All things STOCKS

bignewt

The Scoffer Kid
Lab Rat
Lets see if we can do this without anybody going to jail. Got a stock you like or hate? Is making you bank or destroying your portfolio? Discuss!

Right now I am really digging Netflix right now and their Q1 number are released today.

Was thinking about snapchat but it seems to have settled in to its price.

Keep wishing I would have bought Amazon in 2008 after the crash!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: GroverCleveland
There is this thread ( http://www.volnation.com/forum/politics/68273-stock-market.html ) in Politics, but it's dropped to the third page. Too much left v right crap leaked into it IMO. I prefer this idea for a thread and in The Pub instead.

Maybe change the name to All Things Investments though... "Stocks" is a narrow categorization of equity (and debt) markets participation. With equities there are stocks, stock options, annuities, exchange traded securities, and mutual funds to name the most common. Plus you have types of accounts... brokerage, margin, 401(k)s, IRAs, Roth IRAs, HSAs, other retirement plans, full service, discount brokers, and cash types (CDs, etc). Just my $0.02.

Reactions: LibertyVolance
With a 5-10 years horizon I'm interested in the picks and shovels and other things in fiber/wifi/video convergence and also which companies can exploit the unneeded retail spaces.

I'll list more specific stocks later, but it's interesting that Planet Fitness is benefiting from the vacated retail square footage everywhere.

For the longer term all things health care and financial, IMO, will perform the best. International investments look good too IMO.

Twitter needs to get it together. My only dog right now...

Ain't gonna happen. I sold last year to offset some gains after buyout rumors never materialized. Snapchat looks like it'll be dead in the water as well. To me Facebook is a better value in that sector. I think CBL is worth a look, everyone is panicking about these anchor stores going belly up so it's got the stock down. Pays a great dividend and I think the concern is exaggerated. I think you could see Amazon move into some of these spaces and set up brick and mortar operations.

Ain't gonna happen. I sold last year to offset some gains after buyout rumors never materialized. Snapchat looks like it'll be dead in the water as well. To me Facebook is a better value in that sector. I think CBL is worth a look, everyone is panicking about these anchor stores going belly up so it's got the stock down. Pays a great dividend and I think the concern is exaggerated. I think you could see Amazon move into some of these spaces and set up brick and mortar operations.

CBL needs to get it's earnings up by about 50% or they will have to cut the dividend. If the dividend gets cut, the stock will tank. Something has to give with a payout ratio that's greater than 100%.

Last edited:
If you choose the right portfolio mix your income should be 3 .5% to 4%, a year or 35K to40k per million before tax

With a 5-10 years horizon I'm interested in the picks and shovels and other things in fiber/wifi/video convergence and also which companies can exploit the unneeded retail spaces.

I'll list more specific stocks later, but it's interesting that Planet Fitness is benefiting from the vacated retail square footage everywhere.

For the longer term all things health care and financial, IMO, will perform the best. International investments look good too IMO.

I actually picked up some PF a while back when it was around $15. One of the few stocks I got into after using their product.

Your first sentence is something that fascinates me. A good friend at work (that got me into investing) talks about it lot with me. It's a whole new world. I have no clue how any of it shakes out so I haven't put money in it yet, but I love reading about it.

There is a company in England that creates drugs from THC in cancer and other disease treatment. Been watching it for over a year and it has remained strong. Guess that is my next investment.

There is a company in England that creates drugs from THC in cancer and other disease treatment. Been watching it for over a year and it has remained strong. Guess that is my next investment.

Do you look at your portfolio in its total or do you separate investment and retirement for The long-term

Reactions: 1 person

Don't try to speculate on a company with the next greatest thing in medical care. I did it once and it cost me $50k, I learned a valuable lesson and became a different investor after that lesson.

If you're investing for your future, slow and steady is the way to go. If you're rich and financially set for life, go for it.

Don't try to speculate on a company with the next greatest thing in medical care. I did it once and it cost me $50k, I learned a valuable lesson and became a different investor after that lesson.

If you're investing for your future, slow and steady is the way to go. If you're rich and financially set for life, go for it.

I assume he's speaking of GW Pharma which is the best in breed of the pot stocks. It's actually not too speculative. Marijuana as a prescribed drug should continue to grow. It's a far better pain treatment alternative to the pills that have ruined countless lives. Plus GW has MS and epilepsy treatments. The reason that pot isn't a more common treatment is due to pharma lobbying, the law enforcement and incarceration industries, the misguided moral majority, bible thumping, and brainwashed "just say no" sheep.

No need to debate reefer here. There's a thread devoted to that elsewhere.

I assume he's speaking of GW Pharma which is the best in breed of the pot stocks. It's actually not too speculative. Marijuana as a prescribed drug should continue to grow. It's a far better pain treatment alternative to the pills that have ruined countless lives. Plus GW has MS and epilepsy treatments. The reason that pot isn't a more common treatment is due to pharma lobbying, the law enforcement and incarceration industries, the misguided moral majority, bible thumping, and brainwashed "just say no" sheep.

No need to debate reefer here. There's a thread devoted to that elsewhere.

Yes gW is who i was referring to.

Netflix is so dang volatile. They hit their numbers but not quite enough new subscribers as estimated and down we go...

Reactions: 1 person
If you can take the risk and volatility, biotech and little pharma are still interesting. One company I like is Alkermes; they have a novel mechanism anti-depressant submitted to FDA which I think will be approved.

Netflix is so dang volatile. They hit their numbers but not quite enough new subscribers as estimated and down we go...

They really don't own large chunks of their programming. Once their licensed content expires they have to buy it again and again. The $60B market cap is frightening. The p/e is way up there. How many more subs will they be able to sign up? I doubt that they will be able to increase their monthly fee. The content owners have alternate options for their content distribution. Amazon is growing rapidly in their space. Google/YouTube/Alphabet won't get out of the video delivery business.

Netflix is good for trading, but there's a lot of risk to buy to hold NFLX. Disney might be a better buy and hold company.

They really don't own large chunks of their programming. Once their licensed content expires they have to buy it again and again. The $60B market cap is frightening. The p/e is way up there. How many more subs will they be able to sign up? I doubt that they will be able to increase their monthly fee. The content owners have alternate options for their content distribution. Amazon is growing rapidly in their space. Google/YouTube/Alphabet won't get out of the video delivery business.

Netflix is good for trading, but there's a lot of risk to buy to hold NFLX. Disney might be a better buy and hold company.

I agree except that they own more and more of their programming. They are investing 6 billion in original shows just THIS YEAR. So eventually they will start turning a profit once that library grows large enough. Just sucks that the street is watching subs more than revenue.

VN Store

Back