Welp..Time For A New TV

VolnJC

My 15 year old DLP went out today...from my quick diagnosis, it's either the ballast or the color wheel (which I've already fixed once) so I'm in the market for something new. I guess plasma and DLP are both discontinued..so is LED the only tech? I'd like something in the 50 inch range (the DLP was 62 but I can deal with less screen size) and I'd like something that is not going to be obsolete in 2 years..so I'm open to suggestions. I'd also like to keep in under 2k...but if one of you guys want to buy an underpaid teacher with a home schooling wife and disabled child this TV..I'd take it :)

Samsung Electronics QN75Q7F 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart QLED TV (2017 Model)
4.1 out of 5 stars

Price:
$5,998.00 FREE Scheduled Delivery

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elec...rd_wg=FV7F1&psc=1&refRID=N9E93RJSH8FFSKA0J5HB

Last edited:
I have a 55" Samsung 1080p 120hz that I'm quite happy with. I don't use its smart features and it has only 2 HDMI ports, but, to me, it has an amazing picture.

I have a 55" Samsung 1080p 120hz that I'm quite happy with. I don't use its smart features and it has only 2 HDMI ports, but, to me, it has an amazing picture.

Samsung is the brand I'll look at first..I really need 3 ports as I'm splitting them now with the DVD(which I really don't use) and the Firestick which I use daily

The theory that this stuff becomes obsolete in two years is just loony. Yea, 4K is better than 1080, but they only expect half the market share to own one by 2025. Just go buy whatever you're comfortable with and it will go on it's own before it becomes obsolete

I was in the market a few months ago. I steered away from Samsung because they have a reputation for short life cycle despite having very nice picture. I based this in a buddy who had one die in less than 2 years. Then both the Best Buy and hhGreg sales guys basically confirmed it. They said, from their experience, Samsungs get returned or warranty claims called in more than any other name brands. But to be perfectly honest, the picture looked so good in the store it was almost with risking it because a lot of people swear by Samsung.

My next biggest concern was fully back lit panel. If you go to the store and compare you will notice a lot of the cheaper models have shadowing or dark spots in the corners. That really jumped out to me. So fully back lit became a must.

I ended up getting a 65" SONY XBR-65X750D. It has the fully back lit panel and hi refresh rate for sports and action movies. In fact both the BB and hhG sales guys said Sony made the best TV for sports hands down.

Although smart features did not factor into my decision at all, the Sony does come with Android TV and Chromcast built in. I mostly use my Apple TV but did install Kodi directly into the Android TV.

Btw.... you can negotiate price at Best Buy.

My Sony retailed for 1299 but I was able to get them down to 999.

I don't watch much tv at all. And the last tv I got was a special at Costco 42" Phillips, I paid like $200 for about 6 years ago. We've since moved and the room we watch tv is much bigger and we sit quite a distance from the TV so it's way too small.

I just got a 70" Vizio M. I've had it a couple weeks and am happy. The 4K HDR is great, although there isn't much content. And I normally only watch sports which most broadcasts are just 720 so I'm not getting any benefit from it on this tv.

I just happened to get it at a pretty good discount so I figured it would do me well for several years and hopefully more content comes out.

If it has 4k, 120 refresh or better, and real HDR you are good to go. Idea Samsungs die faster is just crazy talk.

And be ready to calibrate it. Most TVs now days don't look great out of the box in most lighting situations. So play with that when you get it home.

Reactions: 2 people
Both of my TVs are Samsung, one is over five years old with zero issues. At work most of our TVs are Samsungs or NECs (I'm an A/V guy for the military). Our monitors/tvs are used every day, typically no one remembers to turn them off until we come in the conference rooms. No issues with the Samsungs like mentioned above.

In my business, I usually purchase 10-15 flat-screen tvs per year. I have used about all of them. Samsung has proven to be the most unreliable. Several of my customers have had to replace them slightly out of warranty. I have found the biggest bang for your buck has been vizio. I'll be honest and say i can't tell the picture quality is different from brand a to brand b, especially in 4k. I buy more vizio tvs than any other brand now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back