WHO Knows about Ponds, Alga on here???

Orange Daddy

I got something growing on my Pond, in 25 years I have NEVER had this on my POND.. I was told it was from a farmers run off but never seen it before..
any agi guys on here might know what i can do about it??
Tks
West TennIMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Looks like duckweed. Water fowl usually carry it in. I've had it in my pond. You can buy a pesticide for it. Can't recall what it's called.

If you can find a way to circulate the water, it will break up as well

i have a 40" pipe run off over flow.. I thought a heavy rain would clear it off but it did not..
I have 3,000 acres land only behind me.. lots of farming but never had this before..

There's a place in Mt. Pleasant, SC, called AlgaeControl. The guy that owns it, George, knows a lot, if you call and can get him to talk to you, you'll learn a lot. His speciality is algae :))), but he might know duckweed too. My husband thought he had algae in our pond, but turned out it was something else. Anyway, he did what the guy recommended and four years later, problem still solved.

tks I will call him from checking it is as Invol said Duckweed... got to get rid of it, I fly fish for my bass and brim every day but not now,,

tks I will call him from checking it is as Invol said Duckweed... got to get rid of it, I fly fish for my bass and brim every day but not now,,

It looks like duckweed to me but I'm not expert. Make sure you show him the pics. Do you have migratory birds visit in fall and spring? I have a pair of wood ducks that stop in like clock work. They hand for a few days and move on.

It's probably feeding on the fertilizer runoff getting into your pond. It's a good thing in that it's helping to balance out your water but bad if you're wanting to fish. I wonder if you could leave a section of it, I bet it would make good cover for smaller fish to grow.

Get you a few grass eating Carp. They won't reproduce and will eventually grow to five feet long. They will clean up this scum on your pond which is caused by fertilizer runoff from the farm in your watershed. The local Extension service can help you.

Aeration would probably help along with the right balance of fish. Here is a good resource for all things pond:

pondboss.com

I can think of a few amoebas on here that might know something about this.

I called extension office out she said put clipper on it.. Cost me about $100 put in my 4 gallon sprayer. I did 5 rounds of it.. Got out in the boat covered it well.. it got rid of about 50 fish but it did clear up.. I can put more fish in it but glad its clear.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I called extension office out she said put clipper on it.. Cost me about $100 put in my 4 gallon sprayer. I did 5 rounds of it.. Got out in the boat covered it well.. it got rid of about 50 fish but it did clear up.. I can put more fish in it but glad its clear.

Dang! Hate you lost all those fish.

yea me to, i love to fly fish catch em let em go, i got had bass, brim and cat...
I had about a 5lb carp float up....
Gonna get a good rain before I put any back. It has a drain.
I got another pond it did not have nothing in it..
My Grandson sure going to miss catching the fish....

Last edited:
Nice pond.

Extension service always recommends copper sulfate. What they never tell you is when the algae is killed it depletes oxygen from the water and the fish suffocate. restock with bluegills first then largemouth bass then put in 2-3 grass carp(they won't reproduce).

What's the likelihood of recurrence for this algae though?

If he put some Koi in that pond they'd get huge unfortunately they aren't cheap.

Crap that sucks!

VN Store

Back