Weird English Things

LouderVol

Extra and Terrestrial
Our language is pretty effed up. Anybody else have some words/rules that you don't like?

1.useful, why isn't it "usefull"
2. their, there, and they're
3. oxford commas while we are at it
4. won, one
5. compound words that don't make any sense if you remove parts from them: remember, recall etc. seriously whats a "member" that we should be "reing"
6. spelling or words changing with the tense "lay, lie" "ate, eat"

Our language is pretty effed up. Anybody else have some words/rules that you don't like?

1.useful, why isn't it "usefull"
2. their, there, and they're
3. oxford commas while we are at it
4. won, one
5. compound words that don't make any sense if you remove parts from them: remember, recall etc. seriously whats a "member" that we should be "reing"
6. spelling or words changing with the tense "lay, lie" "ate, eat"

I hate people who don't use the Oxford comma.

Reactions: 6 people
I hate people who don't use the Oxford comma.

the inconsistency is what gets me.

why is

"this and that" acceptable

when

"this, that and the other" is not.

for some reason the oxford comma makes us capable of understanding the second even though we understand the first without it.

I have never pronounced "bologna" so that it rhymes with "pony".

8e950ad4ca99f61802134398c569921d.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
I don't like the rule about punctuating inside quotation marks in nearly all circumstances. I think that if the quoted word or phrase stands alone as a discrete element in the structure of the sentence, punctuation should not intrude. So there.

Speaking of quotation marks, stop using them as indicators of "emphasis"! They're quotation marks. They're for quoting things! So there again.

By and large, I think that grammar and usage rules are good guidelines but clear and effective communication always trumps strict adherence to rules. So if proper grammar diminishes your clarity or dulls your zing, the greater sin is in not going rogue.

Also, you shouldn't ask, "Is such-and-such a word?" If it gets your point across it's a word, for you anyway. Make one up if it helps, or string words together into a German-style compound word, or both, or whatever. If goatfappery gets your point across the best, then its use is proper.

Most importantly, if you don't know where and when to disregard what I just said, then you should just forget you ever read it.

I prefer the Oxford comma because its removal can create a bit of confusion.

Ex. I went to see Aerosmith, Alice in Chains and Guns and Roses.

I always thought Gallagher did a good job making fun of the English language, especially starting at 2 minutes in.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz3kFNVopk[/youtube]

VN Store

Back