Atlanta Housing

ninerplaya57

I'm considering relocating for a full-time position working at a location near the CNN center in Atlanta. I temporarily worked in Atlanta about 7 years ago and rented an apartment in midtown when I did. I never really had a chance to explore the outside areas of Atlanta and don't know if the areas I were in have changed since I've been there. Can anyone offer some insight into good/safe areas that I should look into that I could easily commute from? I really don't want to rent if I can avoid it. I'd rather buy a condo/apartment or even a house if possible. Thanks everyone!

I'm considering relocating for a full-time position working at a location near the CNN center in Atlanta. I temporarily worked in Atlanta about 7 years ago and rented an apartment in midtown when I did. I never really had a chance to explore the outside areas of Atlanta and don't know if the areas I were in have changed since I've been there. Can anyone offer some insight into good/safe areas that I should look into that I could easily commute from? I really don't want to rent if I can avoid it. I'd rather buy a condo/apartment or even a house if possible. Thanks everyone!

Live in Chattanooga

Reactions: 1 person
If I had to live up there, I think I'd be partial to the Vinings area. Main thing is to live somewhere where you don't have to touch an interstate to get downtown.

If I had to live up there, I think I'd be partial to the Vinings area. Main thing is to live somewhere where you don't have to touch an interstate to get downtown.

Vinings is a nice area, but may not be the best commute getting to the CNN building depending on work hours. They've added quite a few new condominiums in the downtown area in the last few years, so I would just check into those.

Vinings is a nice area, but may not be the best commute getting to the CNN building depending on work hours. They've added quite a few new condominiums in the downtown area in the last few years, so I would just check into those.

Thanks for the info.

I just don't think I could handle living downtown or even midtown heading up toward Buckhead.

Back in the day when I lived up there, I was out near Emory and commuting in to Georgia State which is right down the street from CNN. Wasn't a bad commute at all.

All commutes suck in Atlanta. You get out into the burbs and you'll be looking at a hour+ commute each way, it really impacts your quality of life.

If you're working downtown, live near there, at least close enough to ride a bike. Check out the west end.

the Marta train is a good option. I swear by it. if not the westside of atlanta in general is good. I wouldn't go south of there too much, it starts getting rough. there are nice pockets but in general south and west and not as nice as north and east.

I just don't think I could handle living downtown or even midtown heading up toward Buckhead.

Back in the day when I lived up there, I was out near Emory and commuting in to Georgia State which is right down the street from CNN. Wasn't a bad commute at all.

We lived in East Lake right across from the golf club and it wasn't too bad a commute. Of course it was an up and coming area. From what I understand it apparently still has a lot of 'coming' to do.

Seems like all my college friends who are in ATL live in West Paces/Buckhead. It seems like a relatively close-in area for getting to midtown and downtown while also having a safe feel. Other option would be to live in Macon and take the Groome shuttle to ATL ad back each day. You could literally buy a mansion in Macon for what you're going to pay for a condo in a decent area of ATL.

unless you are making straight hella dough do not live in Buckhead. horrendously overpriced. you can find areas for a lot less. also it ties you to Peachtree street. I used to live off of peachtree and do that drive. on a good day it was 45 minutes for 8 miles. bad days, at least twice a work week, it could be more than an hour and a half.

get over the surburban fear and take the train. CNN center is one of the stops on the east/west line.

unless you are making straight hella dough do not live in Buckhead. horrendously overpriced. you can find areas for a lot less. also it ties you to Peachtree street. I used to live off of peachtree and do that drive. on a good day it was 45 minutes for 8 miles. bad days, at least twice a work week, it could be more than an hour and a half.

get over the surburban fear and take the train. CNN center is one of the stops on the east/west line.

Public transportation doesn't bother me. However, I would need my car for work running to different sites throughout the day, so that is why public transportation is out of the question for me. Thanks again for the insight everyone. I may get stuck having to rent if I take the job if the prices really are that high. When I rented my place in Midtown before it was about $900 or so. I looked at the same place now and it's $1400. There's just no way I can justify paying that in rent when I could pay towards a mortgage and actually own it. The other option is I just decline the job offer and stay where I am. I really don't want to do that though.

Isn't there a significant gay community in Buckhead now? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

It depends on what you value. Figure that out first, then it will be easier to narrow down where to look.

It depends on what you value. Figure that out first, then it will be easier to narrow down where to look.

Best advice yet. Nightlife? Sporting events? Recreation? Getting to the beach? Getting to the mountains? Rural? As close to work as possible? Thai food 7 days a week? ATL has a lot of options.

Public transportation doesn't bother me. However, I would need my car for work running to different sites throughout the day, so that is why public transportation is out of the question for me. Thanks again for the insight everyone. I may get stuck having to rent if I take the job if the prices really are that high. When I rented my place in Midtown before it was about $900 or so. I looked at the same place now and it's $1400. There's just no way I can justify paying that in rent when I could pay towards a mortgage and actually own it. The other option is I just decline the job offer and stay where I am. I really don't want to do that though.

Interest rates are still relatively low, so if you can manage the down payment I agree that it would make more sense to buy a property. It should be a relatively safe investment with a reasonable expectation of decent appreciation. You could also rent out a room or two to help offset the monthly mortgage payment.

Buddy lives there. Property values are high.

Yep.... And very trafficky. But you're right, it's upscale and it has everything.

The reason I asked is that a lot of people remember Buckhead in the 90s when there were bars everywhere with people hanging out.

Reactions: 1 person

I think it would be easier if you provide more information based on your situation.

What kind of budget are we talking exactly?
How how many minutes is too long for a commute?
Are you single? Have a family? Any importance on schools?
Is nightlife important to you?

The city data forums are a great resource for these kind of questions as well, here is a link to Atlanta's forum. There's a lot of good people there who can help you out.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/

VN Store

Back