterize us has fully materialized and the period thereafter.

"You can sum up baseball in one word... you never know."

-Joaquin Andujar

When asked about running up to score on teams Bobby Bowden replied "if they don't want to lose that bad, then they need to get better".

"How dare these boxers challenge me with their primitive skills"

"Everybody has a plan until they get hit"

Mike Tyson

Lou Duva when asked how prison would affect Mike Tyson... "Why would you think he got any smarter? They sent him to prison not Princeton."

Although debatable as to whether he actually said this but when John McKay was asked about his team's execution he said, "I'm all for it."

Reactions: 3 people
"It took me 17 years to get 3,000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."

Hank Aaron

"The more I practice the luckier I get."

Gary Player

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Yogi Berra

And I told our players: you need to be more like a dog! We don't need a bunch of cats in here—"meeeooow!"—lookin' in the mirror. "I look gooooood, I got my extra bands on, I got my other shoes"—Be a dog! We don't need no meows, we don't need no cats. We need more dogs.

- David Bennett

"Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"Isn't it funny how on signing day Georgia has the best players, but on game day we have the best players?" - Steve Spurrier

"Georgia? Ray Goff still coaching there?" - Steve Spurrier

"Coach put me in there to make plays." - Jonathan Hefney

"Have another doughnut!" - Jim Schoenfeld

"I don't really hear what Jeremy (Roenick) says because I have my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ear." - Patrick Roy

"We didn't block well. But we made up for it by not tackling." - John McKay

"I ain't in a slump. I just ain't hittin'." - Yogi Berra

"Come after me! I'm a man! I'm 40!" - Mike Gundy

"Everybody played the third game. Everybody played three quarters. The Bears are who we thought they were! That's why we took the damn field. Now if you wanna crown 'em, then crown their ass! But they are who we thought they were and we let 'em off the hook!" - Denny Green

"Hello? You play to win the game!" - Herm Edwards

"Practice? We talkin' 'bout practice!" - Allen Iverson

"Playoffs?" - Jim Mora

"Cannot play with 'em. Cannot win with 'em. Cannot coach with 'em. Can't do it!" - Mike Singletary

"Remember in football it's the other side of the field but in basketball it's the other end of the floor. Just tryin' to help you guys out in this profession you've chosen that's one or two steps above prostitution." - Bob Knight

"The name of the game is hit the ball, catch the ball, and get the f'n job done." - Lee Elia

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." - George Best

Lou Duva when asked how prison would affect Mike Tyson... "Why would you think he got any smarter? They sent him to prison not Princeton."

fe0556737181c0a61455a2ad3f835dd1.jpg

VN Store

Back