As Tax Day Approaches...

First time we've owed money in years. Sucks. Much more fun to get Jeep parts, err, a refund after filing.

On a side note do you all use your own tax software? Been using H&R block (in office) for the past few years costing $189 to get them done. Thinking of buying Turbo Tax software Friday and doing them myself.

I've never owed federal. I think I owed NY State once back in the day

I must be the only one here who extends as long as possible. My CPA's return and mine are mailed on the last day after final extension.

On a side note do you all use your own tax software? Been using H&R block (in office) for the past few years costing $189 to get them done. Thinking of buying Turbo Tax software Friday and doing them myself.

I paid that because mine "were a little more complex this year" which is BS because I itemized everything for them. Ended up getting about 2K back so all in all I can't complain.

I've used Turbo Tax for about 20 years with no problems. When I moved back to Tennessee a few years ago, I had a complicated tax to file. I had State and Federal from Utah, Social Security and tax from living in Tennessee. I checked with all the major firms and they wanted $3-$400 to file for me. I, again, used Turbo Tax and did mine for $30. It covers everything that you'll need. If you have a simple return, you can do it online for free.

Reactions: 1 person
I must be the only one here who extends as long as possible. My CPA's return and mine are mailed on the last day after final extension.

I have no reason to extend. I would imagine most don't

I've used Turbo Tax for about 20 years with no problems. When I moved back to Tennessee a few years ago, I had a complicated tax to file. I had State and Federal from Utah, Social Security and tax from living in Tennessee. I checked with all the major firms and they wanted $3-$400 to file for me. I, again, used Turbo Tax and did mine for $30. It covers everything that you'll need. If you have a simple return, you can do it online for free.

It's a little bit more complex when you have a lot of stock in land transactions as well as stock distribution with 1k. I agree with you it should be simple for everyone however it's not

If you're comfortable doing them yourself this guy (CPA) puts out a free Excel version of the 1040 every year. It does all the calculations, etc. but you do have to know what to put into each line.

https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/

You can then use that to file free at:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

I use the free file fillable forms.

I've never owed federal. I think I owed NY State once back in the day

When I was 20 I must have filed my w-9 wrong at my job. They weren't taking any taxes out which was nice week to week but I got an unexpected $600 bill at the end of the year. Was not prepared and learned a good lesson. Always let the employer take out the full amount.

Anyway... this year we got back about 1300 less than last year. That was disappointing.

Same here. I've used Turbo tax for roughly 20 years. Can't beat them.

VN Store

Back