800 Golf Courses Have Closed in the Last Decade

Reactions: 1 person
I never really enjoyed the game..imo opinion the demise is both economical and the lack of focus by millennials...they aren't going to spend 3-4 hours playing a sport.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...-normal-in-america/ss-BBCmGBn?ocid=spartandhp

they were never sustainable in the first place. just how many different places to hit a ball into a hole does America need? all those golf courses in neighborhoods? not self supporting there. for how much of a golf course an individual uses the upkeep is not worth it.

and yes it is also boring as sin and takes too dang long for what it is. its the male version of a shopping mall. you are there more to hang up and drink with buddies than play golf.

and then you have places like Top Golf popping up that are the best of both worlds. not as pretentious. you can sit and drink and hang out, and if you want you can hit golf balls. much less maintenance, no membership increases customer basis, but its still a controlled environment where they make money off of you no matter what.

Reactions: 2 people
I have to agree about Top Golf. Even my wife loves it and she can't play golf, which is really their whole selleing point - anybody can play.

Never got into golf. Tried numerous times. Just never got hooked. No pun intended

I have to agree about Top Golf. Even my wife loves it and she can't play golf, which is really their whole selleing point - anybody can play.

Never heard of that until you 2 just mentioned it.

Great idea by someone.

I know around here it doesn't seem too many have closed, other than like little par 3 courses. I'll always prefer real golf to top golf or anything, but as for people my age I think a lot don't play because of the amount of time it takes and also price. A lot of my friends are just getting out of college, buying a car, or house paying student loans. They just aren't spending 30-40 bucks multiple times a week to go play.

Are you seriously blaming this on millenials, OP? Golf is boring. That's not a millenial-centered opinion.

The popularity exploded with Tiger Woods, and since he's fallen from the spotlight, people's interest waned.

Kind of like how NASCAR exploded and now they're racing in front of more and more empty seats.

Are you seriously blaming this on millenials, OP? Golf is boring. That's not a millenial-centered opinion.

Golf is boring and it's not an attack on millennials...they are just wired differently than older generations. They are much better at multitasking than other generations and are extremely bright. I teach 18-25 year olds every day, and I find that I have to change up my lectures every 15 minutes...forget showing a PowerPoint to these guys for 2-3 hours.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/opinion/the-eight-second-attention-span.html

Never got into golf. Tried numerous times. Just never got hooked. No pun intended

Im the same -- I got a hole in one when I played on the HS golf team years ago, but after HS never played again

Aside from the game being boring in general, I would think cost is the #1 factor in its demise.

Reactions: 3 people
Aside from the game being boring in general, I would think cost is the #1 factor in its demise.

I think so too - most of my friends that kept playing, have given it up because it costs so much --- The local course used to have lessons for kids every year, but that stopped awhile back due to lack of interest -- but even then Little League baseball has been dwindling in numbers these days

I will say that I've never seen many young people playing. I don't think that's anything new with millennials. I didn't take up golf myself until I was 30 (I'm 43).

I don't find golf boring at all. It can be a lifelong pursuit to beat yourself, every time out. You can never feel like you have it licked. It does take too long, and it does cost too much, and it is the most frustrating sport you can play.

There are few things that feel as good to me as a perfectly struck golf shot. I have played for 53 years, and look forward to going out the next time. At this point, I would rather hit balls than play.

I love golf. I don't think it's boring, I hate that term being used for it. It is extremely hard to play, and takes focus, and it is relaxingly paced. Most of those are virtues that are appreciated much anymore.

Reactions: 3 people
Golf is boring and it's not an attack on millennials...they are just wired differently than older generations. They are much better at multitasking than other generations and are extremely bright. I teach 18-25 year olds every day, and I find that I have to change up my lectures every 15 minutes...forget showing a PowerPoint to these guys for 2-3 hours.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/22/opinion/the-eight-second-attention-span.html

Better at multitasking? Lol. Show me the data on that please.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't find golf boring at all. It can be a lifelong pursuit to beat yourself, every time out. You can never feel like you have it licked. It does take too long, and it does cost too much, and it is the most frustrating sport you can play.

There are few things that feel as good to me as a perfectly struck golf shot. I have played for 53 years, and look forward to going out the next time. At this point, I would rather hit balls than play.

Was playing with my brother-in-law once and I had just royally screwed up an approach shot on the 18th after already struggling through the round. I was fuming when I got back into the cart and after a few expletives I said, "Why do I even play this stupid game??" He said, "Because it's so cheap."
:crazy:

I would advise anybody wanting to take up the game as an adult to give it plenty of thought first. It is extremely difficult to pick up as an adult, and very frustrating.

Millennial's tend to be poor and therefore can't afford to play golf…they are too busy trying to pay off their student loan debt that earn. A degree that doesn't pay any money

Tiger made it incredibly fun to watch and there was a huge surge in interest. Now it's coming back to ground

VN Store

Back