Gander Mountain Turkey Creek Closing

Good riddance. I have no problem with the GM company, but their Turkey Creek location is one of the worst retail establishments I've ever been in. Jmo.

That's too bad. I wasn't a big GM shopper but I went there on occasion.

Good riddance. I have no problem with the GM company, but their Turkey Creek location is one of the worst retail establishments I've ever been in. Jmo.

Seconded. Only thing worse is Kinnucans.

Setting aside how bad their prices were at times, they had some pretty bad apples in customer facing positions.

Seconded. Only thing worse is Kinnucans.

Setting aside how bad their prices were at times, they had some pretty bad apples in customer facing positions.

I was there one morning and overheard two employees talking about having to work late cleaning tobacco spit off shelf items. Apparently two guys had walked around the fishing section spitting all over everything. Sounded to me like they had at least a few bad apple customers.

No offense meant to your personal experiences.

They closed the one here too. Prices were just nuts. I drove by and they are only offering 10% off gun prices. Which basically means they're almost in line with Academy.

They've closed two stores up here, looks like they are on the way out.

The one near us is closing as well. Went by there yesterday and got some good hiking clothes 40% or more off. May try to go to another one in the area to see what they have. Can't beat getting dry fit shirts for $8, would have bought more had more than one in my size.

The Ace hardware in Oak Ridge closed. Ive never seen an Ace hardware close.

I was there one morning and overheard two employees talking about having to work late cleaning tobacco spit off shelf items. Apparently two guys had walked around the fishing section spitting all over everything. Sounded to me like they had at least a few bad apple customers.

No offense meant to your personal experiences.

None taken. Retail is a nightmare on both sides. I've worked it before as I'm sure a lot of us have.

I was talking about a couple of CSM types they had that clearly weren't cut out for the spot. The "I will be right or die" mindset rather than focus on finding​ a solution.

Too close to the Home Depot. Unless they are running specials, the Ace hardware stores down here in Fl just can't compete with Lowes in terms of price.

Downtown Hardware still operating in OR? Maybe the oldest retail store in the town.

The one in Green Hills closed to make way for the Hill Center. It was a slight inconvenience but we still have Ace's in Belle Meade and Brentwood, and the independently owned Hillsboro Hardware. Unless I need something specific that on HD offers, I'd rather go to Ace or HH where I can not have to walk a mile on concrete, get helped quickly, and get assistance to load large items into my vehicle. I don't know if they still do it, but Hillsboro Hardware made me fitted pvc storage tubes for my fly rods a few years back. Saved me a crapload of $.

Is Turkey Creek for sure closing? A number of news reports are wrong.

The owner bought the stores, but not the inventory--thus the liquidation sales.

The Gander Mountain here in Montgomery is closing too. I think i heard their parent company went bankrupt? I may be making that part up?

Meh, for outdoors stuff, I prefer REI, Campmor, Everest Gear and Steep and Cheap.

And the only place with worse gun prices is Bass Pro Shop.

I cringe when the wife mentions going to any store or restaurant in Turkey Creek.

I live way too close the that place. She will go there any time, any day. You have to drag me kicking and screaming.

Last edited:
I live way too close the that place. She will go there any time, any day. You have to drag me kicking and screaming.

Turkey Creek wouldn't be so bad if it had another entrance/exit point by way of Kingston Pike.

More evidence that the economy is about to rollover. Retail has taken a beating over the last 18 months, yet stock market is at an all time high... no manipulation or funny business going on there, though.

The one in Myrtle Beach is also closing. Even if they have a sale, things will still be overpriced. The pawn shop across the street sold guns (new, not used) at lower prices than GM. Has does that even happen?! Mom and Pop pawn shop with lower prices than a big box store??!!

VN Store

Back