Going to Cuba next month

I have not but think it would be a cool trip. Some recommend giving it 5 or so years to modernize a bit more.

Here is a very informative link from a family that recently traveled there.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop..._Trip_Report_to_Cuba_Go_Now_or_Wait-Cuba.html

Some points to note:
Your phone will not work there.
You will need Canadian or European currency.
There are no ATM's
There are no gas stations/convenient store for you to stop in and grab a drink and some chips or candy.
You have to declare a reason for going IE:"humanitarian mission" seems to be a good choice for most people.
Despite being third world, it's very safe as crimes against tourists are heavily punished.
You must have a Travel Medical Insurance card.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind having a cat from Hemingway's place down there if you can sneak one out for me
http://www.hemingwayhome.com/cats/

Last edited:
Lucky. And I'm jealous

Please sure to post a trip recap when you get back. IMO, you're going at the right time that being before capitalistic money taints and changes them.

Lucky. And I'm jealous

Please sure to post a trip recap when you get back. IMO, you're going at the right time that being before capitalistic money taints and changes them.
And pictures !

Anyone been there?
Any insights to offer?

I've never been to Cuba, but I work a lot with Stonegate Bank who established the 1st correspondent banking relationship with Cuba. (www.stonegatebank.com).

Even though most restaurants and establishments only accept cash (you can exchange US $ for CUCs at many places but there is a 10% conversion fee) there are places you can use a credit card but it will either need to be on a Canadian or European BIN...or a card through Stonegate. Their cards will work in Cuba with their arrangement.

There's a branch in Tampa and one in Sarasota (soon to be 2). Have fun and get pics.

Will be really good once money pours him to develop resorts in the infrastructure gets up to standard

I haven't been, but a girl i went to high school with went with Obama and all that. She said cash, they don't take credit cards. take your own, toilet paper, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, really good pair of walking shoes. just some things

I haven't been, but a girl i went to high school with went with Obama and all that. She said cash, they don't take credit cards. take your own, toilet paper, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, really good pair of walking shoes. just some things

Sounds awesome

Victory Cruise Lines out of Miami will have future sailings to Cuba. Also, the Sheraton in Havana can be booked through their US site at www.starwoodhotels.com.

Regardless, to anyone going to Cuba please have the proper OFAC docs completed.

VN Store

Back