Things that make you feel old...

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
30 years ago this month, Def Leppard and Poison were on the charts and I remember being in attendance for the Jerry Lawler - Austin Idol hair vs. hair steel cage match at the Mid South Coliseum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWTgZUcFd14

hqdefault.jpg

Fast forward to April 2017, I am (i.e. my wife is dragging me) going to see Def Leppard/Poison in concert and now I feel old.

With that as a background, what memorable Vol moment makes you feel old when you look back on the number of years ago that it happened.

Mine was cutting class in high school to go out to my truck to listen to Peyton's announcement as to whether or not he was coming back to school. I got caught by the principal but he listened to the announcement with me in my truck. Since Peyton stayed, I avoided punishment. That was slightly over 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Hearing Jackson Browne's The Load Out/Stay. During college days, I broke camp in the Smokeys and returned to Knoxville just in time to make Jackson Browne's concert at the Civic Auditorium. It had been a fine concert, but, they hadn't played The Load Out/Stay, so the crowd knew it was to be the encore. In the midst of chanting, clapping, whistling, lighters and flashlights held aloft, I shook up a half-pint whiskey bottle and lit it. Flame spouted 1&1/2 feet. The crowd reacted loudly. Out came the band. Browne went into his piano meandering before launching into the first stanza of The Load Out. Everyone was on their feet. The music, the energy of the crowd, the atmosphere was charged. Everyone present knew something special was happening.

These days, when I hear that medley, I'm reminded that I'm no longer capable of hiking six miles into the mountains, camping overnight, hiking six miles out, driving a couple of hours, then attending a concert 'til past midnight. It's bittersweet, the memories of something very special mingling with the realization that I'm no longer capable of such.

Reactions: 8 people
i was messing around with one of the TV's inputs the other day, and my 9 year old asked me the following question, as she was reading off the input options:

"daddy, what does 'antennae' mean?".

:blink:

Reactions: 2 people
What timing on this thread. I hit 60 today. A "sexagerian" if you want to be precise. Time for the Vols to win a natty..

Reactions: 4 people
Impressed that you were at the Lawler-Idol hair match. Is that the one where Tommy "Wildfire" Rich hid under the ring?

a. I got to see Peyton's freshman year live as UT
b. I remember when Patrick Dempsey, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Darius Rucker and John Cusack were young. We are very close in age.
c. Cassette tapes were the way to go when I was a teenager. Couple of families still liked using 8 track.
d. US Space Shuttle Challenger is launched on it's maiden flight the year I graduated from HS

Reactions: 2 people
a. I got to see Peyton's freshman year live as UT
b. I remember when Patrick Dempsey, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Darius Rucker and John Cusack were young. We are very close in age.
c. Cassette tapes were the way to go when I was a teenager. Couple of families still liked using 8 track.
d. US Space Shuttle Challenger is launched on it's maiden flight the year I graduated from HS

i was a jr. at UT in 94.

Dang! Bunch of young guys on this board. I remember:
--JFK assassination
--Armstrong walking on the moon
--Elvis died in Memphis
--Ali-Frazier I in Madison Square Garden
--When Tennessee ran onto Shields-Watkins field from the "Tunnel on the East side of the stadium."

Reactions: 14 people
I remember when THESE were the "electronic devices' that got you through the off-season of Tennessee Football...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93u6POODKQY[/youtube]

Yep...I'm O-L-D!

I remember when THESE were the "electronic devices' that got you through the off-season of Tennessee Football...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93u6POODKQY[/youtube]

Yep...I'm O-L-D!

Omg! I had the one on the right and had forgot all about it...that's getting old!

Had to have some quick-twitch thumbs from my recollection...

Impressed that you were at the Lawler-Idol hair match. Is that the one where Tommy "Wildfire" Rich hid under the ring?

That was the one with Tommy Rich. Supposedly, Rich got under the ring a couple of hours before the show and they gave him an air mattress and a case of beer. He was almost passed out when it was his turn to appear.

I was in 2nd grade at the time and got to go because I had good grades on my report card. That incident scarred me for longer than I care to admit.

Reactions: 1 person
That was the one with Tommy Rich. Supposedly, Rich got under the ring a couple of hours before the show and they gave him an air mattress and a case of beer. He was almost passed out when it was his turn to appear.

I was in 2nd grade at the time and got to go because I had good grades on my report card. That incident scarred me for longer than I care to admit.

Outstanding!! Hope you are not offended but if the reward for good grades was getting to go to Monday Night Wrestling at the Mid-South Coliseum, you grew up in a redneck household.......and I greatly respect that!!:rock:

It's probably safe to say that you and I are the only ones on this board who remember this particular event!!!:yes:

Last edited:
What makes me feel old as a UT fan?

Going from seeing Peyton Manning at Flamingo's on Saturday nights drinking beer and dancing with random college girls, to seeing Peyton Manning on DirecTV commercials making fun of his retirement.

What makes me feel old as a UT fan?

Going from seeing Peyton Manning at Flamingo's on Saturday nights drinking beer and dancing with random college girls, to seeing Peyton Manning on DirecTV commercials making fun of his retirement.

Growing up and idolizing Dale Carter and then cheering on his kid.....

Reactions: 5 people
At the risk of sounding morbid its seeing the athletes and coaches I saw as contemporaries or who were slightly ahead of me in school passing away. Micky Marvin, Jimmy England, Tom Boerwinkle, and Pat Summitt are some of the more recent. Nothing like people in your age group dying to make you feel old.

Reactions: 1 person
I went to high school with Tommy Rich......I wasn't feeling old until I started wasting time on Volnation today, should be working...Thanks a lot guys and gals

VN Store

Back