Anyone here into Crossfit?

TnMountaineer

Long story short I am getting bored with my regular workout routine. Climbing Mount Rainier in September and I really need to kick it into another gear. Thoughts on Crossfit?

Any good, bad, ugly opinions?

Long story short I am getting bored with my regular workout routine. Climbing Mount Rainier in September and I really need to kick it into another gear. Thoughts on Crossfit?

Any good, bad, ugly opinions?

Do it!!!! I used it to train for a tough mudder and I'm gonna start back to prep for the spartan race. It's better than going to the gym

I'm interested but is freaking expensive

Check groupon...sometimes you can get a cheap 30 day trial and then you can see if you like it. My wife and I did it 4 days a week and it was fun and really worked

It's expensive, but its the funnest workout I've ever done. Loved the box, coaches, and people. I only went for a year.

I go to a "performance gym". We do mostly cross fit stuff without the attitude, general rules and sequences with a little regular gym stuff mixed in. It's helped tremendously in my long distance running

That's a good idea

Or go for 30 days, figure out the routine, and join a gym and do it for a lot cheaper. Crossfit is part pyramid scheme and part religious cult. We had a couple friends who did it and the people they starting inviting to their parties were odd. I just want to drink beer and hang out, I don't want to wrestle you or have a pushup contest. Add a lot of cheating on spouses and we avoided the invites until the fad subsided.

Reactions: 3 people
Or go for 30 days, figure out the routine, and join a gym and do it for a lot cheaper. Crossfit is part pyramid scheme and part religious cult. We had a couple friends who did it and the people they starting inviting to their parties were odd. I just want to drink beer and hang out, I don't want to wrestle you or have a pushup contest. Add a lot of cheating on spouses and we avoided the invites until the fad subsided.

Yeah I've heard it can be quite cult-like

Lol, I'm with ya. Until they add a hamburger stand and beer on tap at crossfit buildings I won't be joining their activities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
You know how identify a cross fitter at a party? Don't worry, they'll let you know.

Reactions: 4 people
Do you have any equipment at home? Have you considered a video program like P90X? For a Spartan race, some ideas: do a million pull ups, deadlifts, run with a weighted vest, learn how to/practice climbing a rope (there is a technique using your feet), and make a spear to learn on (shovel handle, large construction nail, glue -- instructions are online).

^^^ it truly is strange how a work-out regiment changes people. I know probably 15/20 people i went to college with that got into it and are taken over by the life style.

In my experience the majority of the girls got worse than the guys actually. They turned into what me and my friends call "bro-girls" the cocky over aggressive "i could totally kick your ass cuz i can do 100 burpees" types.

Give them the nod when i see them out but lost touch the the majority of them.

If you're not very fit or not very strong, crossfit is great. It will improve your strength somewhat and will definitely improve your work capacity.

If you've done real strength training then the prescribed workouts at a crossfit gym arewn't going to get you super strong, more than likely, because there is too much variance to train your muscles efficiently.

If you want to get strong as efficiently as possible, the variation thing will again slow you down. I like the Starting Strength method for starting out with that purpose.

If you're already super fit it really depends on the affiliate. Crossfit does not put down much in the way of standards for their affiliates so you can have a good experience or bad experience with two gyms in the same city. Most places will let you drop in for a small fee.

If you're just worried about the price, Crossfit Invictus is an exceptional crossfit affiliate in San Diego that posts 3 free workouts online each day that apply to people with different fitness goals.

Cross fit isn't made to make you a worlds strongest man. It builds overall fitness. Cross fit brings endurance and mobility. You don't get that focusing on mere weightlifting

Cross fit isn't made to make you a worlds strongest man. It builds overall fitness. Cross fit brings endurance and mobility. You don't get that focusing on mere weightlifting

True.

You could just find a basic progression program. Add in mobility(there is tons of info) and conditioning depending on your goals.

It's fun. I enjoyed the variety of workouts. And I met a good group of people.

But it's stupid to do Olympic weight movements against a clock. That requires good form and the first thing to go when you begin to tire is form.

I ended up having shoulder surgery after 10 months of Crossfit. Was it crossfits fault? I don't know. I've never had a serious injury before that though.

I'm not gonna say don't do it. I know a lot of people that were older and in worse shape than me that still do Crossfit and have been relatively injury free. If you do it, just be cautious about how much weight you start lifting. Especially in a wod when you're trying to get in as many rounds as possible in a given time.

Is there a need to join *anything* when doing crossfit? It seems like all of the info would be readily available online.

VN Store

Back