Insomnia Cure? Virtual (Sleep) Reality

VolnJC

I was going to put this in the insomniacs thread but thought it was cool enough for its own thread. Scientists are working on sleep innovations including sound, swaddling, and new furniture to individualize the sleep experience. Sounds expensive but imagine sleeping in a hammock in the Bahamas or on a chalet deck in the Alps without leaving your bedroom?

“For me, it’s a swinging bed on a screened porch in northwestern Wisconsin,” he said. “You can hear the loons and the wind through the fir trees, and there’s the weight of 10 blankets on top of me because it’s a cold night. We’re trying a bunch of interventions.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/08/fashion/sleep-tips-and-tools.html?_r=0

I think people need to be very careful about separating reality from VR.

No doubt because it's becoming more and more lifelike I used to work with a woman who left her job and family for a "character" she thought she knew through an online RPG she was back in less than 6 months.

A buddy let me mess around with his for a few hours. I'm not even joking when I say that I came out of the thing and the real world is what felt fake. It literally sucks you in and immerses you and when you take it off it just feels strange.

Side note: I hated the thing. It made me have vertigo and motion sick with a headache.

No doubt because it's becoming more and more lifelike I used to work with a woman who left her job and family for a "character" she thought she knew through an online RPG she was back in less than 6 months.

I'm hooked on Skyrim right now, which is just a regular RPG...I see stuff in the real world that looks like the game and I forget what I'm doing for a second...that's not even getting into 3D VR.

A buddy let me mess around with his for a few hours. I'm not even joking when I say that I came out of the thing and the real world is what felt fake. It literally sucks you in and immerses you and when you take it off it just feels strange.

Side note: I hated the thing. It made me have vertigo and motion sick with a headache.

I have the PS VR. When I first got it some scenes/games gave me motion sickness but the more I used it that went away as I got use to it.

I'm hooked on Skyrim right now, which is just a regular RPG...I see stuff in the real world that looks like the game and I forget what I'm doing for a second...that's not even getting into 3D VR.

I find myself trying to rewind real life and in movies because I use my DVR remote so much.

Was it Second Life? That one has caused all kinds of problems for people. Well, the people caused the problems, but you know what I'm getting at.

Don't drink alcohol in excess if you have problems sleeping and don't watch the news before you go to bed

Do you think it could be used to not just influence sleep, but also influence other aspects of human behavior?

Seems likely....we are suggestible creatures. Who knows what advertisers would try to throw in a sleep sequence or a VR game or whatever.

VN Store

Back