Cloudland Canyon State Park

volinbham

VN GURU
Anyone been there? Just got back from a couple days. Nice camping facilities and the canyon hikes are spectacular (though challenging). Waterfalls everywhere.

Worth a trip.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone been there? Just got back from a couple days. Nice camping facilities and the canyon hikes are spectacular (though challenging). Waterfalls everywhere.

Worth a trip.

Yep..used to live close to there. Beautiful place.

Go there when the chickamauga battle reeactment is going on. Short trip over for the day and back to camping at night

Waterfalls are subject to Mother Nature. Last summer I think they had all pretty much dried up. They are working to build a trail from Cloudland all the way to the Chattanooga riverwalk.

Yes, beautiful place!

Check out Buck's Pocket State Park on Sand Mountain (if you haven't). The entrance is a corkscrew down into a hole. The elevation change is bizarre. It's a cool place to chill. If you go, tell Cory (ranger) you heard about it from the biggest Vol fan he knows.

The wife and I went there to do a little hiking. The climb down and the waterfalls were excellent. The climb up, I had a little burn going through the quads. Very nice area even though it's in Georgia.

Yes, beautiful place!

Check out Buck's Pocket State Park on Sand Mountain (if you haven't). The entrance is a corkscrew down into a hole. The elevation change is bizarre. It's a cool place to chill. If you go, tell Cory (ranger) you heard about it from the biggest Vol fan he knows.
I lived down by the lake in Langston for a couple of years. We loved the solitude of Bucks Pocket.

My wife wants to go and stay in a Yurt and take the dog. Kind of like "Adventure Sleeping "😊

Yes, beautiful place!

I've driven down there - beautiful. Didn't stay though

I've been a half dozen times and can't get past the elevation change as you drive down into the pocket. Geologically, how was that place formed?

It's basically just a canyon that is carved out by south sauty creek. If you go to nearby Geraldine you will see a sign pointing you towards High Falls park. All the creeks on Sand Mountain run east to Wes and carve out deep ravines and canyons, Bucks pocket is just one of them. Most people not from the area do not realize they are on a wide plateau that is called Sand Mountain in Alabama. The Tennessee river cuts through it in the Tennessee river gorge IIRC and the plateau/mountain continues on northeast for another 100 miles or so. Check it out on Google earth, it is a cool geologic feature in itself.

Do they still have a ski and tubing area? I have a shirt somewhere that has ski Cloudmont on it

Worth a trip.

We live pretty close to it. Gorgeous place. Great camping! I highly recommend it.

It's basically just a canyon that is carved out by south sauty creek. If you go to nearby Geraldine you will see a sign pointing you towards High Falls park. All the creeks on Sand Mountain run east to Wes and carve out deep ravines and canyons, Bucks pocket is just one of them. Most people not from the area do not realize they are on a wide plateau that is called Sand Mountain in Alabama. The Tennessee river cuts through it in the Tennessee river gorge IIRC and the plateau/mountain continues on northeast for another 100 miles or so. Check it out on Google earth, it is a cool geologic feature in itself.

I'm familiar with TN River Gorge. I never equated S Sauty with it though...I'll have a look.

Google Earth is really cool for checking stuff like that out!

Driving from ETn back to S.LA, I need a crash stop south of Chatt, so I have stayed at Cloudland Canyon, but since I just needed a place to sleep cheap, it was more pricey than Desoto in Bama.

I'm familiar with TN River Gorge. I never equated S Sauty with it though...I'll have a look.

Google Earth is really cool for checking stuff like that out!

No..you misunderstood me. South Sauty creek cuts the Bucks pocket Canyon into Sand mountain. You were talking about Bucks Pocket state park weren't you?

No..you misunderstood me. South Sauty creek cuts the Bucks pocket Canyon into Sand mountain. You were talking about Bucks Pocket state park weren't you?

No, I got you. I know that the TN River carved the TN River Gorge. I didn't think S Sauty had enough water volume to carve Buck's Pocket. By equate, I meant S Sauty is a tiny stream compared to TN River.

Driving from ETn back to S.LA, I need a crash stop south of Chatt, so I have stayed at Cloudland Canyon, but since I just needed a place to sleep cheap, it was more pricey than Desoto in Bama.

My buddy I camped with from Franklin thought the price was high. That said, it was a nice campground with good facilities.

No, I got you. I know that the TN River carved the TN River Gorge. I didn't think S Sauty had enough water volume to carve Buck's Pocket. By equate, I meant S Sauty is a tiny stream compared to TN River.

If you look at the west side of Sand mountain on Google earth there are several gorges and canyons cut by small streams emptying into Guntersville lake. Every stream on Sand mountain empty's to the west side of the mountain. The largest stream is Town Creek. When you get heavy rainfall those small streams turn into torrents that drain for days. It is very interesting. The same effect happens on Lookout mountain, it parallels Sand mountain from Chattanooga to Gadsden. The Little River on Lookout, is about as robust as Town creek on Sand most of the time, yet cuts a huge canyon. Consider the Cloudland canyon also, the streams that did that are literally dry during droughts. Now think about it, Sand mountain is a plateau 15-20 miles wide, it has a much larger surface area to drain than Lookout, when you really study it, it's not that strange.

VN Store

Back