Going to Japan in July...

BarrythesnoUT

Nico Era
So, work is sending me across the Pacific in a couple of months. Anybody ever been there? What can I expect? What should I take with me? Sightseeing ideas?

I was stationed at Camp Fuji in about 15 years ago. What kind of things are you interested in. Where in Japan are you going?

Practice squatting over an open hole to poop unless things have changed from 20 years ago. Otherwise make sure you have google translate on your phone and have fun!

So, work is sending me across the Pacific in a couple of months. Anybody ever been there? What can I expect? What should I take with me? Sightseeing ideas?

I've never been, but the number one thing on my list would be to have some blue fin tuna sashimi.

Learn to count at least to 3

Ichi means one. ( 一) The "i" sounds like "ea" in "each" and the "chee" is like "cheek." ...
Ni means two. ( 二) It sounds like "knee."
San means three. ( 三) It sounds like "sahn."

Then you will never go hungy... go to any (I mean any) sushi place... fancy or dumping looking, and prepare to be amazed. Never order more that 2 of each type of sushi per order and keep it to say 3 types.. me, I go with Ni-Salmon, Ni-Ibi, and add two tuna. This keeps the sushi master in a good mood with you as they get busy and do not like large orders by folks. Then next round mix it up... it is all fresh and great tasting... on a different level than you can get here in the US. I think I had tire-maki once and it was good :)

Take a day and climb Mount Fuji. I loved it. Still have the hiking stick. If you are into clubbing and drinking. Roppongi is the clubbing district of Tokyo. Back in the day. Gas panic was a club to go to. Wall Street was another that was more casual. Visit the shrines and the culture. They were really interesting. Try the food at the 7-11's. chicken on a stick. Go to a restaurant called yoshinoya for a beef bowl. They are fairly inexpensive but I could eat those things for days. You can buy beer out of a vending machine while walking down a street. The people are really respectful.

One of the countries on the list I want to visit in my lifetime. I know you're going for a work related thing, but I still hope you enjoy your time there!

Take a day and climb Mount Fuji. I loved it. Still have the hiking stick. If you are into clubbing and drinking. Roppongi is the clubbing district of Tokyo. Back in the day. Gas panic was a club to go to. Wall Street was another that was more casual. Visit the shrines and the culture. They were really interesting. Try the food at the 7-11's. chicken on a stick. Go to a restaurant called yoshinoya for a beef bowl. They are fairly inexpensive but I could eat those things for days. You can buy beer out of a vending machine while walking down a street. The people are really respectful.

I doubt I'll get to see Tokyo this time. 4 hrs by bullet train from where I'm staying and I'll basically only have one weekend to sightsee.

Edit: looking at the map, it seems Nagoya is a bit closer to Tokyo than I thought. I may have to check it out after all. And Mount Fuji looks like it's halfway between.

Last edited:
Eat the street vendor food. All of it. Japanese chocolate is amazing also. Probably because they get cocoa from Ghana or they did at least in the 90s. I love that country! If you can, find a place to hike. You are likely to come across shrines or temples and even if you don't, it is gorgeous.

Oh 7-11 mentioned above..that is legit! The food is really decent in there, not like the crap we get here. Also, buy gas if you have the chance. They will have girls in racing uniforms block traffic so you can pull out :D

I worked for many years making bicycle seats at the plants in Oak Ridge, and some years later I visited both Hiroshima and Nagasaki... quite humbling and a must do if you are in that area.

As well... if you feel like eating to the nines... you should try Kobi beef, the memories will be worth it.

I would watch a little film on Netflix titled Know Your Enemy: Japan. Though it's slightly dated I think a lot of the overall themes still apply.

Get some business cards with one side English, one side Japanese. Big gift giving country. Take some Tn trinkets to hand out to people who help you. Try the bento box lunches and udon noodle shops. Enjoy yourself and say thank you in Japanese a lot.

Practice squatting over an open hole to poop unless things have changed from 20 years ago. Otherwise make sure you have google translate on your phone and have fun!

...What

The Japanese people are extremely hospitable and friendly. Have a great time!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back