Living in Tennessee but Working in Georgia

white65

For people that do this will I have to pay the Georgia state income tax if I live in TN. I've heard yes, but I also heard that it will be refunded to me.

Mods please leave this up for a bit.

If you make more than $5,000 in Georgia, you have to file

If you make less than $5,000 in GA, you do not have to file; however, if you had GA income tax withheld, you would want to file to get a refund.

Given how the withholding tables/standard deductions work, you should have a partial refund of what you paid into GA as long as you are a W-2 employee. Make sure you do not include any non GA income in your GA return such as interest, spouses income if she works in TN, etc.

From instructions....

Non-residents? Nonresidents who work in Georgia or receive income from Georgia sources and are required to file a Federal income tax return are required to file a Georgia Form 500 Individual Income Tax Return.

Some examples of Georgia source income are:
•Wages
•Georgia Lottery Winnings
•Income from flow through entities (S-Corporations, Partnerships, LLCs, Trust, and estates
•Rents

If you are a legal resident of another state, you are not required to file a Georgia income tax return if:
•Your only activity for financial gain or profit in Georgia consists of performing services in Georgia for an employer as an employee
•The compensation for services performed does not exceed the lesser of five percent of the wages in all places or $5,000.00

For people that do this will I have to pay the Georgia state income tax if I live in TN. I've heard yes, but I also heard that it will be refunded to me.

Mods please leave this up for a bit.

I'm debating this. Land in North Ga is cheaper than in TN. But is that enough of an incentive to pay the Ga income tax???

I'm debating this. Land in North Ga is cheaper than in TN. But is that enough of an incentive to pay the Ga income tax???

If you had 100k in taxable income you're going to owe around $6k in ga tax. I would think you could find a really nice place in tn and still wouldn't come close to a comparable place in ga being $6k less in property taxes.

The state tax rate is 6%. When compared to the sales tax difference, it's not as big as you think.

I live in Tn and worked in GA for 10 years, and didn't have to pay any ga state income taxes. I signed a form every year stating my residence as Tn and that no ga state income tax should be withheld. The form was given to me by the HR department.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

VN Store

Back