19 Year Old Dies After Denial From Transplant List For Trace THC

This is pathetic and sad. Shame on the government and state laws for sentencing someone to death because of recreational marijuana use.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-life-saving-double-lung-transplant-dies.html

Doesn't sound like it was a law but "international transplant guidelines" that the hospital followed. Don't think that you can blame the government on this one. Also, even if he had not been denied in Utah, there's no guarantee that he would have survived the surgery there either.

He smoked before contracting the rare form of pneumonia that caused the lung failure.

There are grounds for such an option.

But did the smoking cause the pneumonia? I know that marijuana can contain fungi that can cause lung issues.

Reactions: 3 people
Timeline:

He's home for Thanksgiving Dinner.

He's OK, or OK enough, that he goes out with a friend and smokes some weed.

He's admitted to the hospital. Evidently short time after smoking.

Any docs out there who know if improperly cured or previously damp marijuana can cause pneumonia? Or, can marijuana harvested too soon after being sprayed with herbicide/pesticide cause chemical pneumonia?

Could moldy skank weed cause pneumonia? Can improperly applied agricultural chemicals cause chemical pneumonia? A grower could do that out of ignorance or just to increase harvest quantity without caring what the dangers are. Much like old time bootleggers/moonshiners
product could kill or blind.

If so, situations like this are as as good an argument for legalization with government controls as the same were for getting rid of prohibition and bootleggerss selling antifreeze tainted moonshine or bathtube gin with God know's what in it.

And saying, "Don't smoke an illegal joint" is as poor a response as prohibitionists touting absolute teatotaling or pro life touting absolute abstinance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

There are articles all over the Web talking about the mold contained in marijuana and it's affects including pneumonia. I'm not condemning the kid. I believe that there are a lot of worse things we could do than legalizing weed. However, if you choose to partake you need to be prepared for the consequences. If smoking weed is what led to his condition (not saying it did) then he has to realize that this was a possible outcome.

Last edited:
Why do you guess that?

Guessing that dependency or use of marijuana or tobacco could significantly hinder the body's acceptance of a new set of lungs, or cause complications in recovering, or potentially conflict with a smorgasbord of presrcriptions needed afterwards.

Again no expert but I would defer to a doctor's opinion. Seems like the majority of them follow the same guidelines because it was difficult to find someone willing to do the procedure

There are articles all over the Web talking about the mold contained in marijuana and it's affects including pneumonia. I'm not condemning the kid. I believe that there are a lot of worse things we could do than legalizing weed. However, if you choose to partake you need to be prepared for the consequences. If smoking weed is what led to his condition (not saying it did) then he has to realize that this was a possible outcome.

Yeah, i just want details. I googled it and any info was hard to find. Found that it "can" but no mention of data at all.

Yeah, i just want details. I googled it and any info was hard to find. Found that it "can" but no mention of data at all.

I didn't see any data either. I did find articles talking about it. I even read a forum talking about getting pneumonia after smoking and having to stop smoking for some time. From what I gathered skimming through was marijuana causes your immune system to be less affective and the fungi/mold contained puts you at some risk for pneumonia and other ailments.

Doesn't sound like it was a law but "international transplant guidelines" that the hospital followed. Don't think that you can blame the government on this one. Also, even if he had not been denied in Utah, there's no guarantee that he would have survived the surgery there either.

You don't believe those guidelines are in any way based on the legality of marijuana?

Let's not be dishonest

Reactions: 1 person
You don't believe those guidelines are in any way based on the legality of marijuana?

Let's not be dishonest

I'm pretty sure all transplant guidelines are based only on factors affecting transplant success ratios.

There are more people waiting for lungs than available lungs, then there's how long have you been waiting, and a formula for how good a candidate you are. Drs. dealing with death daily get pretty hard and intolerant to certain things. If your prospects for success are much lower than several other candidates based the "who gets the available transplant" algorithm, and is likely to keep you low and under even the new candidates appearing on the list, they will hit you with the truth. "You're going to die. Get your affairs in order".

Let's not be dishonest

Or could it be that marijuana use could lessen the successful outcome of an organ transplant? I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of legalization of marijuana but no one can argue that it is not detrimental to your health in some form or fashion. Anytime you put smoke or any toxin in your lungs it is detrimental to your body. That's why, despite it being legal, they won't put you on the liver transplant list if you are actively drinking alcohol.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't allow legality to dictate your morality, problem solved.

Surely even you're not dumb enough to believe you should allow someone die for using marijuana?

I'm just guessing that medical guidelines involving transplants have less to do with the morality and more to do with the medical implication of smoking. Its not just marijuana that will get you rejected, it's also tobacco, alcohol and other drugs.

Timeline:

He's home for Thanksgiving Dinner.

He's OK, or OK enough, that he goes out with a friend and smokes some weed.

He's admitted to the hospital. Evidently short time after smoking.

Any docs out there who know if improperly cured or previously damp marijuana can cause pneumonia? Or, can marijuana harvested too soon after being sprayed with herbicide/pesticide cause chemical pneumonia?

Could moldy skank weed cause pneumonia? Can improperly applied agricultural chemicals cause chemical pneumonia? A grower could do that out of ignorance or just to increase harvest quantity without caring what the dangers are. Much like old time bootleggers/moonshiners
product could kill or blind.

If so, situations like this are as as good an argument for legalization with government controls as the same were for getting rid of prohibition and bootleggerss selling antifreeze tainted moonshine or bathtube gin with God know's what in it.

And saying, "Don't smoke an illegal joint" is as poor a response as prohibitionists touting absolute teatotaling or pro life touting absolute abstinance.

He was denied due to trace amounts. I can only imagine that means that the admission to the hospital wasn't a short time after. I'm guessing it had nothing to do with the joint

I'm pretty sure all transplant guidelines are based only on factors affecting transplant success ratios.

There are more people waiting for lungs than available lungs, then there's how long have you been waiting, and a formula for how good a candidate you are. Drs. dealing with death daily get pretty hard and intolerant to certain things. If your prospects for success are much lower than several other candidates based the "who gets the available transplant" algorithm, and is likely to keep you low and under even the new candidates appearing on the list, they will hit you with the truth. "You're going to die. Get your affairs in order".

This was an otherwise healthy young man. His prospects were not low.

VN Store

Back