Need some help with choosing a new wireless router

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
Alright people I need some advice from some that know more about this stuff than I do.

I have an older Belkin N router, its about 7 years old. Now its been a good one but a friend of mine told me that since its this old that it could be effecting my wifi speed. So I want to upgrade.

Here are the wireless devices that I have in my home: an Iphone 6s, Iphone 6, smart TV, Ipad 3, PS4, an older dell latitude laptop and a newer ASUS laptop. So my question is, what router would be a good option without breaking the bank? I dont want to spend too much on one. Also, if you cannot suggest a specific one, then please tell me what I should be looking for to choose a new one.

Thanks.

Have you actually checked the speed or noticed any upload/download issues?

Have you actually checked the speed or noticed any upload/download issues?

Yes I have. Noticed I have not been getting the speeds I have been paying for. Laptops are slow, Ipad is slow and wifi has been dropping in and out with phones

Get a commercial grade Cisco for your house. IThe single is so strong it can go through walls and will not impact your Wi-Fi signal whether you have a three level house regardless of placement... Worth every penny

Get a commercial grade Cisco for your house. IThe single is so strong it can go through walls and will not impact your Wi-Fi signal whether you have a three level house regardless of placement... Worth every penny

Thanks for this rec. Our church building is older and a loooooooot of concrete been looking for a solution.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z0V2NQ8

$20 off makes this one a good value
Yes it is a good value, and its a strong wifi router.

Over Christmas we had 4 guests besides my family. 8 total adults with my cell, Asus laptop & desktop PC, the wifes Apple Macbook Air and I8 & our 2 Amazon Fire, our two kids cellphones and their guests brought cells and laptops. All 6 young adults in advanced degree programs (medical residency or MS in nursing pursuing an NP) and they were constantly on the net studying.

No problems.
No problems getting service anywhere on my .8 acre lot.

Yeah, Thats a good deal.

Do you recommend a certain model? Or just any commercial grade one?

Do you recommend a certain model? Or just any commercial grade one?

Sorry..I don't know the model. I have a closet will all the technology in my house and someone else installed everything when I built my hosue, I just paid for it and still works fantastic even in a 3 level house

Ok so here is another question. Should I buy newer cat6 cables if I buy a new router?

Cat5 = 100 Mbps
Cat5e = 1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps
Cat6 = 10 Gpbs

For home use I don't see the need for anything over Cat5e. Cat5e isn't much more expensive than Cat5 and has some other features (lower crosstalk/interference and higher bandwidth) that make it the best choice for home use IMO. Cat6 isn't worth the extra cost over Cat5e because, for most home networks, you won't see a difference in performance.

Edit: Just to clarify, you'll only see those speeds if all the other components of your network support those speeds.

Last edited:
Cat5 = 100 Mbps
Cat5e = 1000 Mbps or 1 Gbps
Cat 6 = 10 Gpbs

For home use I don't see the need for anything over Cat5e. Cat5e isn't much more expensive than Cat5 and has some other features (lower crosstalk/interference and higher bandwidth) that make it the best choice for home use IMO.

Ok so Cat6 would be mainly for business or a super fast connection?

Ok so Cat6 would be mainly for business or a super fast connection?

Exactly. Most consumer gear won't support 10Gbps so there's little need for it in a home. Personally I have all Cat5e with 300Mbps service from Time Warner (Spectrum) and have no issues supporting all 5 of us online at the same time.

Just to compare a 25ft Amazon Basics Cat5e cable is $6.49 whereas a Cat6 cable is $7.99.

Here's another one you could consider. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00P...archer+c9&dpPl=1&dpID=31U6OMh3UFL&ref=plSrch#

We've got 5 people with phones, 4 computers, 5 tablets, 2 Xboxes, a Roku, and 3 Chromecasts. Two story 3400 sq ft house and the router reaches most of the way across the cul de sac. It's got good parental controls as well.

My $55.00 Chairman Mao special regularly supports:

5 iphones, 3 ipads, 4 smart TV's, 2 Kodi TV boxes (typically just one running at a time), 4 laptops, and an xobx one. We have 3 teens and an early twentysomething. Any weekend, we might add another 3-10 devices and I've yet to hear anyone complain once.

I had never heard of Tenda until I was in your position. I did my usual OCD research and thought what the heck? The lowest price AC1900 I had heard of on OfficeDepot.com was a Linksys for over $100 more.

My Tenda has both 2.4 and 5 GHz (+ guest network for both) and beamforming+ on a dual core broadcomm processor.

Unless your ready to drop $500+ on the truly latest and greatest, I cannot imagine why anyone wouldn't go this route.

VN Store

Back